Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
I would say the USSR was a shithole, but that's really because of the backwardness of the Russian Empire. The communist party were busy making it more industrialized so they can't really be blamed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014

Disinterested posted:

Yeah, the idea that Stalin was just doing an inevitably bloody process of industrialisation is one of the more poo poo-eating forms of revisionism going.

Guess you prefer a Nazi Europe to a brutal industrialization process.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014

Disinterested posted:

This can only be a troll.

But by all means, let's all thank comrade Lysenko for defeating Hitler for us. And Stalin, for far-sightedly predicting Nazism in Europe when he started the first five year plan in 1928. I'm sure gulags and intentional mass starvation for decades were the only way we could have got to V-day.

Go read a book.

Read one yourself.

Or preferably the post you are replying to. I never supported gulags. And yes, it seems like prioritizing industry while allowing for the risk of a famine was the only way the USSR could keep up with the west. If you knew anything about the USSR you would know that an invasion from the west were their primary concern from its conception until the cold war.

Note: I don't support the death penalty, genocide, dictatorships, authoritarianism or anything else you associate with Stalin or Stalin himself. He was power-hungry murderer. I still think you are going too far in your rabid anti-communism to not say the industrialization was necessary for victory, or a great achievement in itself.

Party In My Diapee fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Jan 20, 2015

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
My nation-state is better than your nation-state!

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014

asdf32 posted:

No they're not. Rome, Alexendander - definitely bad?

Actually worse than Hitler.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
You know how the Mediterranean used to be dominated by Hellenistic culture after Megas Alexandros killed everybody? This is what the US did to Europe after WW2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
You realise the Macedonians under Alexander were the barbarians, right?

• Locked thread