Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Gentleman Baller posted:

Australian pride is growing, mostly through the avenue of troop worship, which turned a national day of remembrance into Australia Day 2: Australia Harder. Public Australian pride out of those days however is still very much the domain of people who like bashing other people because they look different, and pretty much everyone agrees that making your school kids say a pledge to a flag is creepy/sad.

Advance Australia Fair!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

computer parts posted:

Europeans did like 90% of that anyway.
More like 95-99% depending on where you start/stop the clock.

On the upside, smallpox was a huge boon to the bison population.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

R. Mute posted:

you're missing the point, americans
Things we didn't miss: Dresden, Hiroshima.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

waitwhatno posted:

I have been in Dresden, it's a really nice city. Not really impressed with your work there.
The Soviets had a lot of experience rebuilding ruined cities.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Success is measured in the number of time we could exterminate the human race before we ran out of bombs and had to start shooting people.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

nopantsjack posted:

People really see the world as a videogame where Russia wants the World Domination victory condition. Its a pretty far cry from Russia snapping up parts of its old terroritory with Russians in and them conquering the whole of Europe for no reason.
No sense worrying about Russia annexing bits of its neighbors on flimsy pretense. This has never happened before in Europe and definitely never lead to giant, horrible wars.

Edit: Although at this point Western Europe is safe from itself because they'd all run out of bombs about 15 minutes into the next "gently caress YOU ALSACE IS OURS" contest.

Rent-A-Cop fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jan 18, 2015

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Cerebral Bore posted:

You do realize that saying that Russia isn't going to roll a million tanks from Belarus to Portugal isn't the same thing as saying that Russia's actions warrant no concern whatsoever? Or is that too nuanced for you?
Germany is very concerned that gas prices not go up, if that's what you mean.

Ultimately I think we can all agree that it's probably a good thing that Western Europe has seriously toned down the national pride. That stuff used to get them in a lot of trouble and we're all much better off now with the US doing the military heavy lifting on the continent because frankly most Americans don't know where Alsace is and wouldn't care about it if they did because there probably isn't an Olive Garden there.

Rent-A-Cop fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jan 18, 2015

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

nopantsjack posted:

Hey lets not forget that the last two World Wars were started by grand alliances of otherwise disinterested states all pledging to go to war over territory they didn't care about.
I'm pretty sure WW2 got started because the Germans decided they should conquer and/or exterminate the rest of the human race. But if your version of history makes you feel better you should stick with it.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

waitwhatno posted:

out of character:

Wait, you guys do know that this is a troll thread from gbs, right? Everyone is still doing satire? Just wanted to make sure that we are still on the same page. Heil Hilter!

No I think this is the part of the thread where people with broken brains post about how Hitler had some really good ideas.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

drilldo squirt posted:

You're wrong about all of this.
Nah bro. Shooting people who try to escape the country is the hallmark of a global force for good.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Cuba is very good at finding various sugardaddies to keep its completely nonsensical economy afloat.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

A Buttery Pastry posted:

When did the US ever prevent a pandemic that would have killed billions of people?
The US prevented nuclear war by crushing the Soviet Union with the power of Pizza Hut. Saving not only every human on Earth, but also all potential future humans.

Check and mate cubailures. :smug:

Rent-A-Cop fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jan 20, 2015

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Are you Wolf Blitzer IRL?

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

A Buttery Pastry posted:

There's no conspiracy, just you choosing to ignore something because the alternative would see the fiction you believe in fall apart before your eyes.
Ebola doesn't even make it to the top ten horrible endemic plagues that routinely ravage Africa and isn't a threat to anyone living in a country with 20th century sanitation and healthcare.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Cingulate posted:

... blacks ... lovely ... other kind of human.
Whoa.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Because Cuba saved us.
Cuba saved me from eating my neighbor's poop itt

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

A Buttery Pastry posted:

It's good to see you come around to my point of view.
I am a huge fan of their sandwiches tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

davidb posted:

I kinda figured we were getting better at killing.
Killing people is really easy. The tricky part is not getting killed in return and that's where technology and organization really help out.

• Locked thread