Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
** feverishly puts LH and DEVICEHIGH statements in front of every line in autoexec.bat and config.sys **

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
** unwittingly selects CGA mode when installing and is wowed by all the :catdrugs: on the screen **

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
**constantly juggles DMA and IRQs for my soundblaster "compatible" card because mom and dad bought me a fuckin pro audio spectrum **

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

megarace

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
i need to call my uncle to install more ram because the sims needs 32mb and i somehow dont have enough

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

Hed posted:

** unwittingly selects CGA mode when installing and is wowed by all the :catdrugs: on the screen **

same but really had cga

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
*king's quest 6 crashes to dos on the sacred mountain cliffs with an OUT OF HUNK error*

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

horse mans posted:

*king's quest 6 crashes to dos on the sacred mountain cliffs with an OUT OF HUNK error*

someone needs to lift more

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn
i had one of those defective starcraft discs that exploded in my dvd drive

or was starcraft after 2000, poo poo idk it all blurs together

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!
i had a mac and never had issues running games :smugdog:

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

i had a mac and never had issues running games :smugdog:

yeah cause there wasnt any lol

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

horse mans posted:

gently caress I had this same problem.

** calls Sierra hint line to get past bullshit puzzles only to realize I failed to do this one-time thing really early on in the game**

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

my dad is getting pissed trying to install & run dragon's lair on DOS. eventually he starts chain smoking at the computer desk

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Valeyard posted:

yeah cause there wasnt any lol

:thurman:

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

the best was the origin documentation telling you to how to create confit.sys and autoexec.bat files down to the line.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I have 7 customized boot menu options to maximize conventional memory :smugmrgw:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

*windows 95 install corrupted from game uninstall* JUST ANOTHER DAY

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
*lemmings 2 the tribes runs perfectly but won't let you use certain skills together because their animations/behavior can't fit in memory together*

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

quite possibly the worst offender from origin was bio forge which required like 602k of the 640k just to load and start their memory manager software.

you had to load every driver in extended memory and hope your mouse driver could load in extended memory or else no mouse for the game.

I believe some older Logitech mouse drivers could not load in extended memory.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

hmm do i want the dos version, the d3d version, voodoo fx version, the powervr version, or the glide version

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

pagancow posted:

the best was the origin documentation telling you to how to create confit.sys and autoexec.bat files down to the line.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.
*sets IRQ and DMA settings wrong*

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Ipconfig -release
Ipconfig -renew

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

i had an amiga so there were both games to play, and they just worked (don't try and install them to the HD though)

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Hed posted:

**constantly juggles DMA and IRQs for my soundblaster "compatible" card because mom and dad bought me a fuckin pro audio spectrum **

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_A1GNx0M9M&t=6s

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Bloody posted:

Ipconfig -release
Ipconfig -renew

this only became an automated thing in vista

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003

Valeyard posted:

i need to call my uncle to install more ram because the sims needs 32mb and i somehow dont have enough

youth-haver spotted

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
making boot floppies for specific games sucked and if ur nostalgic about that then I hope you wake up tomorrow with an irq conflict

Aix
Jul 6, 2006
$10
see here i have these files called autoexec.xms, autoexec.ems and i just rename them for whatever the game i want to play today needs

gotta keep the hard drive clean all the time cause you just might get a new game that needs a full install so you wont have to load the cdrom driver

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Kirk posted:

making boot floppies for specific games sucked and if ur nostalgic about that then I hope you wake up tomorrow with an irq conflict

Widdiful
Oct 10, 2012

when i was a stupid idiot moron child i made games in powerpoint instead of c or whatever hah what was i thinking

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Widdiful posted:

when i was a stupid idiot moron child i made games in powerpoint instead of c or whatever hah what was i thinking

made games in hypercard, platform of the worldwide sensation and top selling game of all time myst the fallen lords

pram
Jun 10, 2001
sounds like you had an epic childhood

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
what do you mean it doesn't support EGA?

Deacon of Delicious
Aug 20, 2007

I bet the twist ending is Dracula's dick-babies
it is the '90s, and there is time for klax

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
To make sure you didn't steal this game, please get out the hard-to-read symbols printed on this red paper and answer the following riddle:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Last Chance posted:

my dad is getting pissed trying to install & run dragon's lair on DOS. eventually he starts chain smoking at the computer desk

same but Star Trek TNG: A Final Unity

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
*boots directly into Sim City 2000 as it would not load otherwise on computer*

*gets perfect enjoyment of 1hr's worth of playtime before game crashes computer and you need to reboot*

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

pagancow posted:

quite possibly the worst offender from origin was bio forge which required like 602k of the 640k just to load and start their memory manager software.

you had to load every driver in extended memory and hope your mouse driver could load in extended memory or else no mouse for the game.

I believe some older Logitech mouse drivers could not load in extended memory.

none of my boot disk magic ever got this fucker to run. seriously i had like 620k free and it needed more
688 was great tho
http://www.ibiblio.org/GameBytes/issue18/greviews/seawolf/seawolf2.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Migishu posted:

*boots directly into Sim City 2000 as it would not load otherwise on computer*

*gets perfect enjoyment of 1hr's worth of playtime before game crashes computer and you need to reboot*

same, but space simulator

• Locked thread