Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Asuron posted:

You'll have to explain why that stupid gorefest is supposed to be good. The dub is pretty good though I'll give it that.

Crispin Freeman described Hellsing as Dracula through the eyes of Quintin Torantino. And I agree with that, the animation is fluid, the characters all have striking features, its colour palette is varied and eye-catching, it manages to juggle different atmospheres really well, characters have a surprising amount of depth to them (except for the villains) and the violence is visceral but stylish.
The show in general oozes style and it does so without feeling pretentious.

I will admit it goes overboard in a few places, the betrayal is probably the most egregious flaw, but otherwise it is a cool and fun show.

My favorite detail is Alucard's Jackal. When he fought Anderson, he noticed that the latter had "Jesus Christ is in Heaven" written on his glove. So he had Walter inscribe "Jesus Christ is in Heaven now" on the side of the Jackal as a way to subtly mock Anderson :allears:

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jan 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Next-Jin Engine
Dec 7, 2013

Asuron posted:

You'll have to explain why that stupid gorefest is supposed to be good. The dub is pretty good though I'll give it that.

Fantasy is a dumb boring genre when it's just Lord of the Rings-inspired lore and war, so taking those myths like vampires and werewolves and then putting them in front of a hundred guns all firing at once is the only way it can keep my minute attention span trained on it for long periods of time.

And the dub is good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmeX2E5BUXY

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Next-Jin Engine posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmEESOXQJso
Now here are some not-outtakes from Guin Saga, summed up as: what do you do when you have to sing and you're not Space Dandy?

This is SO great. They have to be taking the piss - half of the lines sound like outtakes.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

Asuron posted:

You are my least favorite person now.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them

Asuron posted:

You're a bad person.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Next-Jin Engine posted:

Fantasy is a dumb boring genre when it's just Lord of the Rings-inspired lore and war, so taking those myths like vampires and werewolves and then putting them in front of a hundred guns all firing at once is the only way it can keep my minute attention span trained on it for long periods of time.

And the dub is good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmeX2E5BUXY
This probably my favorite scene in the whole series
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KiWNjh0gpo
Alexander Anderson's voice actor is just so great

SSNeoman posted:

Crispin Freeman described Hellsing as Dracula through the eyes of Quintin Torantino. And I agree with that, the animation is fluid, the characters all have striking features, its colour palette is varied and eye-catching, it manages to juggle different atmospheres really well, characters have a surprising amount of depth to them (except for the villains) and the violence is visceral but stylish.
And every character gets a proper end which I appreciate

E: What really makes Hellsing great is it can go from Nazi vampires murdering and eating everything to suddenly scenes like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBz1GmTbF54

achillesforever6 fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jan 20, 2015

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Dangerous Person posted:

You are my least favorite person now.

I'm only sorry you had to find out this way.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Though the episodic supporting cast can be hit or miss, I really like Mushishi's dub because Travis Willingham makes for an excellent Ginko. It's actually the reason I haven't watched season two yet, his Japanese voice just doesn't sound anywhere near as good to me.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
So, I made a thing on the wiki. Make additions if you want.

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb
I'm gonna go ahead and say the current One Piece dub is good based on the localization of one of the show's most iconic scenes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxdWa2pQTQI

Going back and watching it again, I wouldn't say the The Twelve Kingdoms dub is exceptional, but I still think it's overall a very good dub with some stand-out performances.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3jtQP6caos

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Gonna take one second and talk about Reanimedia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0pdJaHIEXQ

They do dubs in Russian.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnlpV1thaC0

It's a bizzare world...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LMJrAfzazQ

...where even the dubbed songs are good.

(Yes, most anime in Russia is done via lovely voiceover, but most of Reani's stuff is great.)

Back in the English-speaking world:

Excuse me as I bang on for a half an hour about how the Carl fuckin Macek's Totoro is the best english dub of a japanese animated thing ever.

OWLS! fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jan 28, 2015

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Tokyo Mew Mew is probably the worst dub ever created.. There are a few dubs that are legitimately better then the original, like Hellsing or Persona 4, but wow when they go wrong they really go wrong. Kill La Kill's is really hit or miss, even the voices that fit the characters(and some really don't fit) aren't acted well.

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
I like the Photon dub if only for Tristan Goddard stealing every scene

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

I liked the dub for Gundam SEED and Clannad/After Story. Apart from the cast pronouncing Ryou Ro for the entire first season and Dave Matranga never really saying Ryou's last name right. It's really weird because I think he says Kyou's full name and actually remembers all the syllables. Compared to Ryou where he just says "Oh hey, Fujibashi." And I found it kinda funny in Gundam SEED when a character got killed off and his voice actor played someone else about 3-5 episodes later. Not even hiding it, he was just someone else.

Other than that, I'll never get tired of the Nadesico dub or the Black Lagoon dub. Hell, I even kinda like the Infinite Stratos dub for ze accents. Tiffany Grant as the psycho German was the best casting choice since David Boreanaz as Squall in Kingdom Hearts 1. :allears:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Infinite Stratos is so bad that the dub is good, because the accents make the character sillier and the show easier to deal with, especially Cecilia and Char.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Beef Waifu posted:

Infinite Stratos is so bad that the dub is good, because the accents make the character sillier and the show easier to deal with, especially Cecilia and Char.

Pretty much, but even that couldn't save the second season from being a trainwreck. Apart from that one scene where it was Char and Laura in the cafe stopping a hold up and I couldn't understand a drat word of it.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

WickedHate posted:

Kill La Kill's is really hit or miss, even the voices that fit the characters(and some really don't fit) aren't acted well.

I have to give them props for loving nailing Nonon's voice.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I'm really sad about how much Viz cocked up the Sailor Moon release because the Dub is pretty great. I never thought I'd say the voice for Umino (Melvin) would ever be a suprise MVP but Ben Diskin (Number 1 from KND of all shows?) really nailed it and some of the stuff he adlibed is hilerious.

Then again, I'm pretty sure a lot of the funner stuff (Usagi walking off in a huff from Mamrou and mocking his tragically 90's fashion sense) was adlibed.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Feb 1, 2015

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Viz cocked up the Sailor Moon release?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
As would happen if you blew a video up to Blu Ray resolution and then suplexed in reverse to make the DVDs.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ConanThe3rd posted:

As would happen if you blew a video up to Blu Ray resolution and then suplexed in reverse to make the DVDs.
:psyduck:

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Silentman0 posted:

Sarah Williams is super talented and I wish she got more jobs. I even liked her Sayaka in PMMM, which was her first big role I think.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Silentman0 posted:

The Elite Four are pretty good, and Satsuki to an extent. Ryuko and Mako fall under "fit, but not directed as well as they could have been".

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
What, no mention of Gundam Wing?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtI0Aal3C6w

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Every time someone links that vid I feel honour bound to watch it.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Mako's directed well actually, I'd say Ryuko sounds fine too, but I don't think Ryuko is anything other than generic growly girl so she suits her fine.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
I liked the English Toradora! Dub more than the Japanese dub.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Wasn't Mako voiced by the same person who voiced Squid Girl? Because goddamn that's some good work.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Kortel posted:

I liked the English Toradora! Dub more than the Japanese dub.

I can't say if I liked it more than the Japanese, but it is a really good English dub. It's actually available on CR if you want to check it out.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

TARDISman posted:

Wasn't Mako voiced by the same person who voiced Squid Girl? Because goddamn that's some good work.

Yeah, Christine Marie Cabanos is really good. I have a hard time telling the difference between her and Cristina Vee sometimes though unless the former is voicing a goofy character and it gets really silly in like Madoka and Accel World when they voice characters that are together in most of their scenes.

HGH posted:

Sarah Williams is super talented and I wish she got more jobs. I even liked her Sayaka in PMMM, which was her first big role I think.

A lot of the Madoka voice actresses are pretty great, but Sarah Williams and Cassandra Morris are probably the two best ones in general out of the six of them.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Beef Waifu posted:

Yeah, Christine Marie Cabanos is really good. I have a hard time telling the difference between her and Cristina Vee sometimes though unless the former is voicing a goofy character and it gets really silly in like Madoka and Accel World when they voice characters that are together in most of their scenes.

A lot of the Madoka voice actresses are pretty great, but Sarah Williams and Cassandra Morris are probably the two best ones in general out of the six of them.

Cassandra Morris knocked it out of the park as Kyubey. I was pretty surprised considering the other things I saw her in before that was stuff like K-On and SAO.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Cassandra Morris did a fantastic job as Suguha in SAO which is unfortunate because it's loving SAO and she did a fantastic job at acting the character's most emotional scene. Unfortunately, since the was the scene about the little sister who used an internet persona as a replacement for wanting to gently caress her brother and realizing they were the same person, it was a dumb scene. She's actually really good as Ritsu in K-On too. It's surprising that 4kids had all of these really talented VAs that didn't show off their chops in their shows until they had to go do California dubs again

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

TARDISman posted:

She does an OK Satsuki too.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

how drunk was this guy's va

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also it's not an anime but cassandra morris was loving amazing as sophie in tales of graces. the character could have easily seemed like pandering 'oh what a cute' but she voiced her with such sincerity that she becomes really, really likable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7Xvk8Q0Nk8

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The Gundam Wing dub is a treasure and the definitive version of the show. I unironically love it.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

chumbler posted:

The Gundam Wing dub is a treasure and the definitive version of the show. I unironically love it.

:agreed:
gently caress everyone who said "Gawd, Heero's voice actor is too robotic."

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
The Naruto dub has a really rough first season or so, but Maile Flanigan does manage to get it together eventually and pull off some decent stuff from the Chunin Exam arc onwards - her acting isn't really an issue anymore, it's just if you like the voice or not. I cannot think of an english VA that would work in her place, so she's probably done her job right. Maybe they switched director or something, everyone's pretty flat for the first season.

There's so many huge names in the series too - Steven Blum, Liam O' Brian, Tara Platt, Yuri Lowenthal, Crispin Freeman, Stephanie Sheh... Shippuden's pretty much solid from the start.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the naruto dub got ten times better when they stopped trying to make 'believe it' a thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Also whenever they stopped having Maile Flannigan be the only who mispronounces chakra.

• Locked thread