Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

TARDISman posted:

:agreed:
gently caress everyone who said "Gawd, Heero's voice actor is too robotic."

Heero's voice was amazing whenever he would laugh like crazy or monologue for five minutes. It was okay the rest of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Beef Waifu posted:

Mako's directed well actually, I'd say Ryuko sounds fine too, but I don't think Ryuko is anything other than generic growly girl so she suits her fine.

Mako leans a little too much into sweet and surgery, and Ryuko just sounds flat a lot of the time. The dialogue doesn't help.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Sweet and surgery? Ryuko's not even flat, half of the time she's voiced like she has smoke in her throat. Which is probably the best way to capture her JP VA because her voice is incredibly generic tough girl voice over there.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Beef Waifu posted:

Sweet and surgery?

Sugary. Sorry. I can never spell that right.

Beef Waifu posted:

Ryuko's not even flat, half of the time she's voiced like she has smoke in her throat. Which is probably the best way to capture her JP VA because her voice is incredibly generic tough girl voice over there.

I guess we'll just have to disagree there. She always seemed more emotive in the Japanese version to me.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's just boring rear end generic hot-bloodedness. It may not help that I think Ryuko is the most boring character in her own show, so her performance does nothing for me, but her dub voice is fine to me.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I wouldn't really call it 'boring,' Ami Koshimizu is a talented VA, but for the most part she's just Being Ami Koshimizu in KLK. Kallen is basically the same voice.

Now Rosa Ushiromiya, that's some primo Koshimizu.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Endorph posted:

how drunk was this guy's va

Its Nappa, dude. He's never been the same since he found out something something over 9000...

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Kortel posted:

I liked the English Toradora! Dub more than the Japanese dub.

i really liked whoever did taiga, it wasn't what they'd normally do but it worked really well imo

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Endorph posted:

also it's not an anime but cassandra morris was loving amazing as sophie in tales of graces. the character could have easily seemed like pandering 'oh what a cute' but she voiced her with such sincerity that she becomes really, really likable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7Xvk8Q0Nk8

the belated point away is my favorite part :3:

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Cassandra Lee Morris did Taiga in the dub. Woo!

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

whoa

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Endorph posted:

also it's not an anime but cassandra morris was loving amazing as sophie in tales of graces. the character could have easily seemed like pandering 'oh what a cute' but she voiced her with such sincerity that she becomes really, really likable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7Xvk8Q0Nk8

Why am I watching this 14 second clip from a video game over and over again? :gonk:

Edit: I found another one. :gonk:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tales games have some amazing-rear end win quotes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khpt0TvgR3g

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
are all the Tales videos badly recorded or do the voice clips really have that sorta muffled/fuzzy quality to them?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

A lil'. Some of it is youtube audio quality, but some of it is just weird recording. Xillia especially had some recording issues.

That said, Tales dubs are usually really good. Graces has a couple of stiff performances (and unfortunately they're the protagonist and the main antagonist) but most everyone is really strong, Vesperia has Troy Baker before he got 2 cool 4 anime. Even Symphonia from back in like 2004 has Liquid Snake. If you wanna talk JRPG dubs, Tales is a good starting point.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Yeah I remember being impressed with Symphonia back when I played that, though it's obviously been a while. I watched a friend of mine play through Disgaea 4 recently and that game had a loving fantastic dub other than Desco

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Disgaea 4 also had Troy Baker before he got too good for anime! :v:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Steve Blum come back to us, you left us after Mugen and Kazuma and anime's never been the same.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Beef Waifu posted:

Steve Blum come back to us, you left us after Mugen and Kazuma and anime's never been the same.

Steve Blum still does anime. He was Leeron in TTGL and Kadota in Durarara for a more recent example. He does a lot less anime, but he's still around.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Bandai Media is dead so that's one less place that hired him after he stopped being non-union and Aniplex and Viz dubs are like the only ones he's still in anymore. I miss those halcyon days where he voiced every main character.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Was Crispin Freeman consumed by Naruto? I don't remember hearing him elsewhere lately.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Crispin was also in Durarara. Funi got him for Hellsing Ultimate as well of course.

The problem with people like Blum, Freeman, and a bunch of others that used to be staples just aren't heard of anymore since Bandai and Geneon went kablooey. Aniplex tends to use from that talent pool but they dub very little. Same case with Viz, they use from the area but they don't release lots of shows even if they do dub everything.

Since Funi and Sentai are in house and NISA really doesn't dub. You just won't hear em often if at all anymore.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Beef Waifu posted:

Bandai Media is dead so that's one less place that hired him after he stopped being non-union and Aniplex and Viz dubs are like the only ones he's still in anymore. I miss those halcyon days where he voiced every main character.

I don't actually know much about the VA union(s?), how are they? Do most english VAs belong to it/them?

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I don't know much either but like most worker unions, they provide a bunch of benefits(health benefits,legal rights, retirement plan...). One of them is also that you get your rates negotiated for you, which most AAA productions and big studios are willing to pay but a lot of the smaller ones can't/won't. You're also not allowed to do non-union work I believe. Meanwhile, non-union VAs have to negotiate their pay themselves, so they get lower rates all around.
There's this weird loophole/exception I don't really understand where union VAs do non-union work at the cost of not being credited for their work I think.
Recently there's been this complaint that the same VAs do everything and I think that's because most of them belong to the union? It's generally more competitive there but I think there's more non-union jobs going around.

HGH fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Feb 2, 2015

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

It isn't really a loophole, it's clearly breaking the rules, but if you aren't credited then there's no way of 'proving' you did it. Everyone just kind of looks the other way because only big names who are in high demand can afford to only take union work.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Interesting, thanks. Yeah that does't sound like a loophole at all, just literally breaking the union's rules. The union vs non-union pay definitely mirrors what I've learned about labor history, going back to garment work in Chicago. It sounds like a really unfortunate sort of cycle, where doing non-union work is clearly against everyone's best interest, but you can't really hate the individual actors since, like Endorph said, they literally need to do the work to survive.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
I don't understand why SAG never tried to crack down on this or change the rules.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Monkey Man posted:

I don't understand why SAG never tried to crack down on this or change the rules.
What would they do? Make all the VAs starve? Make it so they have no rules and the guild is worthless? There's no real easy solution.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I imagine the ideal is simply for non-union work to not exist at all. This sorta brings up the question of what work the smaller, non-union places are offering - Is it small studios that dub weird, interesting poo poo like Ping Pong, or are those covered by larger groups and the small ones are just taking whatever moe and yaoi scraps they can pick off the floor? If it's the former then like, I don't really care if those small groups don't exist; I only need so much anime in my life, after all, and then the larger studios might pick up anything of value left over. But if the non-union groups are the only ones willing to take risks then the problem becomes a lot weirder (for me, anyway).

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Did you seriously suggest to take away work opportunities just because you're not interested in that genre

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I think if people can't make a living off fair wages and have to resort to outside groups there's a problem and that preserving a job just because it's a job if it doesn't pay appropriately (like it sounds like is happening) is dumb, but you're right I actually did say something really stupid and it doesn't make sense to tie to any genre or whatever.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I bought Tiger and Bunny on a whim to hear what the dub is like and because I felt like watching it again, and it's pretty good. There are really only a couple parts that are a bit shaky (notably Fire Emblem and Kotetsu's pronunciation of Kaede so far), but most of the voices work out pretty well, in some cases better than the Japanese. I particularly like the producer. The localization also for the most part doesn't come off as too stilted.

It also helps that Tiger and Bunny is really good.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Are we allowed to mention the horror that was Terror in Renaissance Engrish parts? The male agent was fine but the female goddamn.

Rapid 99
Jan 30, 2015

Hero will never give up,
never hide,
never be defeated,
never accept evil.
Sgt. Frog is my golden standard for localization comedy.

It also has the same narrator as Space Dandy.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

Fat_Cow posted:

Are we allowed to mention the horror that was Terror in Renaissance Engrish parts? The male agent was fine but the female goddamn.

I liked how you could tell how much practice into London Bridge is Falling Down compared to the rest of her english dialogue.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
On the note of Troy Baker being too good for anime, it's too bad Excalibur from Soul Eater is lost to us forever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-qjg-jCHmQ

planetarial posted:

G Gundam

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhwdPdtQs94

Perfect dub in a sense that it matches the B movie flick feel of the original. Fun fact, Domon's voice actor went on to become an orthopedic surgeon of all things.

G Gundam really did have a fantastic dub

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSHfJuGzUdM

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
In fairness, they basically did a 1:1 translation and loving ran with it. The original doesn't even have the sweet overdub effect on the signature moves.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
G Gundam's dub is absolutely one of the best there's ever been. They nailed everything so perfectly.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

WickedHate posted:

G Gundam's dub is absolutely one of the best there's ever been. They nailed everything so perfectly.

The G-gundam dub loving owns because they added an echo effect when they yelled out their attacks. It made everything sound even cooler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
THE SCHOOL OF THE UNDEFEATED OF THE EAST!

• Locked thread