Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
I've heard alright things about that reptile show.

Unrelated, buuuuuut...

I just got back from our herp society meeting. This month our surrendered reptiles consisted of: 1 carpet python, 7 ball pythons, 2 bearded dragons (one with mbd), 1 sulcata, 1 asian box turtle, 1 greek tortoise, 3 painted turtles, and 2 red eared sliders. No boas, no colubrids, which is good for me because I don't deal with anything else.

About half were adopted, because lol can't give away normal ball pythons. The red eared sliders and painted turtles always go to one member who I guess has a massive indoor pond and just tosses them all in. No one wants them, ever. All but one of those snakes had bits of stuck shed.

Please do not buy a red ear or a painted or a normal beardie or normal ball if aren't sure you want them. Forever. They live a long time. Get something with monetary value so someone else will want it when you are done. Ahhh I'm so frustrated.

We may be approaching the capacity of our members to take in certain kinds of animals and might have to start euthing them. :( booo hisss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Picked up my first herp, a young royal python.
Bought it from a friend who bred him, currently eats rat pups.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

How much did you pay for it?

Galactic
Mar 25, 2009

Planetary

Just picked this little guy up from the NoVA expo. Will get some more pics once he's settled in and eaten a bit. Super citrus x German giant they said, I just found him to be very pretty.

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT

Galactic posted:

Just picked this little guy up from the NoVA expo. Will get some more pics once he's settled in and eaten a bit. Super citrus x German giant they said, I just found him to be very pretty.

Pretty little dude :3

Galactic
Mar 25, 2009

Planetary
Couple of dubias later he has started scampering around his new home. I even picked him up for a bit.

Then Kola caught sight of him and was none to pleased. So I put him back before she stressed him out :(

I haven't had a juvenile in so long, it's crazy how much bigger Kola, my 2 year old female, is than him. Probably will pick a scale up so I can record his weight as he grows. Also is it normal for them to be this friendly? I don't remember my others crawling right into my hand at this age.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

How much did you pay for it?

£60

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
I found eggs in the house gecko cage while I was moving them to a nicer enclosure. I hope I didn't gently caress anything up too bad, but I'm sure they will make more eggs for me and maybe lay them somewhere that I can take them out and incubate them.
Eggs

New cage, still need to add some more climbing stuff.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Silver Nitrate posted:

I found eggs in the house gecko cage while I was moving them to a nicer enclosure. I hope I didn't gently caress anything up too bad, but I'm sure they will make more eggs for me and maybe lay them somewhere that I can take them out and incubate them.
Eggs

New cage, still need to add some more climbing stuff.

you could probably just hatch the house gecko eggs in the enclosure.

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
Yeah that's what I'm doing. I laser tempted them before I moved the log and I put it in a spot in the new cage that has the same temp and leaf cover. I'm just worried about the babies escaping because the exo has those air vents

Silver Nitrate fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Feb 8, 2015

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
The green anaconda lives in the amazona and also in my apartment. He is ~8 months old, around 36", and eats f/t day old chicks. He will probably mature around 9ft, which is how big his father was. Despite the dumbass kid that bought him, I have since found out where he came from and this is a well bred greenie. Both of his parents are super tame and used for educational demonstrations.

This is his cage, it's 4'x2'x1'. He's got a swimming area about 1/3 of the cage. He will get an 8'x3'x3' cage when he needs it if I decide to keep him. My Cali King is doing a photobomb.

He spends most of his time burrowed. Can you find him?

Here he is!

He's a very pretty little thing.

My favorite part are his eyes, which stick out very far, from all angles.

Under his head.

Itty bitty spurs

He's a pretty cool little dude. :3:

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

"It's video games, Scully."
Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."
Uh. I really want to tell a dumb story. On the topic of dumb kids. I was a really dumb kid I'd say into my early twenties, at least with respect to animals. But around 10 I had a series of turtles, some kind of Asian land variety (?) which on average lasted for about a month. They were pretty easy to obtain at a local sort of flea market. One of them I even acquired sick and it died about a week later, I think. Another ran away when I let it out for a walk on a beach. I'm pretty sure there was a third but I don't remember what happened to that one. Pets seemed to be passed around quite haphazardly at that time and place so I guess my parents didn't worry that much. And of course the turtles were illegally captured in the wild and trafficked over there.

Anyway, in view of those and other regrettable experiences I've formed a strong opinion that I'm just about fit to care for my one cat... if I don't forget to write myself detailed reminders and occasionally come over to PI to get yelled at as a prophylactic measure.

From Googling they may have been "Indotestudo elongata", but I think the face was darker, although the rest of the appearance checks out as far as I remember.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

How slow do you have to be to lose a turtle? You don't need PI, you need YLLS (or whatever it's called now).

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW
So a friend of mine was moving and I volunteered to take over ownership of his ball python, since he didn't know anyone else who was into herps and didn't feel comfortable giving her to someone on craigslist. Never done a snake before. Welp.

No idea on the gender or age or anything, and its been hiding ever since I moved it in.

I'm sure I'll learn plenty in the coming weeks, but a quick question: the only place I can fit the terrarium is right next to one of my tower speakers. I don't play music often, but how much will this piss off a snake? I should probably just rearrange my room, huh?

I'm already warming up to the snake a lot, but not going to lie, I'm a bit sad that this will delay my ~pixie frog dreamz~

HEY VAPER fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Feb 10, 2015

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
Snakes don't have ears, they sense vibrations with their jawbones. If you play you stereo at anything louder than like, normal talking volume I would recommend rearranging things. Congrats on your new pet rock, btw. :3:

Galactic
Mar 25, 2009

Planetary
Bearded dragons are so loving goofy. Found this little guy doing barrel rolls in the corner or his tank.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Galactic posted:

Bearded dragons are so loving goofy. Found this little guy doing barrel rolls in the corner or his tank.

Rolling is hilariously caused by agony or sickness. Funnily enough, you should probably be at a vet with it if it's doing barrel rolls.

E: Reptiles don't roll for fun. Find a herp vet. Might be something as simple as an ear infection. Might even be that it's threatened, however it sounds like you caught it in the act so I'm leaning sickness.

E2: Hoodie or 126 or somebody is going to call me on that so reptiles don't roll for fun like 99.99999% of the time. Gosh.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Rolling can be symptomatic of: infection, dehydration, head trauma, hypocalcemia, and other issues. Seconding that you should at the very least call a vet experienced with herps and discuss the issue, and probably bring the dragon in for an appointment.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles
Or you know, it got stuck between the log and the glass?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Sure, that's also possible, but we already know that this is a recent acquisition and he may also be underweight. Without more information, it's worth pointing out that rolling is a symptom of disease among bearded dragons, because an owner might not know that. We do not have to be hyperbolic like Fluffy, of course, but we can at least help a herp owner be better-informed.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Leperflesh posted:

Sure, that's also possible, but we already know that this is a recent acquisition and he may also be underweight. Without more information, it's worth pointing out that rolling is a symptom of disease among bearded dragons, because an owner might not know that. We do not have to be hyperbolic like Fluffy, of course, but we can at least help a herp owner be better-informed.

Fair enough. I was just going by the tone of the post. Ive seen the writhing and barrel rolling caused by infection and it isnt something I'd describe as "goofy".

Galactic
Mar 25, 2009

Planetary
I probably should have been more specific. He was jumping to grab the top of the screen, failing, and falling. He would flip back over and do it a few more times before running around some more. If he was just sitting there rolling around I would be concerned, but considering his appetite, alertness, and activity level, I doubt he is sick.

Aphelion Necrology
Jul 17, 2005

Take care of the dead and the dead will take care of you
Then he's probably just being stupid.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Well that's good news. :)

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles
Think another FB meltdown is brewing.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Big Centipede posted:

Think another FB meltdown is brewing.

Facebook is fine? :confused:

That sounds more like a flip than a barrel roll so yeah he's probably just being an idiot. Like, hopefully anyhow.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Facebook is fine? :confused:

That sounds more like a flip than a barrel roll so yeah he's probably just being an idiot. Like, hopefully anyhow.

Was referring to you. You seem to be weirdly acerbic to minor things lately.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Big Centipede posted:

Was referring to you. You seem to be weirdly acerbic to minor things lately.

Talk to silver nitrate imo

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

What about?

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Let's take this outside, lagomorph

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Silver Nitrate posted:

Let's take this outside, lagomorph

Is this going to be a cyberfight? Neat.

Aphelion Necrology
Jul 17, 2005

This is lame. Someone please start talking about declawing monitors or fighting turtle rings.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles
I breed hybrids and release them. I feed live. I house snakes together. I feed in the cage. I use hot rocks. I house my animals on calci sand

Galactic
Mar 25, 2009

Planetary
I once read about spaying bearded dragons, which seems like the worst idea ever.

Aphelion Necrology
Jul 17, 2005

I don't neuter any of my snakes for personal reasons

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Whenever somebody comes over I scream "Not for sale!" and throw my snakes in their faces.

Aphelion Necrology
Jul 17, 2005

Whenever someone comes over I stuff snakes in their pockets and hope they leave and never bring them back.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles
Nobody ever comes over :(

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
Stop leaving snakes and scorpions in secondhand tupperware still labeled "christmas cookies" lying around on random counters then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
I don't let people come over on Wednesdays. That's when everyone poops :(

its wednesday kill me now poops everywhere