Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
Serious post, my googlefu has failed me. Does anyone know how long flat tailed house gecko eggs take to hatch? My local reptile store said most geckos that walk on glass take 60-75 days but does anyone know for real? Also, why the gently caress are they so drat noisey??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foou Manchu
Jun 1, 2006
Organic seed supplier
Hey, so I got my first snake in the last thread, a little over two years ago. I just now got my 6th snake (a cutey hypo Honduran that poops seemingly more than he eats) now none of my friends come over, and I'm starting to be compared to a crazy cat lady. All in all I'm a pretty happy dude. Just thought I'd let you all know.

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

"It's video games, Scully."
Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."
Any recommendations about what I could read, or better watch, about interactions of pet reptiles with their owners? I'm still interested in how domestic they can be, so, you know, I'd appreciate both the "I don't give any fucks whether you exist" and the "woo, yes, belly rubs" (if this exists) perspectives. Or perhaps even only watch, because the selectivity and distortions of books can be very heavy. (While in videos there's at least something beyond the words.)

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

supermikhail posted:

Any recommendations about what I could read, or better watch, about interactions of pet reptiles with their owners? I'm still interested in how domestic they can be, so, you know, I'd appreciate both the "I don't give any fucks whether you exist" and the "woo, yes, belly rubs" (if this exists) perspectives. Or perhaps even only watch, because the selectivity and distortions of books can be very heavy. (While in videos there's at least something beyond the words.)

you're not going to see anything close to affection in any snakes, although, I have heard keepers I know aren't idiots say that some monitors, tegus, and tortoises genuinely seem to seek out their keeper's attention. This is almost certainly due to some kind of feeding conditioning, but it's probably as close as youre going to see to affection.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Silver Nitrate posted:

Serious post, my googlefu has failed me. Does anyone know how long flat tailed house gecko eggs take to hatch? My local reptile store said most geckos that walk on glass take 60-75 days but does anyone know for real? Also, why the gently caress are they so drat noisey??

that sounds about reasonable I'd think.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Foou Manchu posted:

Hey, so I got my first snake in the last thread, a little over two years ago. I just now got my 6th snake (a cutey hypo Honduran that poops seemingly more than he eats) now none of my friends come over, and I'm starting to be compared to a crazy cat lady. All in all I'm a pretty happy dude. Just thought I'd let you all know.

congrats you loving weirdo.

Ireland Sucks
May 16, 2004

Big Centipede posted:

you're not going to see anything close to affection in any snakes, although, I have heard keepers I know aren't idiots say that some monitors, tegus, and tortoises genuinely seem to seek out their keeper's attention. This is almost certainly due to some kind of feeding conditioning, but it's probably as close as youre going to see to affection.

I'm sure it doesn't prove affection and they are just trying to get out of the enclosure or sit on someone warm or something but this video has always been encouraging about getting some sort of dog like affection from Tegus https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwEbPZvhE_o

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Ireland Sucks posted:

I'm sure it doesn't prove affection and they are just trying to get out of the enclosure but this video has always been encouraging about getting some sort of dog like affection from Tegus https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwEbPZvhE_o

I've seen that video. Personally, I think it's simple conditioning to associate their keeper with food, but who knows?

I've kept a wide variety of reptiles and have never personally witnessed what I'd interpret as affection or intelligence. The closest I've seen is with rufous beaked snakes (Rhamphiophis oxyrhynchus). They have an odd, almost birdlike attitude. They would perch in my hands and crane their heads around just watching everything in the room. Very cool snakes.

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."
While I'm as skeptical as everyone, I can also see some positives. (Oh, also, the guy in the video also probably could test whether they were trying to get out. My bet is, no.) The tegus ignored the food, plus they learned that it's okay to approach and climb a human. Although even ruling out food and heat, I wouldn't go as far as attribute them with affection. Do they have a pack leader in the wild or interact with any large animals? (And in fact, what kind of tegu is that? :confused:)

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
I have one snake that will crawl up my arm and on to my shoulders when I stick my hand in his cage. I think he just likes to climb and look around, but it is pretty cool. Everyone else tolerates or is indifferent to handling (or tries to eat me).

Also I am jealous of the rufos. They're like alien worms.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

supermikhail posted:

My turtle hates/fears me most of the time, but if I run my finger along the glass of her tank, she will chase after it. It's not affection in any sense of the word, but it provides some level of interaction between me and my pet.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I remember someone posting that her crestie will tap the window until she takes it out for a bit and is calm again when returned.

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

Video games?"
"Hmm... interesting."
drat, I'm so confused by those that climb up on people. There barely seems to be anything going on in that head, and a snake or lizard should naturally avoid a large animal like a human, but here it is. Makes me want to get into their heads with some heavy machinery, but Google seems to only get studies of the effect of snakes on people's brain function. :sigh:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

You are way overthinking a tiny derp animal, man. Gecko wants up because they have no sense of self preservation and because human is high from ground which is Great.

My two huge corns are the only ones that are even remotely affectionate and that's just because they like my body heat. Hell, one of my smaller corns bit me just because I was cleaning his cage. So I was a fucker and picked him up and carried him around for 45 minutes while getting bit repeatedly because hey guess what shitlord if you bite while in your box you don't get to stay in there! But when you're good for 20 minutes you can go back.

Big Centipede posted:

congrats you loving weirdo.

Uh oh is there a BC meltdown brewing

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

:theroni:
I have a bunch of ball pythons and they're all pretty much dumb, fat rocks that eat and poo poo. None of them are affectionate, not even to each other. Watching them gently caress is like watching paint dry.

Aphelion Necrology
Jul 17, 2005

Take care of the dead and the dead will take care of you
My Boiga like to give me kisses all over and then I feel tingly and sleepy.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

My green tree python lures me over to her cage with cute little tail waving and then kisses me much like the boiga must do. :love:

E: here is an old gif. Now she is green but still gives kisses.

HungryMedusa fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Feb 12, 2015

Galactic
Mar 25, 2009

Planetary
Bearded dragons show something that resembles affection, but it's more just a tolerance than anything else. They are to lazy to run away from you,so will just snuggle to get warm and comfy.

supermikhail posted:

drat, I'm so confused by those that climb up on people. There barely seems to be anything going on in that head, and a snake or lizard should naturally avoid a large animal like a human, but here it is. Makes me want to get into their heads with some heavy machinery, but Google seems to only get studies of the effect of snakes on people's brain function. :sigh:

Look up the study on bearded dragons learning to open doors, wish mine were that smart.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Snakes clearly feel affection. For proof I'd like to refer you to the non-fiction research masterpiece: Wizard and Glass.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

My bearded dragon shows a lot of emotion. He's very grumpy.

Duckbill
Nov 7, 2008

Nice weather for it.
Grimey Drawer
My corn will climb inside clothes and go up sleeves, but that's just because it's winter and body heat is lovely. I'm not sure he actually understands that I'm an animal.

When he isn't being lazy it's pretty good fun to watch him wandering around the tank, though. I put a big piece of driftwood in there that I got from the local fishtank supply shop, and he'll climb on that and try to poke his nose against the screen lid because ??? snake reasons. He can also climb all the way up the exo-terra tank background and down the other side.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

If you want to look for advanced emotions beyond fear, hunger, etc. you need to look at social species, and for the most part reptiles are solitary outside of the breeding season so there hasn't really been a lot of opportunity for that kind of thing to evolve. You'll hear stories of things like iguanas only letting their owner get near them, or defending the owner when on their back, but this is probably along the lines of, "I recognize you as a non-threat that feeds me" or "piss off, this is my non-threat that feeds me."

You might find something closer to mammal emotions in tortoises. These are long-lived animals that can have some degree of social lives, interacting with each other for decades or centuries.

This video seems to show altruism in two tortoises. Is that what's really going on? It definitely looks like the tortoise recognizes that the other is stuck and purposely attempts to help it, but whether or not that's actually what's happening, I have no idea. For all I know, the turtle saw a helpless turtle and decided to try mating with it, and the other turtle seized the opportunity and used it to flip himself over.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJ87DJl_jbc

Monitors might be cognitive enough to have more complex emotions, as well as some other groups, but I don't really know how far they actually go. I'd argue that the vast majority of non-avian reptiles, or maybe even still the majority once you include birds, have very limited emotions. Snakes are completely non-social, with a few exceptions such as rattlesnakes, and most lizards aren't social, either. Crocodilians and some lizards might be somewhere to look, but you're never going to find anything like love or whatever. I tend to think that people generally don't give animals enough credit with this kinda thing, but with reptiles and amphibians, they probably get too much (anthropomorphizing).

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Im gonna need you to strap on your contextual thinking helmet and try again to decide if my remark was sincere or in jest.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Big Centipede posted:

Im gonna need you to strap on your contextual thinking helmet and try again to decide if my remark was sincere or in jest.

Did you just invite me to work a strapon on you because hey baby c'mere

E: Snakes! Hey! Snakes are great! I love my snakes.

E2: VVVV I didn't say poo poo about you bein in, that's why I have the strap on

Fluffy Bunnies fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Feb 13, 2015

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Did you just invite me to work a strapon on you because hey baby c'mere

E: Snakes! Hey! Snakes are great! I love my snakes.

Sorry, im not into fat wiccans covered in dog jizz.

Aphelion Necrology
Jul 17, 2005

I should probably put a disclaimer in the OP banning anyone who fucks animals or wants to gently caress other posters in this thread.

On topic - crocodilians are thought to have a really wide range of emotions, as 126 mentions that in his post. I really do think most reptile behaviour is mistaken as emotions by humans because they have to force some sort of bonded relationship with their boring pets.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

:ironicat:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Hood Ornament posted:

I should probably put a disclaimer in the OP banning anyone who fucks animals or wants to gently caress other posters in this thread.

On topic - crocodilians are thought to have a really wide range of emotions, as 126 mentions that in his post. I really do think most reptile behaviour is mistaken as emotions by humans because they have to force some sort of bonded relationship with their boring pets.

I mean that's pretty much it on key. They want the animal to feel something and it just lays there not really giving a poo poo until you feed it for the most part with most species. Crocodilians are loving fascinating though. Even their weird social structure that's not really social (I don't have a great word for it) is more complex than other herps, yeah?

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
Hey. HEY! My Herps totally love me! I'm not just a gaint walking heating pad who delivers food to them without them having to actually spend energy finding! They totally love me?!?!?! Oh, god I'm going to die alone. :(

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Hood Ornament posted:

If all of PI had this rule, FB couldn't post anywhere

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Duckbill posted:

My corn will climb inside clothes and go up sleeves, but that's just because it's winter and body heat is lovely. I'm not sure he actually understands that I'm an animal.

I've only had my royal python just over a week but that's how he seems to treat me. He'll wrap around my arm or hand and laze about or slither off and explore the desk.

It's amazing how much grip he has when he decides to go somewhere he isn't allowed and I have to pull him back.

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

:theroni:
This thread needs more pictures.

One of my dumb pet rocks. A lesser ball python. She just shed this morning. There was a tiny piece of shed stuck to the back of her neck (you can see it in the pic) but I wiped it off with a damp towel.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

E: ^^^^ I like that snake and I don't even like ball pythons most of the time.

Fraction posted:

If all of PI had this rule, FB couldn't post anywhere

Are we carrying on again? (ftr the only actually honest thing anybody's said about me in this thread lately is that I'm a fat rear end, jfc I don't gently caress my dog and I'm not a wiccan and me jacking around isn't a meltdown and I'm not nuts. People aren't always serious on the internet Deadpan Island)

CompactFanny
Oct 1, 2008

She can dish it out but she can't take it

Eta content: I don't have any reptiles but I always read about them in these threads and if I ever had one, I would choose this: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carpet_Python

I think they are beautiful. Anyone have personal carpet python experience?

CompactFanny fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Feb 13, 2015

Aphelion Necrology
Jul 17, 2005

CompactFanny posted:

She can dish it out but she can't take it

Eta content: I don't have any reptiles but I always read about them in these threads and if I ever had one, I would choose this: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carpet_Python

I think they are beautiful. Anyone have personal carpet python experience?

Paging Yeti to this thread. I watched one try to murder him once.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

I have carpets, been keeping them for 10 years. This year I am trying my first official pairing of jungle carpets, featuring this girl:

They are not difficult to keep. Babies can be nippy, but it is up to the individual snakes. I keep my adults in 3' x 2' x 18" pvc cages or so depending on size. They get a heat pad on rheostat and sometimes a space heater if ambient temps get too cool. They are pretty good eaters and not difficult to handle once past a nippy phase, unless you get a murder snake, I guess?

Some carpets will refuse rats and prefer mice, but that is more of an annoyance than an actual problem in my opinion. I have two Palmerston locale jungles who are on mice right now and I am not too worried about trying to switch them. Here is one of them:

All in all, they make impressive animals who are easy to care for and don't get overwhelmingly large. I have kept different subspecies, like IJs and one coastal/IJ jaguar morph. I didn't see too much difference in their overall personalities. They all get hungry at night. They all go through an ontogenic color change. The IJs were cool because some times they had a really subtle purple tint to them at night.

The morph stuff is really beginning to get going with carpets, but I am not into that as much as just clean yellow and black jungles.

Here is the IJ/Coastal jaguar I owned:

I sold her when I got pregnant. She was kind of unpredictable and 8' by age 3, so I decided not to hold on to her.

I am not sure I would call carpets a beginner snake, but with enough research a lot of different snakes can be beginner snakes.

If you are serious about them, I recommend The Complete Carpet Python by Julander and Mutton. It is a great book.

HungryMedusa fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Feb 13, 2015

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

HungryMedusa posted:

I have carpets, been keeping them for 10 years. This year I am trying my first official pairing of jungle carpets, featuring this girl:

They are not difficult to keep. Babies can be nippy, but it is up to the individual snakes. I keep my adults in 3' x 2' x 18" pvc cages or so depending on size. They get a heat pad on rheostat and sometimes a space heater if ambient temps get too cool. They are pretty good eaters and not difficult to handle once past a nippy phase, unless you get a murder snake, I guess?

Some carpets will refuse rats and prefer mice, but that is more of an annoyance than an actual problem in my opinion. I have two Palmerston locale jungles who are on mice right now and I am not too worried about trying to switch them. Here is one of them:

All in all, they make impressive animals who are easy to care for and don't get overwhelmingly large. I have kept different subspecies, like IJs and one coastal/IJ jaguar morph. I didn't see too much difference in their overall personalities. They all get hungry at night. They all go through an ontogenic color change. The IJs were cool because some times they had a really subtle purple tint to them at night.

The morph stuff is really beginning to get going with carpets, but I am not into that as much as just clean yellow and black jungles.

Here is the IJ/Coastal jaguar I owned:

I sold her when I got pregnant. She was kind of unpredictable and 8' by age 3, so I decided not to hold on to her.

I am not sure I would call carpets a beginner snake, but with enough research a lot of different snakes can be beginner snakes.

If you are serious about them, I recommend The Complete Carpet Python by Julander and Mutton. It is a great book.What

Carpets are great snakes. Most I've been around have been very chill adults. I wouldnt really consider them a beginner snake either, but they are certainly within the grasp of a well prepared beginner.

Aphelion Necrology
Jul 17, 2005

Yeah, I'm sure that with regular handling they can be tamed down, but every one I've met was a poo poo. They are gorgeous, though.

CompactFanny
Oct 1, 2008

HungryMedusa posted:

Oh my. This is what I'm talkin about. So pretty! :kimchi:
Thanks for the informative post! I'm gonna check out that book in the name of science.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Hood Ornament posted:

Yeah, I'm sure that with regular handling they can be tamed down, but every one I've met was a poo poo. They are gorgeous, though.

The two we did educational poo poo with at the zoo were pretty good. The one on display would literally strike at every single white person who walked past.