Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.
So it’s getting cold and the tree frogs here are getting ready to go dormant. From what I was reading, it’s not exactly hibernation. Also, from what I’ve read, winter can be tough for small frogs.

Several months ago, while I was making tree frogs nervous by staring at them because I don’t remember them living in this area when I was a kid and they are neat, a tiny 1 eyed frog crawled up on a bucket. Not a missing eye. Just that only 1 developed. I figured it was probably not going to make it through the next month since it was not nervous about me like the other frogs and a single eye must make it tough to hunt.

I’m pleased to say I was incorrect. I kind of want to adopt it, since it seems to be smaller than most of the other frogs still hanging around at night. But:
1: It is still alive and doing ok without human interference.
2: in order to give it an appropriate and comfortable habitat, it looks like it will cost around 200 bucks and I’m poor.

It is a grey tree frog, so is pretty hardy, but not, like, handleable ‘cause frog.

Anyway, here is a picture of the eyeless side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Cowslips Warren posted:

Where are you? Any goons by you who can send some supplies?

I mean, even a plastic shoebox with BedaBeast will probably help him over winter.

I can probably scrounge that. I just don’t want to bring him in if I am detrimental to his health. (Might be a her. I don’t actually know, but call it Jack). I’m in Kansas. This is one of the tree frog species native to Kansas, they’ve just apparently increased recently.

my cat is norris posted:

Will being indoor and exposed to controlled temps mess with his dormancy at all?

From what someone else said about bringing in a couple to winter somewhere else online, no.

Edit: what I thought might be a toad but is also a grey tree frog was pokin’ out of its hidey hole in the old porch swing when I went out a little while ago. It changes its color ALL THE TIME. I think it’s pretty healthy.

It has decided I am not very threatening, so sometimes hangs out in the chair next to mine after it takes a dip in the cat water dish.

That picture was taken with my tablet. But even though it’s a lovely picture, it still captures that frog’s,”’sup” expression.

Bored fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Oct 11, 2022

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

“Quote” does not equal “edit” goddamnit

Sorry for the double post.

Bored fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Oct 11, 2022

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

learnincurve posted:

Food is one thing, you are probably going to have to get a box of whatever live food frogs eat if he’s not bruminating.

What kind of snek is Daniel Tiger?

Yeah,there are flightless fruit flies half an hour away and I currently have enough gas to head that way. Last night, Jack headed to the side of the house that frogs don’t seem to return from. We’ll see if he returns, since I’m still very surprised he’s still hanging around.

Thank you for not making look up what frogs do instead of hibernating. Is bruminating based on sunlight or temperature, if you know off the top of your head? If not, I’ll google it.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

learnincurve posted:

Temperature and it’s based on where the frog evolved. Food gets scarce as it gets cold so they shut themselves down till it heats up.

Reptiles can be super odd about that - friend had a imported green tree boa and they don’t eat till the rainy season ends and it got sent out during the wet, so when it got to the UK it convinced itself it was still raining and went on a hunger strike. She ended up taking it outside each day till it got the message.

E: if you are picturing a small northern woman holding a tiny green snake while pointing at the sky while going “LOOK It’s not raining” you would be correct

That last part seems obvious since that is very likely what I would be doing once I figured it out if I was in the same situation…although the northern England accent makes it more charming.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

artsy fartsy posted:

I just wanted to share Baby Frank with y'all because it turns out almost everyone I know hates snakes and it's really bumming me out.

He was shy at first and stayed in his hide boxes but now he's always out and about, whether he's feeling active or just chilling. He eats like a champ and just keeps getting fatter and fatter. My heart melts!

You came to the right place for adoration of your new babby.

Also, Jack is currently in a big Pyrex carafe and I’m going next door to the neighbors garage sale to see if they have anymore sheets of plexiglass like at their last garage sale so I can make a big terrarium for him. I honestly have no clue how he is still alive since he keeps losing sight of prey by trying to watch it with his eyeless side while hunting.

Also, I have learned that the petco near me has flightless fruit flies that are not completely flightless.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

I was looking for the article I found several months ago, when I first saw Jack, about how the cells for sue formation are by the spine and if they do not receive the correct electric prompt to those cells, then eyes do not form. (I am likely miswording that because I always work from pictures in my head).

Anyway, since I am very likely misremembering the wording used in that paper, a different article popped up regarding using the correct biolectric current on ANY tissue on a tadpole causes them to grow eyes wherever they deliver the current

https://phys.org/news/2011-12-bioelectric-tadpoles-eyes-tail.html

So I made this

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Jack was sitting on its island, so I grabbed my camera, but then Jack decided it had lost the fruit fly it had been stalking, because the fly was now right under Jack’s chin. So Jack decided it would work better to get an aerial view. At least this picture has a good view of Jack’s foots.

Does that thumb shape mean it’s a male? Jack seldom changes their color, so I don’t know if I can tell by the tint on its chin. Also, the metal ring is outside the glass.

I’m still working on building a bigger enclosure, but Jack has only tried to escape when I put him in a jar to do a water change and then tried transferring him back. NOW I have a giant syringe to suck out the water for water changes. Jack is fine with that.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

learnincurve posted:

There is a fine tradition in Herpetology of picking the name you’ll like because there is a 50/50 shot of it being right and then just not giving a poo poo when you guessed wrong, or just not bothering to ever find out at all.

Most of the snake people I know are well ‘ard convicted criminals now (I’m now on a list of people who will babysit for 12 months, 6 for good behaviour because the shelters won’t*), and “he’s called Delilah” when being shown a 12 foot retic isn’t even something to blink at.

*I took the envelope containing hatchling and kept it alive.** I now realise that this was a test.

**We bastard/magnatrude is 18 inches long and on small fuzzy

I figure Jack can become Jacque. But also Jack doesn’t give a poo poo what name I give it or if its name is gendered And I’m not planning on learning how to breed them.

Wee bastard and Magnatrude are both fantastic names.

I have figured out that you can put fruit flies in the freezer for 5 minutes to keep them all from boiling out as soon as you open their container. But, while I’m getting better at tipping the container to shake out a smaller amount, it’s probably still too many fruit flies. Anyway, several years ago, a video was posted of, I think, Ellsworth the bearded dragon spotted his favorite food, peas(!), and he is so excited that he can’t figure out where to start eating.

Jack does the same thing whenever the glob of frozen fruit flies hits his water and begins to swim to the popsicle stick pier. When I shook FAR too many in the other night, like a ridiculous amount, he hopped into the water to swim under them and leap out in the middle of the clump to force them to scatter for easier picking off.

I get excited about mundane animal things. I figure this is the place to share laughing at mundane animal things.

Okay, time to go work on a tall terrarium for a better home for Jack.

Edit: content frog

Bored fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Oct 21, 2022

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Snakes have snake friends, babysit each others young, according to 2015 study of rattlesnakes.

https://www.animalcognition.org/2016/01/12/interview-with-snake-behavior-researcher-melissa-amarello/

Now I’m going to go read the article about animals that like doing drugs.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Cowslips Warren posted:

Nah man, king snakes love living in groups!

Makes it easier to gorge on other snakes when they're right next to you.

I swear, breeding king snakes has got to be more stressful than breeding rare cobras.

Lol. Noooooooo

Edit: I just realized that looks weird with facial expressions. I was empathizing with what I imagine is lots of frustration while laughing at your snakes for being stupid assholes who have plenty of non-cannibalistic food.

Edit 2: Jack loving HATES the soil, which seems to match his outdoor brethren. He goes for a swim periodically, then perches on whatever I put in there. Here’s hoping my unemployment appeal is successful so I can buy polycarbonate sheets and weld-on to make a bigger home. (My new job starts next week). The sheets I got for free at a garage sale are super thick, so bending them to the shape I want is proving to be more of a pain than it should be and one of my uv lamps died and I’m paranoid about having any particle of uncured uv on the joints.

With weld on and similar products, I can make several sheets of plexiglass into a solid piece.

I also need to get frog vitamin dust for Jack. He looks fine now that he’s not mad/stressed about the eco soil, but I always get paranoid when he’s resting and he has his little hands in fists. Like, what if they aren’t growing correctly because the only thing small enough for him to eat is fruit flies?

Anyway, current unacceptable set up with tons of wood sticks for fruitflies to climb on to avoid drowning. After I took the picture, he pushed up into “ready” position, so I fed him. He took several fruit flies that I rescued from the water off the dowl I used to rescue them. So at least he does not think everything I do is a trap, like the tree frog that lives in the rusty metal tube on the porch swing does.

Also, I’m wondering if lucky bamboo would please Jack once I can build a better terrarium for him.

https://india.mongabay.com/2018/01/father-bamboo-bush-frogs-are-sole-caregivers-protect-young-from-cannibals/

Bored fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Oct 26, 2022

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

artsy fartsy posted:

I manage a small wastewater plant, which includes a digester (basically a 10,000-gallon concrete pit that I fill up with sludge throughout the year until there's enough to hire someone to haul away) and the other day noticed this very sad sight:

Can you see it??

Here it is zoomed in:

Poor little guy. :cry:

The good news is I was able to just reach him with a long rake thing (10-12 feet long), and while he tried to bite it at first he eventually wrapped the end of his tail around one of the tines and I was able to lift him out, give him a shower and put him somewhere away from all the poo.

I’m fairly certain that snake appreciates the help. It just may have taken until the shower for it to realize you were trying to make its day less bad.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I got my beardie in her new terrarium but she seems really restless, I don't know why. It's bigger, a 2x2x4 instead of the 18x24x36 that she had before. Is there anything that they tend to like to play with? I've got a couple things for her to climb on, a water bowl that she mostly splashes on rather than drinking from, and a plastic t-rex skull I guess she could also climb on.

I think she is waiting for you to give her an offering of appeasement to the t-rex skull. She is worried that the spirit of the ancestors will curse her new home.

yeah, I think they are more closely related to birds, but everyone thought they were giant lizards when I was a kid

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

My daughter is in Scouts and is trying to get a reptile and amphibian merit badge. One of the requirements is that she takes care of a reptile or amphibian for a month or she works with an entity (zoo, rescue, etc) that monitors the animal while she observes it throughout 3 months. She would communicate with the caretaker and learn about the animal itself and what it takes to take care of that reptile or amphibian. However, we live in the middle of nowhere with no places like that around. Also, we do not know anyone who has reptiles or amphibians.

Would anyone here know of a livestream of a personal reptile or amphibian habitat? I found one for a leopard gecko but the caretaker communicates in a foreign language so I do not know if communication will work out.

There’s snake discovery who has Rex, the previously unfortunate alligator:

https://youtu.be/3ZWFHcSkmnw

Their livestream appears to currently be focused on a boa, but they have 5 cameras, so there might be more live Rex. If you don’t watch the above video, they have never approved of alligators as pets and still don’t.

https://youtube.com/@SnakeDiscovery

Live Stream
https://www.twitch.tv/snakediscovery

I’m sure the real herpetologists in the thread will let me know if snake discovery is actually bad.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

CommunityEdition posted:

Finally caught up!

So, I’ve got a small backyard pond, came when I bought the house, didn’t care much about it until the frogs showed up and then that was that. Then frogs did what frogs do and our pond was teeming with tadpoles, so we put in a lotus and a couple water lilies for shade/sitting. So far, so good.

Of course I’ve got all these worries about predation, algae blooms, accidental contamination, this that and the other. What I didn’t expect was losing six tadpoles and a froglet to “trying to eat frogspawn that was too sticky.” So now I’ve buckets of frogspawn that I’ll need to keep any of these idiots from getting into until whatever survived the transfer hatches.

Also: should I be concerned that I’ve never seen the green frogs and gray tree frogs eat a single one of the many, many water striders and flying insects out and about in the couple months we’ve had this house? If they were living entirely off of their own children then surely we would have noticed by now?

Grey tree frogs eat at night. If you don’t have any lights on overnight that flies and moths love, you might try getting some. There were regularly multiple frogs sitting on my mom’s porch light at night, just going for the easy meal.

Also, the rule for feeding frogs: is that the insects are no longer than the space between the frog’s eyes, so maybe your frogs aren’t big enough yet? (Rules are different for, like, feeding frogs the super fatty caterpillars pet stores sell as treats for herps)

Frogs and fish often don’t eat what you’d think they should be eating. I was always annoyed that they wouldn’t eat the mosquito larvae around the edges of our koi pond when I was a kid. Those water striders might be something they don’t want to eat.

Edit: it looks like frogs sometimes eat water striders, but don’t really like them much. Also, waterstriders eat tadpoles.

Bored fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Aug 11, 2023

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Artsygrrl posted:

Brilliant color on that one! Gothmog is a fine name.

Vicky has been enjoying a nice holiday season.

Is she still guarding her pee water while you’re trying to keep her home clean?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Tenchrono posted:

I bought a weird juvenile potato the other day:

“Are you checking out my sweater? Yeah, it’s pretty great.”