Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Silver Nitrate posted:

Hey I'm at Tinley. Lemme know if you want to meet up. Or just say hi. I'm 7'11" wearing flannel and have rainbow colored hair. Not the hardest to spot. ;)

ftfy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Guava posted:

Man I need to get some good recent photos of my snakes.

Also, I stopped by my favorite pet store yesterday (I know what you're thinking, but this is a very good local pet store that usually uses very good reputable breeders - I've been going there since I was a little girl, and I got my first king there a few years ago). I just wanted to see what new snakes they had, as usual, but ALL of the snake tanks were gone. Turns out they've had an outbreak of IBD and all their pythons/possibly all their snakes got it. I'm really floored; my family and I have gotten tons of reptiles from them over a period of 15+ years, and the owner is a very well-known and respected reptile man in this area. So the moral of the story is either "you can never ever trust any pet store, no matter what," or "happens to the best of us." Thoughts?

Don't worry, I wasn't planning on getting another snake from them. I only go through breeders these days anyway. Still, it was a bit of a shock.

poo poo happens is the moral. It doesn't matter how careful you are.

PezMaster posted:

Nacho Cheese says Happy Canadian Thanksgiving! :canada:

(pie is made out of Pangea, pumpkin, papaya, calcium plus, and a bit of non-fat/non-gelatin/non-flavoured/no sugar yogurt)

I'm torn between going "this is really stupid" and "you literally made your gecko a pie so he could be included instead of just going and getting him an extra cricket?" because man that's efforts. So like, well done on effort but :pwn:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I'm retarded for corns and always will be and while the world screams "baby basic bitch snake" I won't care and will point at the ridiculous rainbow of easy feeding labrador-level snakes I have.

E: The hypo lavender I have doesn't count. She ate furred mice for me last night :colbert: You know. After three solid years of being a pain in the dick about it. And it still took a half hour.

Fluffy Bunnies fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Oct 25, 2015

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Ugh I got to play with a cape gopher recently and I'm basically hiding my credit card from myself because No.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Like I read the rest of that and I care but mostly I went "don't feed your snake from your hand" so, don't feed your snake from your hand. Legally whoever paid for the snake owns it.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

dog days are over posted:

Well. I started with one royal python and not too much later now I have two royals, a crested gecko and two leopard geckos.. and I'm starting to really want a hognose. Why are these unaffectionate small dinosaurs and grump-ropes so addictive?

Hognoses aren't total assholes right? I've seen them puff and hood and fake strike, but that doesn't mean they're completely unable to be handled, does it? I can't get over how perpetually pissed off they look, they're ridiculously cute.

Everyone else says they're okay, but I've never met one that didn't act like a total shithead.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Soonmot posted:

Uh... I had some ask if we sold baby mice for his beardie. Then, when I said all we had were frozen pinkies/fuzzies/ hoppers, he asked how big our mice were.

I thought beardies only ate bugs?

Then someone called and asked if we bought cats. Wtf.

It's fine to give beardies a pinkie every now and again. The Really big beardies are fine to have a peach fuzzy, even. You just don't want to give them on the regular.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Knormal posted:

Have you tried waxworms? I have an insectivorous snake (western shovel-nosed) that eats those like crazy.

Thawing a cube of blood worms and making them wiggle maybe, even, to try to get it started?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

Also don't get animals for a school that will live for decades (30+ years for ball pythons is what google is telling me). They are likely to outlive your stint as the person in charge of them, which means you are gambling on whoever will inherit them when you've moved on.

I'd highly recommend firebellied toads (which, now I say that, can live for at least 10+ years, but:) they're quite hardy, easy to take care of, don't take up a huge amount of space, are active during the day, and - let's face it, this is a thing that happens in elementary schools - do not represent a large lost investment when the kids inadvertently kill them.

You are also probably less likely to have to deal with "concerned parents" compared to keeping a large snake in a classroom. Especially if there are escapes.

Or you just sell them on fauna like 95% of the rest of the world, or whatever is popular. cragislist. whatever.

I'd say colubrid of some nature too for the record.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

That's been an issue for a long time and you can see people bitching about snake morphs with health issues back in the early days of the BOI on fauna.

I guess I can understand the hate if it fucks up the snake so it can't exist.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Cowslips Warren posted:

So when I had to put two sand boas together for a few days in April or so, due to some housing issues otherwise, I didn't worry because they were both females. They weren't together long. Easy enough, and no fighting or any issues.

So I was told.

One female dropped me 10 babies a few days ago. The other 'female' is looking decidedly snarky.

At least there's only 10 babies. All anery like both parents. Whoops.

So how many are you mailing me cowslips

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

So, I think my 15+ year old corn is finally on her way out. She's been having some balance issues and the vet really can't find anything wrong. Of course, the vet basically goes "wow, a kingsnake!" so... yeah.

I'm focusing on making Harley happy and well-fed while she occasionally needs a little help slithering around upright. She's been doing better as of late, but there are still bad days. Anything y'all can think of on a soft derp bucket list?