Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Hood Ornament posted:

This thread is worse than a hidden regurge on a hot day.

Also to add more - I was into critters and stuff at 5 but my parents didn't let me have my own pets. We did have a family fish tank and stuff that they let me "help" with, so maybe go that route and just let the kid get more active with taking care of your current pets?

I got a ball python when I was around 10, we kept it in a vertical tank with sand as substrate and one plant in it, guess how long it survived that until it dried out. (It was the early 90s and I was a clueless idiot.). That tank was used for leopard geckos by my uncle and we pretty much just put that poor snake in there.

Does anyone here currently own an uromastyx ornata and could tell me some basics about how much time they spend with it and the actual experience that comes with having one? I've finished going trough the book (there's a pretty good German book about their care, was linked in the old thread) but I would like some first hand opinions about them before getting one (this is an attempt to get more pretty pics posted, that's why I lurk in this thread!).
If I am getting one, would it be a mistake to get a full size tank right away for a juvie? A friend would help me build a wooden (better insulation) terrarium with sliding glass doors at the front, thinking 2.2m to 2.6m (6-8ft) long 50-80cm (2ish ft) deep and high.

I did find a reputable breeder across the border who knows how to handle the custom forms, so I could get one from a good source and legally import it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I remember someone posting that her crestie will tap the window until she takes it out for a bit and is calm again when returned.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Suarez!
Also he is very pretty, so just accept a few bites.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Figured I'd try to contribute some pictures since I was at the local zoo recently and they have this huge hall (11'000m2) with a tropical rainforest trying to imitate the Masoala rainforest on Madagascar. It is pretty amazing and there are a lot of things to see and discover, every visit is different too, this was the first time I've found one of the chameleons for example. This project is going so awesome, they don't actually have population counts for some of the smaller animals anymore.

So while walking along the path we found this guy (Panther Chameleon)

He was sitting still like that ignoring people walking past about 1 meter next to him, there was a second one in the same bush as well. Not sure why they choose to hang out next to the path when they could go hide deep in the forest, guess they figured they're safe/unseen.

And these (Madagascar day gecko) were all over the place, they just don't care about all the humans walking by.

Not sure if these geckos would be a good pet but they sure are super cute and it's very tempting, by the looks of it they don't mind companions either.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
A colleague at work used to work for the bio department at the local uni, she was in the team that took care of a lot of animals. The easiest death would be breaking the neck, this is the quickest, most painless death for most animals. In science this is apparently done when you don't want any 3rd party substances in the animal that could mess with your test results. As for mass killing, CO2 is apparently the most humane way to do that.
The only issue with CO2 systems is that some animals realize what's about to happen and panic when they see the devices.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Local/EU laws actually forbids live feeding in most of western Europe. This is probably a good thing, some edge cases of difficult feeders excluded.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
It tries to counter a real problem tough. The problem is that some of those invasive species require the same parameters as local ones but are much stronger. You see that with plants too, orchids are invasive in NA while we got your lovely golden rods everywhere here, destroying the habitats of local wildlife. If a weaker species flees it's habitat it can push other species out of it's new one.
We see this very well here, wall lizards are slowly taking over territory from the much weaker sand lizards. Wall lizards are less picky when it comes to where they live, to the extent where the rail tracks around Zurich mainstation are home to one of the largest populations. Was always fun watching them when I did civil service and had to mow the railway embankment and keep stone piles free from plants (gently caress brambles).

But yeah I think fighting invasive species is pointless, you wont ever manage to get rid of them. It's time to accept that the shift in climate will lead to these changes and there's little we can do.

Sand lizards are very cute and there are some breeders now so there's even a legal way to obtain them. Never seen any posted here tough.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Thank you for posting this. I am not in a situation where I have room for a herp (want an uromastyx ornata kinda) so I love it when people post pics of their setups/animals.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Would be fun if those geckos can store sperm and fertilize eggs at a later date. I am sure someone who's not just in the thread for pics can answer you that. (I kinda want an uromastyx ornata but lack the space)

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
That's kinda the nice thing where I live, it's in the middle of a city but we got so many lizards (Lacerta agilis) and they are really pretty. Somehow the train tracks around the main station are one of the biggest biospheres in the country for them.
Always loved that part when I did my civil service, having lunch and seeing the lizards come chill next to you and not give a gently caress.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
It does feel like a losing battle, I spent most of my civil service time (Conscription -> conscience -> civil service) in an organization dedicated to maintaining nature reservations, from small commune level to bigger federal ones. We tried to get rid of or at least limit the spread of invasive species in those areas, but most of those imported species are just way stronger than the local ones.
It always made me wonder if anyone has a long term plan for this and it always felt like the damage is already done and you can only slow it down. If anything fighting plants like goldenrods or Impatiens glandulifera makes you feel depressed and helpless. You can clear an area every summer but when you return they are back/still there. You clear a pond of goldfish, next year there's new ones and even less local frogs than in the past year.

Global warming makes this even worse, where some species that couldn't survive Swiss winter now do, so they can expand into even more territories and endanger the local biospheres. Finding corn snakes instead of native members of Natrix is not really funny, as pretty as they are.

Tl;dr: by feeding invasive species you undo a lot of work and make the fight even harder for them, they have every right to get angry. Instead you could learn how you could improve the conditions for local species in your backyard.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Those look really nice, I didn't even know there were smaller species of carpet pythons. Might be an option if I can find some locally.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I remember one year my aunt and uncle couldn't find their torts anymore in autumn when they wanted to take them inside. They where thinking a fox or some other predator got to them. Turns out they dug down to hibernate for the winter, come spring and they were back. They survived a Swiss winter at 800m above sea level.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Ok Comboomer posted:

Update: I have a scorpion now. Came with a free Kritter Keeper which is too small but a useful thing to have. Maybe I’ll keep crickets in it (ugh. People seem to have lots of success with wigglies). Initial enclosure setup isn’t too hard. I’ll post pics if ppl want them.

As a lurker in this thread, who is not in a position to get a herp right now (uromastyx ornata is on my wishlist), please post pics! Everyone post pics!

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Viperidae posted:

Here are a few of my boy Montgomery. He is an Ackie monitor.

He is a bit chunky and is currently on a diet.

Thank you, made my day, he's such a cutie.

Edit: Not sure if it's ok to post pics of other people's herps, but I found these two too nice to not share. Since I don't have my own herps the ones at the zoo have to do for me. Luckily Zurich Zoo has a nice selection of them and I lucked out with these pics on my last pre-lockdown visit in March.

Uroplatus fimbriantus (some cutie from Madagascar, the Zoo has a huge cooperation with them and even built a huge rainforest hall):

Tahirovic fucked around with this message at 10:24 on May 13, 2020

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Went hiking at the Walensee (Switzerland) yesterday and almost stepped on this cutie

We think we can ID it as Zamenis longissimus. Looks like it just ate something and that's why it was to lazy to move further from the trail. There's plenty of lizards in that area, guess that's how it got so fat.

Here in it's full length

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I used to have a ball python as a teen and owned a g. rosea for a couple years so I don't really have much experience with herps.
How difficult would it be to keep a sand boa with that background? I am interested in getting a snake and my gf really likes them, so she would be cool with having it in our apartment.

She also liked the pics of ball python morphs I showed her, but I am hestitant on those due to price and health issues. Not to mention mine was a picky eater and I am kinda done with that, especially with our new laws that prophibit live mice.

Sand boa's seem like a good option here, the care sheets seem simple enough and there are plenty of breeders in Switzerland/Germany.
How bad of an idea are they for a newbie?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
If you are interested I can try find the details of the breeder in Germany who sold my friend his cb uromastyx ornata. Judging how successful he breeds them, I would say he knows his stuff too.
He knows how to handle all the paperwork for cross border trading of protected species (He did Germany -> Switzerland) for my friend.

Not sure how picking one up would work for you tough, since the UK is a bit further.