Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I don't keep snakes, but I just wanted to share this absolutely magnificent pic I took of some kind of rat snake I took many years ago.

Background: This is Tulsa, Oklahoma, in a very urban area, and I am 95% sure this was someone's pet, that had escaped. You simply do not see snakes like this in this area. The most you see is small garter snakes here, and them, very rarely.

One day, in about 2008, my brother came inside telling me "HEY! There is a BIG snake outside!"

So I went outside to see, never got very close, and this chonker was on the ground. I had a really good camera with a zoom lens at the time, I went inside to get it, and when I came back out, as I walked up the hill that was the backyard, he slithered through a chain-link fence and then very athletically climbed up into a tree. I took this pic, and I love it. It's as though he posed for it.

MrMojok fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Mar 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

According to the folks on r/whatsthissnake, it is the “Western ratsnake, Pantherophis obsoletus. Completely harmless rodent devourer.”

Do a google image search on them. They have an amazing variety of different colorations that vary from region to region.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

my cat is norris posted:

And oklahoma has tons of snakes beyond just garters -- I'm sorry you haven't run into any. Western hoggies are so good and cute. :kimchi:

Oh yeah, definitely. I’ve run into many out in the woods and near lakes. I was just so shocked by this because in this particular area, suburban south Tulsa, you never see anything but small garters. And this guy was close to 4’ long. I felt like he was an escaped pet.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

learnincurve posted:

It’s not a western rat snake. It’s shape is wrong the colours are wrong, its eyes are too big and it’s scales look filed, plus it’s rear fanged, you can tell by the cheekbones giving it it’s smug. Source: have rear fanged sneks and western rat sneks.

This is Reddit going “yep that’s a colubrid alright”

This was absolutely a rat snake.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

We have a few Western Fence Lizards that live in our backyard. I don’t know where these guys go during the winter, but they disappeared.

Now that we’re getting warm weather again, they are back out. They are awesome and very fun to watch.

Earlier today I saw something I’ve never seen before… two of them, fighting. When I first noticed them, each one had the other’s tail in his mouth. Sitting there forming a circle, a two-lizard ouroboros.

They were motionless for a while, and then suddenly started scrambling around, biting and kicking at each other. Then one decided he’d had enough and tried to run off, but was held back because the other one had the end of his tail in his mouth.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Is this in Australia?

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I’d say it’s a friendly neighborhood scrub python then!

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Ahh, yes. I’m sure you’re right. The patterns and coloration look more like that species than a Scrub.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Very pretty Prairie Kingsnake I ran into on my neighborhood walk the other day