Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Picked up my first herp, a young royal python.
Bought it from a friend who bred him, currently eats rat pups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

How much did you pay for it?

£60

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Duckbill posted:

My corn will climb inside clothes and go up sleeves, but that's just because it's winter and body heat is lovely. I'm not sure he actually understands that I'm an animal.

I've only had my royal python just over a week but that's how he seems to treat me. He'll wrap around my arm or hand and laze about or slither off and explore the desk.

It's amazing how much grip he has when he decides to go somewhere he isn't allowed and I have to pull him back.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Knew Pliskin was due to poo but thought it would be fine to let him slither about on me whilst watching GoT after a shower.

Just had to have a second shower.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Can snakes get constipated?
I fed mine the usual rat pup on Monday but he doesn't seem to have poo'd yet.
His behaviour is normal and it is possible I cleaned it away whilst changing his tub without noticing but I want to make sure it isn't an issue.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Apologies for the rubbish photo but my phone refused to focus on him.

Is this normal behaviour for a royal python?
I'm still only in my second month of ownership so it might be normal but I wanted to check, he only started doing it last night.

The only other thing he's doing different it tasting the air for longer periods like he normally does during feeding.
Could he be hungry and should I break the usual pattern and feed him early?

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Hood Ornament posted:

He's periscoping. Totally normal.

Okay thanks. Glad it isn't anything bad because it is so cute :3:

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Just recieved my first snake bite and I've no idea why.
I just opened his tub because he was about to push some kitchen roll into his water bowl so I was trying to stop it from happening when he chomped my hand.
He was fed on Monday and he was quite happy being handled a couple of hours ago.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Drinking problem?

What drinking problem?

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Fraction posted:

Ha, so I ordered a scale and... only her body fits on, not her tail. :v: I managed to convince her to stay still long enough to weigh her, and she's 0.81. Is that about normal? She'll be uhhhhh about four-five months I guess by now.

Dunno why you ordered a scale, she seems to have plenty already :downsrim:

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Can snakes see what's on TVs?

I assumed they couldn't because it wouldn't be showing up in IR but I just watched Jurrasic Park with mine and he was staring at it pretty intently.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Woah I had no idea my royal python was poi venomous.

This must be Poe's law in action right?

Out of curiosity what is the snake at the top?

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Just got bitten by my royal python for the second time and this time it wasn't because I surprised him.

I opened up his tub and he seemed normal if a little twitchy. When I put my hand in he bit it before rising up and tracking me about in the same way he tracks his food as I bring it in on the tongues.

I hope this isn't a sign that there is something up with him.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Your snake is fine.

Okay good to know.
I worry too much.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Good to know thanks :)

Planning on picking up a new viv today as what he has is a small tub.
Should give him a few more places to hide in

edit: Picked it up

:3

freelop fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Aug 21, 2015

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Binary Logic posted:

You should give him another hide (1 on warm side, 1 on cool side) and more coverage.

The skull is on the cold side and the cave is on the warm side. There are also a few more cardboard tubes dispersed about.
What would be good for coverage?

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Went into poundland but they had no artificial foliage.
Picked up a whole bunch of small plastic plant pots that I've cut a hole in and turned upside down to make a bunch more small hidey holes though.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

*plop*

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Snek is clearly dead please move on

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Got a friend with a baby hognose and she's worried about it not eating

I'd guess that like other snakes they can go through periods of not eating just fine but she'd appreciate someone from here more knowledgable putting her mind to rest.

On the plus side Pliskin hasn't had any issues feeding since getting him, He's on fluffs now without any issues.
Recently shedded and is being a pain for getting that last bit of skin off him so I'll bathe him today.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Guava posted:

How long has it gone without eating? Does it usually take mice really well? Some hognose are fussy about mice because they eat mostly frogs and toads in the wild, but there are ways around it. The one I have right now is the best eater of any snake I've ever seen though. I don't think she's literally ever refused a feed since I got her a year and a half ago.

On the other hand, my king was a CRAZY fussy eater when he was young, mostly because he was a super nervous guy and he would get too wigged out by me opening the cage (tried feeding him in a separate container but that freaked him out even more). Since it's a baby it could be that too. If that's the case, it'll outgrow that! Now that he's bigger Cocoa only ever refuses a feed if he's getting close to shedding or deciding to hibernating.

Thanks for the reply, it has eaten this past weekend. She thinks it was a little intimidated by the size of the pinkies it was getting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

I've been a herp owner for a year now

Here was Pliskin when I first picked him up

Here is a blurry picture as of a few moments ago.

He's really blown up in size lately, had to buy some larger hides last week as he was starting to poke out of his old ones