Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrConfusedTurkey
Dec 14, 2013

wtftastic posted:

Do I have to make my own mice or can I let someone else do this?

One time, I had someone ask me at work if our F/T mice are dead or just sleeping (and she was dead serious, because she felt really dumb after asking).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrConfusedTurkey
Dec 14, 2013

Bobbaganoosh posted:

I've had variations of that question: "So, do they wake up when they thaw?"

Usually I offer that freezing is terminal, and then give the asker an out, or a conversational redirect, as usually the light bulb usually goes on, as folks realize the folly of the question as soon as I start responding.

But then I contemplate the potential for Swanson's Cryogenic Mouse Dinners for herps. I'll get to that once I perfect the hognose defibrillator. ;)

I tried my best to not make her feel stupid, she owns leopard geckos, and has never had snakes, so I could understand the curiosity. Nonetheless, it's a bit amusing, although cryogenics also popped up in my head.

MrConfusedTurkey
Dec 14, 2013

Silver Nitrate posted:

I have to do some cleaning today, are there any animals I have that ya'll want to see? I have one of everything. (No pythons)

I would like to see some kings. I love me some kings.

MrConfusedTurkey
Dec 14, 2013

Silver Nitrate posted:

Sorry to hear about your hoggie :(

WHY DID YOU HAVE TO PICK KINGSNAKES?!?! They pooed on me :(

images
man, your kings are so nice, I especially like that Florida Hypo, ahhh. Good luck with that anaconda, that's a serious feeding bill, I commend you!

MrConfusedTurkey
Dec 14, 2013

Silver Nitrate posted:

Lol yeah he's gonna be fun. Have I shared the story of why on earth I have an anaconda?

There was this post in the local reptile group like, "I just got this snake and it needs to go to a new home or my mom is going to kick me out." And since it's a cool snake I figured I would grab it and try to find it a good home since I didn't want it to go to another idiot 15 year old kid. But lil dude is pretty chill and I like him. He's a male so he'll only get like 7-11feet, which I can deal with but I'm not sure that I'm going to keep him yet. I mean, that's still a really big snake.

Agreed, especially since you do have quite a handful of animals already, although your variety of snakes doesn't seem like too much work. I'd imagine your concern is more space and monetary, rather than time and effort. You should definitely post pictures of him, too, I bet he's gorgeous. I am definitely glad he fell into proper hands!

MrConfusedTurkey
Dec 14, 2013

On the subject of deciding not to eat, I recently read an article in Reptiles Magazine about rubber boas. The author states that he had a baby boa born in the Spring that went through its first brumation before feeding for the first time the following year. He also had a female go two years without food by brumating her, keeping meticulous watch of her weight, and keeping her temps low to reduce metabolism. I found that pretty incredible!

MrConfusedTurkey
Dec 14, 2013

Bobbaganoosh posted:

Rubber boas are fascinating captives. A lot of folks who otherwise wouldn't touch a snake seem drawn to these gummy worms. They are little charmers the way they characteristically wrap around your finger or wrist.

The love the humidity and cool temps. I tried cooling mine last year, but my cool room didn't get cool enough (location: S. AZ), so brumation never really occurred to their instincts. Temps only occasionally dipped into the upper 50s. This would be sufficient for most species, but rubber boas are still active into the upper 50s. I've a cooler brumation room this year, so fingers crossed. If that fails to stay cool long enough I'll go with a fridge for brumation next year, which I expect is necessary. Prolonged periods of temps 55F and lower just don't naturally occur in S. AZ. And these require at least 3 months of it.

I can see how they could go a long while without food. My males have gone off-feed for a month or two at a time, but the females eat like clockwork, only skipping when in shed.

It's funny you mention their tolerance for cold, in the article the author also has a photo of a rubber boa out in the snow, which is the second time they have seen one in the snow. I am very interested in these guys, but I would also have difficulty with brumating, considering I am in NW AZ. I feel the pain. Do you have pictures?

MrConfusedTurkey
Dec 14, 2013

Ahhh they're so cute! I love their little eyes and their snoots. I want so many noodles, but I think one or two of these guys just made my must-have list. The article, and now these pictures has really made me like them so much, especially knowing they have such a docile temperament. Thank you for sharing these pictures :allears:

MrConfusedTurkey
Dec 14, 2013

Silver Nitrate posted:

I wen't herping today, but I decided that it was too drat cold for anything. I did however find snake heaven and I will be going back soon. I present SNAKE HEAVEN along the Mississippi River.

I haven't gone herping in a while, but last night I was driving home from work and almost hit a Sonoran Desert Toad (it was very dark, so fortunately he was a big guy). They're one of my favorite herps to find, they're such fat little things.

MrConfusedTurkey
Dec 14, 2013

happyflurple posted:

Spent a while reading this thread as in the past two years I've gone from never even seeing a snake up close to owning three of the drat things courtesy of my partner. She brought a 19 year old Cali Kingsnake with her when she moved in, which is hands down the sweetest creature I've ever known, and then she got a loving horrible little garter snake, and I finally decided the other week that I wanted one of my own so I'm getting to know this little amelanistic corn snake who is fairly friendly and ate for the first time last night.

I also got me a baby bearded dragon recently who is the reason I'm here kinda, he's fairly chill, will run back to his viv most times if we have him out during the day but at night he'll fall asleep on you and all that adorable poo poo and oh god I love him. Just wondering if feeding them locusts is ok, we have load of them on hand cos we have pacman frogs and an incredibly evil agama. He seems happy with them but every site I read says to feed them crickets. Didn't wanna keep crickets if we don't have to cos of the smell, but I can deal. Otherwise he goes mad for any kind of veg or fruit we give him which is a relief cos I've heard they can be funny about it. Little guy stalks the veg like he would bugs, it's adorable

As long as the length of the locusts is less or equal to the length of the space between the dragon's eyes, I would say it's far better than crickets. You won't have to feed as many, and they're much better nutritionally. As far as I am aware, there's not a risk of impaction from eating too many of them, either. I would try your best to put in a variety of food anyway, though. A lot of beardies that eat too many locusts tend to become fussy eaters, especially towards crickets.

MrConfusedTurkey
Dec 14, 2013

Cowslips Warren posted:

Russians are good. Make sure it's captive bred. Nix any attempts at redfoots, yellowfoots, leopards, and gently caress's sake never ever a sulcata/spur thigh.

I've always been interested in reds, why such a strong no to them?

MrConfusedTurkey
Dec 14, 2013

Cowslips Warren posted:

They get big. Not as big as a sulcata, but our male was over 13 inches when we sold him. They need high humidity and aren't good beginner torts like the OP was looking for.

Oh, that makes sense. Thanks!

Also, does anyone have any advice for shipping younger (and small) snakes from Washington to Arizona? My fiance is moving here, but we are stuck until we can figure out how we will get his ball python and cornsnake here. They're both around a year old, it's very cold in WA, but in AZ it's still around 50-60F during the day, with lower drops at night, even though I don't live terribly far from Phoenix, so I think shipping might be out of the question. Any advice would be helpful, and if shipping is a must, if you could find a helpful guide on how to properly ship during cold weather, it would be much appreciated. I've looked, but I have never done reptile shipping, so I don't know what is good or bad information, and if anything happened to them, it would be just downright heartbreaking.

MrConfusedTurkey
Dec 14, 2013

Cowslips Warren posted:

Hah, i actually live in Phoenix. Some nights it's 30*.

I know there are restrictions on shipping reptiles (you will need a heat pack at least) depending on the carriers but I've never done it myself. The best I can offer is, no matter what carrier you use, to get a Hold At Location. IE if you ship it Fedex, have them hold it at the hub or a close-by Fedex store.

Thank you, I was looking at some shipping sites though, and there are warning messages about right now being a no-ship time due to delays and temperatures. Neither of his snakes have eaten in over a week, and I read on a few forums people keeping them in their cars with the heat on and making the drive here, and keeping them in pillow cases within boxes and bringing them into their hotel rooms at night. They are both very healthy, and the estimated time of travel would be around two days with adequate time for sleeping and eating breaks. It would be stressful for them, but are there any risks of serious issues, as long as they stay at a reasonably warmer temp (75F+)? A very small moving truck seems to be our most affordable option at this point, and also the least stressful knowing the reptiles can be watched, maybe even set up in their tanks in the hotels overnight?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrConfusedTurkey
Dec 14, 2013

Zandorv posted:

Update: my friend may still be interested in a tortoise, but she's also recently heard about two red-eared sliders that her roommate's mother is trying to get rid of. She says they're not in good living conditions right now and she wouldn't mind feeding them meat since they need it to survive. (Although she doesn't want to voluntarily seek out a pet that has non-vegan dietary requirements, she doesn't mind taking in animals that need to eat meat if they're in need of a home). However, lots of you have specifically mentioned red-eared sliders as bad pets. Are they hard to care for? Would they be better off if she released them into the wild (they are native to our area, in Alabama)? Can you even do that with a domestic-bred turtle, will it know how to care for itself?

It's entirely possible that something will happen and we'll never hear about these turtles again or her roommate's mom will find someone else to take them, but if that doesn't happen, should she take them in? If not, what should be done about them?

Edit: the friend would not get both a tortoise and the turtles. It would be one or the other. I realized that was very unclear in this post.

Red-eared sliders are just a bad idea, especially as indoor pets. Not even full grown, those two will require a BARE MINIMUM, of about a 150gal tank, with a filter that is capable of cycling THREE TIMES as many gallons of water. They're very prone to infection from dirty water, and just because you have the filtration necessary, doesn't mean there won't be a lot of large water changes, weekly gravel-vacuuming and you will need to deal with the algae yourself, because they will eat any algae-eaters you toss in there. Feeding them can be rather expensive to make sure they are getting the variety they need, plus you need to make sure they both are capable of using a basking/uvb spot simultaneously, which is hard to do in even a 150gal, since turtle docks aren't really that big. tl;dr, they are very filthy, and rather drat expensive, while also requiring way too much indoor space. As for releasing, I believe that's illegal in a lot of places, not sure about Alabama, but you said they aren't well cared for, and if they have disease, that could be downright awful to do to a wild population if it is spreadable. It's much better to just find a rescue, although finding one with available space for a red-eared, will likely be difficult.

If you do decide you want to seriously undergo this task, quite contrary to the stigma that they just GOTTA HAVE LIVE FOOD, they don't. There are a lot of frozen-thaw options, along with the pellet diets, and frozen cube snacks, as well as some freeze-dried treats. They also actually like a lot of greens, too since they're omnivorous. Feeding live fish is not a great idea, since you're most likely just going to be giving your animal sick, dying creatures that also probably have a lot of internal parasites that could be passed on. There are a lot of guides online you can look at, but if a guide tells you you can house a full-grown turtle in something like a 40-55g, get away from it, as these guys need at least ten gallons of water, for every inch of turtle you have. ie, if you both of those turtles are around 5 inches, 100 gallons is your MINIMUM (although, going bigger will always be better). Keep in mind that a red-eared slider can reach a length of around 12 inches. For two, that is a huge tank, and a ridiculous filter. Your friend needs to know, that if she has any doubts that she can handle this, they're highly likely going to be completely unenjoyable burdens, but if she does decide to seriously tackle this, then I really wish her the best!