Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Cowslips Warren posted:

There's a lady I know in our cat rescue group who maintains feeding raw meat is the best diet for cats and dogs.

Somehow she didn't think it was funny when I said all my snake get raw meat. Mice is meat!

As long as they get bone in their meat, otherwise they can get metabolic bone disease just like lizards that eat undusted crickets.

e. I am not saying anything about whether it is "the best diet"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Thinking its time to upgrade my 8 year old male leopard gecko enclosure. Currently it is a 10 ga aquarium, with under substrate heating pad, repti carpet on top of paper towels, warm and cold hides (the cold probably needs to be larger now although he can fully crawl into it still), humid hide on warm side, full spectrum (non UV) daytime heat light on approx 10-12 hour timer. I just measured the basking area below the heat lamp at around 87. I am thinking of a 15-20 ga long tank, new light with higher wattage (to 50 from 25w), and already got a hammock to increase what can be done in the space. Should I be rethinking the under substrate heating pad and substrate itself? There are such a mix of opinions for what should be done.

I do want a larger water dish that he can also fully crawl into but have not found one yet.

Appreciate your thoughts!

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The FAQ on r/leopardgecokos suggests that, enclosure size and debate over the use of reptile carpet aside (I rotate between two pieces to ensure full cleanings), I am doing well already. It did recommend to use a thermostat to keep the warm side floor at 90--I have not used a thermostat so I put a digital thermometer on it and found it, if it read correctly (and it was also taking heat from the lamp as well) well over that, shockingly. So I put extra layers of paper towel down over the heat pad and now have it closer to 90.

Do any of you use a heat pad/thermostat combination? How does that get set up?

e. I've already installed the hammock and he's found it and explored it thoroughly already. He seemed pretty interested in the new thing and remained pretty active all evening.

Bilirubin fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jun 6, 2021

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

HungryMedusa posted:

That is cool! Are tegus chill?

as long as you keep what they want on the bottom shelves
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGTSbMyC7Cs

Its time to upgrade my leopard gecko's home to a 20 ga enclosure. In his previous, smaller, home I used repti carpet (two pieces I would clean and rotate) with a paper towel liner below. Heat pad and daylight heat light light on timer. In reviewing current thinking many folks shy away from the carpet now, so what do you suggest I use for substrate? Also I'm seeing builds with a thermostat attached to the heat pad--where does the sensor get placed?

This is a completely new build although I will keep a few of the dishes and hides. I welcome your thoughts!

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Ok Comboomer posted:

personally, I would go with paper towel/butcher paper/contractor’s paper/etc and just forego any other substrate. The latter can look very nice and practically indistinguishable from repti carpet if cut to size, and you can pre-cut a whole pile of it and have it ready to go for easy cage cleaning.

If you don’t like how that looks, you could also try some slate/tile/flat stones. Lots of leop keepers really like tiles and they’re hella easy to rinse off.

WRT the heat pad, I would really only use it to maintain a hot hide temp that way, and nothing else. I wouldn’t try to heat the whole enclosure.

Leops hail from the Pakistani/Nepali/etc desert, so letting their enclosure get down to room temperature at night is hardly a problem for them. It gets much colder in their wild habitat. Plus with desert reptiles, too much heat and humidity where it’s not wanted can lead to all sorts of respiratory and fungal problems.

Obviously you’ll want to provide hot/cool + dry/moist hides, ideally one of each.

Thanks! I love the look of the carpet but have noticed him hooking his claws in it from time to time. I'll take a look at some slate options and that contractor's paper because paper towel just doesn't do it. I'm also trolling through photos on reddit for inspiration. Its weird how polarized opinions are on the use of reptisand.

I've had this guy for 8 years so far and he's been trucking along but in an enclosure that is smaller than idea. I never thought it was an issue until I put in a hammock for him to climb into and its made him so happy, and now I'm wracked by guilt for keeping him in too small a tank.

I use the heating pad only on the hot side, but I've left it on at night. I had also been using a daylight heat lamp also on the hot side on a timer but apparently natural light is apparently fine, especially since he's an albino, so now I'm not sure whether to continue using it in the new set up. There are one warm and one cold hide, plus one humid hide is already in the tank (this latter is critical since I live in a higher altitude, low humidity location), and water and food dishes (where I place the calcium as well). The bigger tank will let me build taller with more things to crawl on, and I'm considering a large enough water dish for him to get into from time to time.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

sorry to hear it Cowslips Warren

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Bilirubin posted:

Thanks! I love the look of the carpet but have noticed him hooking his claws in it from time to time. I'll take a look at some slate options and that contractor's paper because paper towel just doesn't do it. I'm also trolling through photos on reddit for inspiration. Its weird how polarized opinions are on the use of reptisand.

I've had this guy for 8 years so far and he's been trucking along but in an enclosure that is smaller than idea. I never thought it was an issue until I put in a hammock for him to climb into and its made him so happy, and now I'm wracked by guilt for keeping him in too small a tank.

I use the heating pad only on the hot side, but I've left it on at night. I had also been using a daylight heat lamp also on the hot side on a timer but apparently natural light is apparently fine, especially since he's an albino, so now I'm not sure whether to continue using it in the new set up. There are one warm and one cold hide, plus one humid hide is already in the tank (this latter is critical since I live in a higher altitude, low humidity location), and water and food dishes (where I place the calcium as well). The bigger tank will let me build taller with more things to crawl on, and I'm considering a large enough water dish for him to get into from time to time.

Update: he is now ensconced in his new 20 ga long tank of luxury and seems pretty chill with it. Today I got natural slate tile cut to fit and will install that tomorrow. Looks great and I will use the trimmings for extra features for him to climb over. I assume the thermostat sensor is applied directly to the tile above the heat pad?

Now we will have some fun with properly pimping his crib out.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Ok Comboomer posted:

if that’s going to directly control the temp of his basking spot, then yes. Just remember that basking spot temp =/= ambient enclosure temp.

Also it’s good to have thermometers in various places (bask, hot hide, cool hide, shade, etc) if you can. It’s nice to be able to see at a glance what the range of temps in the enclosure is like.

I have an ir handheld thermometer for that, works wonders

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Bilirubin posted:

Update: he is now ensconced in his new 20 ga long tank of luxury and seems pretty chill with it. Today I got natural slate tile cut to fit and will install that tomorrow. Looks great and I will use the trimmings for extra features for him to climb over. I assume the thermostat sensor is applied directly to the tile above the heat pad?

Now we will have some fun with properly pimping his crib out.

Update: the cut slate tile, even though cut to be shorter than the interior of the tank, is still too long so there is an overlap. I was going to take it in but damnit if hanging out on that bit of unevenness isn't now his favourite spot. And watching him chase down crickets now that he can scurry without the reptile carpet catching his claws is a lot of fun. I regret not having done this far sooner but better now than never.

He's curled in his humid hide prepping for a shed now.