Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

My green tree python lures me over to her cage with cute little tail waving and then kisses me much like the boiga must do. :love:

E: here is an old gif. Now she is green but still gives kisses.

HungryMedusa fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Feb 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

I have carpets, been keeping them for 10 years. This year I am trying my first official pairing of jungle carpets, featuring this girl:

They are not difficult to keep. Babies can be nippy, but it is up to the individual snakes. I keep my adults in 3' x 2' x 18" pvc cages or so depending on size. They get a heat pad on rheostat and sometimes a space heater if ambient temps get too cool. They are pretty good eaters and not difficult to handle once past a nippy phase, unless you get a murder snake, I guess?

Some carpets will refuse rats and prefer mice, but that is more of an annoyance than an actual problem in my opinion. I have two Palmerston locale jungles who are on mice right now and I am not too worried about trying to switch them. Here is one of them:

All in all, they make impressive animals who are easy to care for and don't get overwhelmingly large. I have kept different subspecies, like IJs and one coastal/IJ jaguar morph. I didn't see too much difference in their overall personalities. They all get hungry at night. They all go through an ontogenic color change. The IJs were cool because some times they had a really subtle purple tint to them at night.

The morph stuff is really beginning to get going with carpets, but I am not into that as much as just clean yellow and black jungles.

Here is the IJ/Coastal jaguar I owned:

I sold her when I got pregnant. She was kind of unpredictable and 8' by age 3, so I decided not to hold on to her.

I am not sure I would call carpets a beginner snake, but with enough research a lot of different snakes can be beginner snakes.

If you are serious about them, I recommend The Complete Carpet Python by Julander and Mutton. It is a great book.

HungryMedusa fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Feb 13, 2015

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Mimetastic posted:

:black101:

(Sorry about lovely filters/quality, took these on my phone.)

Love these. That snake looks good and he knows it!

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Congrats, Fraction. Cresties are fun. My daughter's is adorable, but doesn't like me much. I mist her and feed her anyway. I love when they jump, it is hilarious.

I thought my carpet female wasn't gravid, but she surprised me with ten fertile eggs and one slug last night. I put them in the incubator and am hoping for some babies in July!

Corinna on Eggs by HungryMedusa, on Flickr

This is Dad, he wants to eat me:

Ivan does NOT Approve 3 by HungryMedusa, on Flickr

And my GTP keeps looking prettier.

Tikka May 2015 2 by Hungrymedusa, on Flickr

HungryMedusa fucked around with this message at 19:44 on May 14, 2015

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

RodentPro has been getting worse lately. My last bag of pups had so many poops in it. I switched to Big Cheese and they were a lot less stanky.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

He looks good to me but I'm not a colubrid person. How often is he eating? My first thought is maybe a little excess weight. I would cut back on feeding and see if that changes anything. I'm not sure you should worry though, he is a beauty.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Baby snakes!!!!

I had 11 jungle carpet babies hatch out the 1st and 2nd of July. They are adorable and they are feisty. I have never been bitten by or peed on by anything I have loved this much ever.

I just have to get them feeding on something other than people and they will be ready to go. Unfortunately I am attached to them, so they may be staying here a while.

Caught a couple of them shedding the first time a couple days ago.

shedding2 by hungrymedusa, on Flickr

shedding by Hungrymedusa, on Flickr

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Silver, if you want one LMK. Once they are feeding I would be happy to give you one of my little males. They should be really clean - here's the parents.

I can give you the least bitey one - he has "nice" written on his ID card!

Their dad is the ivory - he is kind of an a hole.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

I love my pythons but have been thinking more and more about getting a boa. I really like the anery and ghost boas. I have an Animal Plastics 3' x 2' x 18" cage open so I'm guessing a boa could live in it at least a few years. My problem is that I really can not untangle what is what in boas right now. Any suggestions? This will be a pet / display animal so the better looking and he more calm the better. I am willing to pay around $300 and less for a good looking and well behaved boa. 'm not desperate for more snakes but the more I look at boas the more I think I want one. Especially one less of a spaz than carpets!

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Carpets mostly calm down. I got tagged by my big male this week who is the exception to that. He's about 7 feet.

Jungles, IJs stay smaller like 7 feet and coastals can get to be 9-10'. They are really slim snakes though. A 10 foot carpet will weigh a lot less than say a 10 foot boa.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

That is a cute skink!

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

I decided to google black throat /rock monitors because I am not a lizard person and drat. They get huge.

Also:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_monitor

People living with the HIV/AIDS virus in Yumbe district of Uganda have been injecting themselves with the blood of rock monitors, which they believe to be a cure for the virus.[15] Most are discontinuing anti-retroviral therapy to pursue this anecdotal treatment.[15] As a result, V. albigularis is reported to have become an expensive item in the Ugandan black market, selling for more than US$175 each.[15]

I just sent one of my babies off to college. My husband's cousin came and picked up one of my hatchling carpets. I feel way more sad than I thought I would! I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that hatchling was the only one who eats rats and not human flesh. Godspeed, Karl-Anthony.

HungryMedusa fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Sep 6, 2015

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Soonmot posted:

Spaghetti pooped on me. He was sitting on my leg and I was watching the contractions of his tail thinking, "huh is he trying to move? That's way too low to be his lungs, it's like peristalsis or something and then came the pee, a little turd, more pee and a big turd.

Does this make me a real snake-dad? I think it should.

In my experience, corns poop on you. A lot. A LOT. So yeah, welcome to the being pooped on constantly by corn snakes club/ herp parenting.

That's part of the reason I moved on to pythons; way too much corn snake poop.

ETA: I do miss my bitchy corn snake rattling her tail at me. She was probably a creamsicle, so hybrid. It was pretty cute that she thought I might just one time not pick her up because I suddenly thought she became a rattlesnake.

HungryMedusa fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Sep 13, 2015

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Soonmot posted:

That is a cool gecko!

Okay, I have two questions and one is dumb af.

Firstly: what are you guys measuring humidity with. Is there something like my laser thermometer? My tank is showing 20% humidity when, not only is Spaghetti's bark still at, but I can see some accumulations v of water onto of his hides and even on the bottom of his tank.

The stupid question is: do... Do they make snake leashes? Like I don't even know how that would work on a creature without limbs, but I'd love to take him for a walk when it warms back up next year. Or, you know, a slither.

I just use the cheap stick on tank humidity gauges but then I don't have anything that needs super accurate humidity. If the snake is shedding in one piece then humidity is fine.

They make lizard leashes/ harnesses but not snakes. It wouldn't work because anything you could get around them they can squeeze out of.

Snakes aren't smart enough to go on a walk - there would be no way to tell them where you want them to go. You would end up just dragging it along.

Some people let their snakes out in the yard for exercise, but if you do make sure it's in an area that hasn't been sprayed with fertilizers or pesticides. You have to watch them good as well so they don't get into anything, escape or climb into a tree and out of reach.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

It's almost sexy time here for my carpets again. I'm pairing my yellow gal from Covergirl lines to a Palmerston line male with lineage from Europe.
Mom:

Here's hopeful daddy Yancy.

I still have many of last year's JCP babies. They are getting big, not less feisty, but a lot cleaner as they prepare to turn yellow (or not).

This is fun.

There was a goon earlier in the thread wondering if they could handle a carpet. If that's you, or even not, I have a couple babies I'd be willing to gift to goons. PM me if you want a bitey gift! :3:offer not valid in Hawaii. Also, sorry, Tennesee!

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Guava posted:

Look who just arrived in the mail!

He's none too happy about it either. A billion thanks to Hungry Medusa... He's gorgeous!

You're welcome. At this age they aren't happy about anything. I predict he will be quite yellow in a few months. :3:

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

I like to use a nice thick layer (say, two inches or more) of sphagnum moss. You can easily change out the poopy spots, it retains moisture nicely when you mist and then releases it, it's naturally antibiotic, and the gecko buddies like to snuggle down into it at night. It's also good padding for when they make a leap of faith and misjudge the distance.

Do they ever correctly judge the distance? Watching our crestie jump is so hilarious. I don't think she gets where she is going 90% of the time.

We use cypress with a layer of sphagnum on top.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

TwystNeko posted:

So, my girlfriend just called me. She found the snake dead today, belly up and rigid. :(

I had handled her Sunday evening, and had noticed her wheezing a bit, but thought it was because she still had a lot of leftover shed on her head. I guess I should have found a herp vet in town and gotten her looked at. :(

Sorry to hear this. Don't feel bad, you did your best. Snakes are notorious for hiding illness until it is too late. At least the snake lived the last of its days in relative comfort.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Ugh, I thought my nieces winning fish at the carnival was bad!

I would take it in to a vet and see what they say. If it were me, I would also find out who the organizers of the carnival are and complain about it. In a lot pf places, there are regulations on who can buy and distribute baby turtles under a certain size to stop things like this from happening. Unfortunately, people find ways to bypass the laws.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

It's a boa constrictor. I'm not a boa person, so I don't know what kind it is but it looks anery to me? At any rate, they get a lot bigger than ball pythons.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

It is definitely a boa constrictor. The hard part will be id ing what type. It will grow to be like 5 to 12 feet long and quite heavy for their length.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Layne Labs is probably the most professional feeling feeder company I have used. Big Cheese Rodent Factory is good too . I think most online rodent companies use the co2 method which is a little less violent than the smashing heads, and they basically just fall asleep. I would personally not buy from the place that kills them violently like that. It's just unnecessary.

I do RodentPro some times but while they are cheaper, they have had some controversy with how healthy their rats are. I haven't had any bad experiences personally but I have heard stories.

ETA if you're going to physically kill a feeder rodent, the pencil behind the skull/ quick pull up on the tail to break the neck is the way to go. It's more controlled than just bashing the poor sucker.

HungryMedusa fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jul 31, 2016

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Knormal posted:

Carbon dioxide (CO2) or Carbon monoxide (CO)? Carbon monoxide is the one that just puts you to sleep, carbon dioxide is the one that triggers your suffocating response and is probably pretty unpleasant.

Layne Labs uses co2. They say it is "humane quick and painless." I guess we can't really ask the rats what it's like though. It might be awful.

Killing feeders isn't perfect any way you do it. I just would worry about the times you go to hit one on the counter or whatever and you slip or miss and then have to try again.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Cless Alvein posted:

What are some of the horror stories with em? I've flip flopped between then and Big Cheese depending on who has what in stock when I'm ordering and I can't really think of any problems I've seen with my mice,rats, or chicks.

I looked into Layne and holy crap their prices are double and shipping is almost $50 by itself vs Pro and Big Cheese doing flat rate $29 shipping now.

Here is the thread over on FaunaClassifieds about Rodent Pro. As you will see, FC can be kind of a dog pile on whoever. It's actually kind of fun to read through some of the more high drama threads.

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=334751

Basically their rats had some sort of zoonotic disease and they didn't tell anyone.
Later in the thread there are complaints about receiving rats that appear to be cut up. I try to only buy from RodentPro if they are at a herp show and I can see the rats while I am buying.

I like Big Cheese fine. Some tiny feeders in huge bags like pinkies can get beat up from them, but the adults are arranged neatly on foam trays. I think you have to order early in the week to get them shipped the same week.

I'm thinking of trying American Rodent soon because it looks like it only takes 2-3 days to get to me. Big Cheese and RodentPro can take more than a week depending on when you order.

Layne Labs are super pro and clean but that extra shipping kills me too, especially because I don't order a ton of rats at a time. The $29 shipping is perfect for a couple three bags of different sizes.

HungryMedusa fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Aug 10, 2016

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Here is my green tree python looking derpy.

HungryMedusa fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Aug 20, 2016

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

I need to take newer photos of him, I just have a bunch from his old cage setup.

Him looking more dignified:
Fresh Greens by HungryMedusa, on Flickr

Closeup:

Tikka May 2015 2 by HungryMedusa, on Flickr

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

beyonder posted:

Beautiful snake you got.

Thanks! Green tree pythons were my holy grail and I am glad I finally got one. Of course now that I have one, my sights are set on a Boelen's. I probably will never be able to afford a CB one though.

I get the not wanting to feed rodents thing. I have pet rats too and they are so sweet and gentle. It took me a while to get used to the idea before I got in to keeping snakes. It's especially hard to feed the cute baby rodents to my babies. Everyone has to eat, though.

They make these new snake sausages that I have heard good things about. I haven't tried them because they are more expensive than rodents and I am at 22 snakes currently. The sausages are at http://www.reptilinks.com/ and some carpet python people swear by them. It might be tough to get some pickier snakes on them, but they are interesting for sure.

Those egg eaters are awesome.I love the photos of them all full of a giant egg in their throats.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

TJs12Stones posted:

How long have you had this python? They are my favorite!

I got him as a juvie in 2013. Here he is as a yellow worm:

iPhone 2013 by HungryMedusa, on Flickr

About to shed and starting his color change:

Tikka in Blue by HungryMedusa, on Flickr

This guy is such a great snake. The only thing "wrong" with him is that scaleless patch on the middle of his head. As far as I can tell from reading about it, it can be a genetic thing in GTPs and doesn't hurt them. I don't plan on breeding him or anything. The only green tree python hopes and dreams I have is to some day buy a red neo and grow it up.

Here is one of my my favorite hatchlings from my jungle carpet clutch this year. I bred a high yellow female to a Palmerston locality male looking to make some nice bright yellow stripes. They have the stripe part down, hoping for some nice yellows as they grow.

Untitled by HungryMedusa, on Flickr

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

my cat is norris posted:

Thanks!

The design seems comparable to what Exo Terra sells. Both are priced...about the same? Ish?

Anyone have any thoughts and feelings about Exo Terra tanks versus other brands?

All glass aquariums are harder to heat and keep humid than say a pvc cage or other plastic cage. I have used an Exo Terra and also I think a Zoo-Med Exo Terra clone that were both on the small end. The Zoo-Med's door and locking mechanism were a lot more functional, including how easy it is to add a padlock to it. ( I don't see a way to do that to the Exo Terra?)

I had my green tree in the Zoo-Med, but it was heavily modified by having a layer of coroplast cut to the same size as the cage and taped around the outside edges to keep heat in, as well as a piece of plexi cut out to fit over the screen top to trap humidity. I still had to keep wet moss in it to keep the humidity up. That snake now has a pvc cage with radiant heat panel and it is much much easier to keep heated and humid.

The other creature I have in an Exo-Terra is our crested gecko. She gets misted constantly, but at least is easy to see in the Exo. And it has plenty of height for her to stick to the walls and look at us with her mean little adorable face.

If you have a high humidity animal, I definitely would skip the glass and go straight to Animal Plastics, PVCcages.com, Boaphile, Monster Cages, etc. The glass works in a pinch, though, and I'd go with the Zoo-med if you can.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Binary Logic posted:

Took another look at the video in fullscreen. Might want to check out what appears to be bumps on the jaw. Might be nothing, it's hard to tell.

Looks like a normal ball face to me. So cute and derpy. I think they probably do this kind of stuff all night long and we just don't notice.

Check for tiny black specks (mites which also encourage soaking), make sure the snake isn't going into a shed, and otherwise I would say the rubbing is normal. Rule out mites and you are probably fine.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

I assume they are really young snakes and eating frozen/thawed? Balls love to go off feed. I would check the temps and humidity first and make sure they are right. Wait a week and then try again and if they don't eat for a few attempts, I would remove them for public display until they do.

E: They could be refusing for winter, refusing for fun, going in a shed cycle, or could be sick. You can't tell with balls, but yes some pythons also stop eating during the colder months.

HungryMedusa fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Dec 15, 2016

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

I freaked out when I had my first ball fast even though I knew it could happen. I had a few balls and they were pigs. Then one decided to stop eating for a couple months. It was a young ghost back when morphs were just gaining steam. I did all the tricks I could find and nothing worked. A live mouse I bought even escaped to only god knows where from the box I was keeping it. Probably it's great great great great great great grandmice are infesting that house now.

Finally the drat snake decided to eat a f/t mouse one day on normal feeding day for all like 6 snakes I had. I decided to try him and he decided that was the night. Sometimes they just want a month or two off for whatever. Maybe they are saving their energy for reproduction or maybe they are just messing with people. I have no idea. My worst now is a carpet python with a great pattern who I would love to see thrive. He eats at most once every 10 times I offer. That 10th time he acts like I haven't been around with a rat for 10 years. The next week I come by and he's offended I would be so rude as to offer food and goes into hiding.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

How big is Spaghetti now? Pics? I miss my corns.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

He doesn't look like spaghetti any more. He is at least penne.

If he is an anery phase corn the yellow is typical, at least by the face and down the neck.. Handsome snake.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

One of my coworkers told me I should name one of my baby pythons "Monty" - like it had never been done before. My husband and I talked about it and decided next snake we get is going to be named C. Montgomery Burns for maximum nerdiness.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Re: Backwater or anyplace else, a good place to check before you buy any herp is the BOI. It is a little drama filled, but that's part of the charm.

A post on Backwater: http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=524149&highlight=backwater

Or Try Herpetoculture Feedback and Inquiry on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/342910095878787/

Reptiles are a weird hobby because traditionally there is a lot of regulation on dogs and cats and so forth but not as much on herps. So if something goes wrong you have less recourse than if a dog or cat or livestock transaction went poorly. Couple that with weirdos being attracted to the hobby in the first place and, you have to be careful.

HungryMedusa fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Mar 12, 2017

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Sorry for your loss, that sucks. Sometimes reptiles just hide illness really well and there isn't anything you can do.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

In May I went to a reptile show and came home with my first boa. This is David Boa, named by my daughter. I am in love with this little guy. He is so chill, with a great personality. It's a nice change form the carpets who can't stop moving around when handled.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

I would love a beardie but it's hard to find the space for an enclosure that large in my house. I've seen dragons with their owners at Petco and reptile shows on cute little leashes and they are so chill. Some day I'd love to have one. Not sure about roaches anywhere near my house though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

I liked our crested gecko. They are hilarious when they jump. Easy to feed with non gross food, and fun to supplement with a couple bugs to watch them "hunt."

I've never had a leo but known people who did and liked them. They have cute little faces.

And re: Dubias, I'm not afraid of them escaping, I'm just afraid of them! It's dumb as hell but some bugs make me run away screaming and roaches fit in that category. I can thaw rodents, hook worms and leeches for fishing, have gross worms in my fridge or crickets on the loose in my house but roaches cross the line.