Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ireland Sucks
May 16, 2004

Big Centipede posted:

you're not going to see anything close to affection in any snakes, although, I have heard keepers I know aren't idiots say that some monitors, tegus, and tortoises genuinely seem to seek out their keeper's attention. This is almost certainly due to some kind of feeding conditioning, but it's probably as close as youre going to see to affection.

I'm sure it doesn't prove affection and they are just trying to get out of the enclosure or sit on someone warm or something but this video has always been encouraging about getting some sort of dog like affection from Tegus https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwEbPZvhE_o

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ireland Sucks
May 16, 2004

It's even better if you look at pretty pictures and don't read text like me and try to figure out why the snake has a pair of decrepit human hands reaching out of its mouth

Ireland Sucks
May 16, 2004

Cless Alvein posted:

When I was at repticon last year, dude had his Tegu there for people to pet and look at while he was selling other things. Told me a story. He bought a burrito and set it on the end table and got up take a leak. Came back to find the Tegu running off with the burrito.

Tegus are not graceful eaters, I can imagine the mess one eating a burrito would make

Like but with chili and lettuce being sprayed up the wall

Ireland Sucks
May 16, 2004

I don't know what that stuff is but that's a bond villain post right there

Ireland Sucks
May 16, 2004

Boring bearded dragon substrate opinion-gathering excercise:

Most of what I would consider reputable sources (books, the reptile magazine I'm subscribed to, the RSPCA, a lot of websites in general) seem to think that certain types of loose substrate are OK. Certain other sources however (Reddit, tumblr...) seem very loud, if not unanimous, in saying that *all* loose substrates are a ticking eye abcess/impaction death timebomb.

My beardy wants to dig though, a lot. She is always scratting about in her hides scraping away and trying to tunnel and I feel kinda bad that there is nowhere to go and I'm thinking that the risk is way overblown in comparison to the boredom of keeping them on paper towels or tiles with nothing to dig in. The tray of alfalfa pellets does not really seem that appealing either. She is 6 months old so I don't think it's a gravid thing.

The reptile shop I got her from said that tiles are crappy because they can't grip them very well, agreed that sand is awful and sold me a clay based soil substrate called Lucky Reptile Desert Bedding which has been fine so far though I haven't given her enough to dig in. I'm considering getting Zoo Med Excavator Clay as well because it says you can kinda landscape it and i'd love her to be able to dig and tunnel around her own hides.

Opinions? Another reptile forum I asked suggested a bio-active setup but her poop smells like the reincarnation of Satans rear end in a top hat and I'm not letting that stuff linger in there a moment longer than necessary.

Ireland Sucks
May 16, 2004

Baby beardies are the cutest thing ever. Shame they grow into big sedentary grumps like mine.

She didn't eat veggies until she was quite a bit older, but eats them happily now. Don't think I've seen her touch water in the whole year I have had her, but still not dead so doesn't seem to matter that much.

Ireland Sucks
May 16, 2004

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

But the big, sedentary grumps are the best!

:kimchi:

Dear god... well a mother could love them

Ireland Sucks
May 16, 2004

quote:

The key to using CO2 humanely is its concentration. The normal concentration of CO2 in the air is only 0.038%. According to the 2000 Report of the AVMA Panel on Euthanasia, breathing concentrations of 7.5% increases the pain threshold, and concentrations of 30-40% cause anesthesia (unconsciousness) within 1-2 minutes. However, concentrations of 50% or higher irritate the eyes and respiratory tract and cause pain. Your goal is to create a concentration of 30-40% CO2 and hold it there until the rat is unconscious.

From the rat fanclub, so fair enough. Neck breaking is a nice idea in practice but I'm not sure how reliably it can be done instantly and first time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ireland Sucks
May 16, 2004

If you are going to go with the "but it's natural" argument then raising the rodents in a cage and trapping them alone in a glass tank with a snake isn't all that compelling. A lot of awful poo poo happens to things in nature and people aren't dirty hippies for thinking we shouldn't deliberately inflict it upon animals in our care.