Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphelion Necrology
Jul 17, 2005

Take care of the dead and the dead will take care of you
5 grams is a drop in the bucket for a near 700g corn, and 3 months isn't that long to go without eating for a snake that size. If you are that concerned, take her to a vet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphelion Necrology
Jul 17, 2005

Those three species are not compatible when it comes to care requirements and shouldn't be in the same enclosure. Box turtles eat meat, it's not really shocking that he wants to eat the very small living things in his enclosure.

As for the anole it looks dehydrated and might have MBD. I'm sure they probably don't want to take it to the vet but holy poo poo that cannot feel good.

Aphelion Necrology
Jul 17, 2005

Hazo posted:

What do you guys recommend? It's a public exhibit and I'd hate for some kindergartener to come by and see a footless anole getting chomped on by a turtle. Clearly the three species don't belong together, and I can try to convince them to split them up even though it's probably too late for the anole (calcium powder seems like too little too late at this point), but what's a better community for the turtle to share? Can they salvage anything at this point?

The turtle needs to be alone, it will probably be aggressive towards anything else you put in there. Reptiles don't need friends. Have them either take the anole to a vet or euthanize it, those legs look necrotic and probably hurt. Rehome/remove the frog.

Aphelion Necrology
Jul 17, 2005

Are canister filters an option with smaller tanks like that, in terms of waste removal?

Aphelion Necrology
Jul 17, 2005

So, so many animals have died so lovely-pants kids can harass the gently caress out of them for the sake of ~learning~

Aphelion Necrology
Jul 17, 2005

He's periscoping. Totally normal.

Aphelion Necrology
Jul 17, 2005

Do you have pictures of the 'white spots'?

http://www.turtlepuddle.org/health/shellrot.html

Aphelion Necrology
Jul 17, 2005

Hazo posted:

They are insects. They are tiny and lice-sized and they move.

I'm not familiar with any reptile mites that are white - maybe they are springtails/snow fleas? Those are harmless.

Aphelion Necrology
Jul 17, 2005

What the hell is a RUB.

Leave the poor thing alone - wait until Wednesday to attempt feeding. She needs time to acclimate and may not be active.

Aphelion Necrology
Jul 17, 2005

B33rChiller posted:

I've got a little story and a question for anyone who knows Bombinas. Somewhere around 2006 or 07, my wife came back from college with 4 fire bellied toads, given to her by a classmate with way too many on her hands. We've since set up a nice vivarium for them with some dry land and shallow water areas. We did what research we could on setting up a good habitat and feeding. They have done quite well since then, judging by the fact that they have bred a few times. The population in the vivarium has cycled between 4 and 40 individuals at various times.
I'm wondering if there might be a need for fresh genes? It seems like a pretty messed up inbreeding situation. The original 4 she started out with came from the same hatching, and we have no idea which toads are breeding with which. We've read up on how to determine the sex of individual toads, but we've had no luck in actually determining this ourselves. I can't even tell the individuals apart, although Mrs. Chiller claims to be able to. Maybe I'm a racist. They all look the same to me. Do I need to be concerned about the inbreeding, or am I over thinking this? I don't suppose you can get a toad fixed? I suppose we can just be happy that they are still alive, and let them carry on doing their toad thing. I wouldn't mind if they never breed again, since it's a serious pain in the rear end feeding the little ones still to tiny to eat crickets.

If they are still breeding and producing healthy babies, you don't have to worry about it. You could just destroy the eggs if it's a concern.

Edit: A lot of captive reptiles are severely inbred, that's how you end up with morphs.

Aphelion Necrology
Jul 17, 2005

ZarathustraFollower posted:

I think you might be misreading what Hood Ornament was saying. To put it another way, to get true breeding morphs, you generally have to cross siblings with sibling or siblings to parents so you have a lot of inbreeding in captive reptiles. Also, most captive populations don't have a large founder population to begin with, but that's a different issue.

This, yes. When morphs are being discovered/developed, a lot of inbreeding and linebreeding is done in order to determine the inheritability of the trait and to maximize the number of animals that show or carry the trait so they can be marketed and sold.

The original point being that inbreeding is very common in the herp trade and isn't really seen as a problem. The biggest issue you have is when you start accidentally breeding in a negative trait (stargazing, for example).

Aphelion Necrology
Jul 17, 2005

Mimetastic posted:

:black101:

(Sorry about lovely filters/quality, took these on my phone.)

These are great! Mex King?

Aphelion Necrology
Jul 17, 2005

Agreeing with Big Centipede. I've kept WC poo poo before, though nothing illegal. The problem is that most people who go outside and catch a thing have no idea how to take care of it, and it ends up slowly dying in their care when it would have been better left alone.

Aphelion Necrology
Jul 17, 2005

Good photos on this page. Mhmm.

Aphelion Necrology
Jul 17, 2005

OneTwentySix posted:

Anyone keep worm snakes in captivity, or something like that? I work at a place that does outreach programs with animals and we definitely need a snake, but I want something that will never bite the kids and would need mice (just due to freezer issues and so on, though I might pitch a hognose if need be.) Any recommendations or anything to add that we might try?

My first snake was a San Luis Potosi king and he never, ever bit me. I've also had a Rosy Boa that was really docile.

Most of my adult corns that were handled often didn't bite as long as you didn't smell like food. Ball pythons are also a good choice because they aren't really fast and are easy for small kids to hold or touch.

Aphelion Necrology
Jul 17, 2005

republicant posted:

I'm a newbie to keeping reptiles and I wanted to see if you guys could tell me if my baby red eared slider's shell is looking healthy. I'm not sure how old he is, just that he's about 2 inches long. He gets fed a varied diet that is not excessive in protein, has a UVA/UVB reptile light, and a dedicated basking spot where he can get fully out of the water and with a heat lamp gets up to about 94-95 degrees in the hottest spot. I'm just very paranoid about metabolic bone disease from seeing a lot of sad pictures of horribly deformed turtles.

Looks okay to me but I'm not a turt person really.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUrG8TrAOBo

Aphelion Necrology
Jul 17, 2005

A very apt name for a carpet.

Aphelion Necrology
Jul 17, 2005

Anole. Carolina/American probably.

Aphelion Necrology
Jul 17, 2005

Poachers have stolen an entire species of turtle. Every single loving Phillipine Forest Turtle. Now they need donations to try to save them all/

http://us9.campaign-archive1.com/?u=e6a7f8599e08681aa0cbfc9ce&id=e1b0beed7e

Aphelion Necrology
Jul 17, 2005

B33rChiller posted:

Bombinas are at it again! The new house we just moved in to has a really nice warm living room (thermostat has been reading 26-28 C in the late afternoon / early eavening), and the toads have bred again. Just yesterday, my wife was moving the tank to a new spot, and once it was set up, it was a full blown orgy up in there. Like a bunch of bloody animals I tell yah. Since she's down to 3 adults now, I figured I would do my best to keep a few of the new hatchlings alive. The last time any really survived to the point of losing their tails, it was a very laborious process of basically nursing the little retards to the point of not dieing if left alone for a few hours. I couldn't find any local feed small enough for them once they lost their tails, but we had a big compost bin out back, and it was hot outside. So I would go out with a small rubbermaid container, open the compost bin lid, and take a scoop of what came out with the rubbermaid. I'd usually get a fair shwack of fruit flies with that. But, I knew I needed to take away their flight abilities. So I'd throw the container in the freezer for just a quick stint, enough to knock the flies out, then poor them into the little tank we had the toadlets in. As the flies started to warm up, there was a brief period where they would drunkenly stagger around before taking flight. Hopefully they would be doing that right in front of the toadlet, and hopefully it would be able to scoop them up in its mouth, and not just a big mouthfull of substrate. Forget that nonsense. I'm not going to gently caress around this time, and I think I'll order something like this
I wonder though, is this meant to be a starter colony for breeding them? It seems rather expensive for just a few flies. I suppose if you kept it isolated from the regular population of fruit flies, they should be able to breed and have the offspring remain flightless right? Would I just put the colony right in the tank with the toadlets, and let them feed off what crawls out? Anyone here deal with these suckers before?
As of right now, we've got a bunch of unhatched eggs I salvaged from the old water, along with 3 really small tadpoles, and one very early starter big tadpole. He might actually be feeding on the smaller ones, and the unhatched eggs, which I'm cool with. Get big and be a winner little dude.
I took some photos of the setup and what we've got in the tank if anyone is interested

They can breed in the container. Also I prefer Ed's, personally, they're cheaper. http://www.flymeat.com/store/categorylist.aspx

Aphelion Necrology
Jul 17, 2005

ZarathustraFollower posted:

So apparently this image has been going around the internet.

Yup, nothing wrong with that method at all. Good on them for such an informative image. The bottom snake is a king cobra.

POISONOUS

Aphelion Necrology
Jul 17, 2005

SuperTwo posted:

Uh, isn't that "non-poisonous" snake a king cobra?

Edit: Somehow I totally missed the part where it actually says that in the post. On the plus side Whooo I was right.

I mean technically it's true.

Aphelion Necrology
Jul 17, 2005

Silver Nitrate posted:

Hey now, it's only bad on Wednesdays, everyone poops on Wednesday :(

I definitely do not miss Snake Poo Mondays or Regurge Tuesdays.

Aphelion Necrology
Jul 17, 2005

He just hates you, it's ok.

Aphelion Necrology
Jul 17, 2005

PezMaster posted:

Nacho Cheese says Happy Canadian Thanksgiving! :canada:

(pie is made out of Pangea, pumpkin, papaya, calcium plus, and a bit of non-fat/non-gelatin/non-flavoured/no sugar yogurt)

I can't hate this, no matter how I try.

Aphelion Necrology
Jul 17, 2005

Guava posted:

By the way, can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong with heat pads? Technically undertank heaters, although I mount mine on the side of the tank because that's supposedly safer. I have NEVER been able to get the warm sides of my tanks to a proper temperature using just a UTH, yet everyone says they're better to use than lamps, so I assume it works for some people. I'd much rather just use the pads because lamps are easier to knock over and dry everything out. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I've never used a UTH on the side of the tank, since you're relying on the heat rising upward that's probably why it doesn't work properly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphelion Necrology
Jul 17, 2005

Guava posted:

Yeah, stuff like that is why people have always told me to put it on the side, but if that doesn't work I guess i'll just try it with a thermostat... But I'm really nervous tbh :ohdear:

I'll say that in 10 years of keeping wayyy too many reptiles, I've never had a UTH failure. But make sure you buy a nice thermo.