Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
New thread! Yay!

My non-feeder finally ate! After 5 months of not eating, loosing a ton of weight, two vet visits, tube feeding, adopted feeder animals (anoles and a frog), and dealing with the clusterfuck that is Ben Siegel to try to get a refund, HE ATE THREE BABY QUAIL!! I just booped him on the nose with him and he bit them and he ate them. Weight wise it's a full meal for him. I am so loving happy :D :D :D

This is him, Solomon Island Ground Boa, Candoia carinata paulsoni.

In other news, I got a table for the next reptile show and I'm going to sell a bunch of my colubrids so I can focus on weird boas. Hopefully cut down on my feeding bill some because these drat kingsnakes eat too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT

Hood Ornament posted:

I could have sworn I had them listed up there already - but I guess not! Added, and thanks!

Frogs are cool. You should add in the pacman type of frogs too. I have one frog, she is a dwarf pixie. Pixies are also pretty easy to take care of but the giant ones get very big so maybe not a beginner animal.

Also, here is one of my Taiwan Beauties enjoying her new cage.

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
I feed everyone in the enclosure. It's not exactly safe to move my big ones when they are in feeding mode.

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT

Chido posted:

I kinda feel this should be in the OP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VxV717PRBU

Bruce seconds that motion. gently caress THE LITTLE SNAKES

Also yes most uros are WC, but you can find CB babies if you are will to pay a little more and wait until they are available.

Silver Nitrate fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jan 20, 2015

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
Look at what the cat dragged in!

Where do you all get your feeders from? I finally got a freezer so I got to make my first big order. This should last me like... three months? I used RodentPro because I needed both chicks and quail, but I have enough of those for like six months, so I can try a different place for my next order. There's nothing wrong with what I got fwiw. Which place is it that has those nice vacuum sealed rats on the meat trays?

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
Does anyone have experience with difficult respiratory infections? I got this albino ratsnake from a rescue and he has an RI that two series of shots with different antibiotics haven't helped any. He's going back to the vet on Thursday, is there some sort of test that they can do to figure out what is going on with him?

Here is a picture of him because pictures are fun. His name is Eggs.

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT

Bobbaganoosh posted:

Pretty animal, Eggs!

Sounds like quite a case of RI. For RI, I treat with a repti-fogger with 4ml F10 SCXD Veterinary Cleansing-Sanitizer and fill the rest with water. Pipe the fogger into a decent-sized rubbermaid with holes in it. Place the snake in. Run for 20 minutes. Turn it off and let the animal sit for another 20 and repeat daily for 2 weeks. Not sure how effective this would be for advanced RI, but it was effective against a moderate case. Unlike antibiotics, F10 is a disinfectant and mighty potent, so keep the dosage low if you go that route. The method has worked a half dozen times for me with no casualties. Use at your own risk, as some species may be more sensitive than others. But it has worked successfully for me with north american rat snakes, a python, and a rattlesnake.

Apparently there are cheaper foggers out there than the ZooMed one, which I use. It's handy to humidify a few of my animals' cages a couple times a week (green rats, rubber and rainbow boas, coxi) in addition to their humid hides. They seem to enjoy the interruption to the dry desert air here.

Edit: typos.

I've heard about that method before. I might give it a try if my vet has no more ideas. Ugh I hate people who dump sick snakes. I also hate the person that adopted him for a month before me and then turned him back in with no comment about his RI.

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
I just rearranged all of my snakes (and a frog, i guess too) and I must show off because it looks awesome.

SO MANY SNEK

Silver Nitrate fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jan 24, 2015

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Orange cubes are supposed to be refridgerated after opening.

lol poo poo thanks

My crickets are probably drunk on fermented orange cube now

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
I saw a car with a grenade sticker parked at the reptile store today. WHICH ONE OF YOU

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
This is my new project, a feeder gecko colony. I just got them a few days ago, but one came gravid, so hopefully I don't gently caress that up with my drunk crickets. As you can see, I also have the hard water stains.

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT

Eifert Posting posted:

Geckos are so boss how could you feed them to what are probably dumb and boring snakes?

I keep Candoia. A lot of them only eat lizards.

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
I do work with a reptile rescue and we get a beardie a week, at least. They are very hard to adopt out to (even with the low adoption fee of $5). If your beardies aren't fancy colors there is no market for them at all, just like normal ball pythons.

Edit: I figure you all might be interested in what comes in during an average month. Typically we will have 8 normal ball pythons, 3 red eared sliders, 1 sulcata, 2 normal BCIs, 1 retic or burm, 3 corn snakes, 1 kingsnake, 6 beardies, 2 leos (these go super quick), 1 russian tortoise, 1 iguana (usually euthanized, no space) and one or two really weird things.

Silver Nitrate fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jan 27, 2015

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
I dunno, I tried to use a f/t kinked beardie I got from a breeder as a feeder and no one wanted it. I think they might be too pokey.

Be careful what you wish for bunnies I have a really big box and a fedex account.

Silver Nitrate fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jan 27, 2015

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT

Big Centipede posted:

Ive seen monitors eat them. Monitors will eat anything though.

Monitors are loving badass

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
I know someone who has an alligator of some sort and it has a whole bedroom to itself. It seems pretty cool and chill, but drat it's biiiiig. They're kind of like meat eating iguanas with teefs instead of the tail whip from hell. I would rather have an aligator than an iguana but I could put a lot of snakes in a spare room instead. We get gators through the rescue occasionally and so far they have all been placed. :shrug: I would take one but I have been told we are not allowed to eat animals we get from the rescue.

Also please stop trying to breed those beardies, your female is too small and could die.

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
I got the results back from my ratsnake's throat culture and it is negative for everything. He's still making RI noises and has bubbles in his saliva. But is eating and otherwise healthy. What the heck could be causing this? A tumor? Something stuck inside of his nose? What the hell, snake. $500 in vet bills and dozens of shots later he's still got something going on. Worst free snake EVER

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT

Hood Ornament posted:

Like I said, scarring from previous RI can just make a snake sound like poo poo forever. If he does have a tumor, not much you can do about it. What did the Vet recommend?

I haven't talked to them yet, just got the message. It sounded like he was out of ideas, tbh. "Be sure to... keep an eye on him and... bring in that stool sample when you get a fresh one." We're basically hoping that the mega-deworming helped somehow. Lil' dude is really blue so I haven't been bothering him much but he sounds the same. If it was scaring though, there wouldn't be stuff coming out of his nose, right? I should really call the vet back. >.<

Silver Nitrate fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jan 28, 2015

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT

Eifert Posting posted:

I've eaten raw chicken liver, live octopus and any other # of probably poor decisions, but that doesn't sound like a good idea.

Octopi are so boss how could you feed them to what are probably dumb and boring humans?

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
I got my second rack today and I got the bins that I had drilled and put up. Tomorrow I'll have to get more bins so everyone except the little babies can have a larger space. Also, if my cats get into the snake room, they can't open the big bins as easily as they can the small ones. I'll be moving the geckos to the bare spot on the left rack. Goddamn I love Animal Plastics.

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
I like turtles

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT

wtftastic posted:

But seriously what is the minimum time and dollar investment for a beginner snake?

Like $100 for a cage, heat, thermostat, and some mice. You can get the snake for free on craigslist. :v People are always getting rid of them its kinda sad actually.

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
Yeah, basically the only required expensive part of snakes is temperature control. Definitely get a thermostat and a laser temp reader, everything else you can make or find. Orrr you could be like me and spend too much money at Animal Plastics.

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
I have to do some cleaning today, are there any animals I have that ya'll want to see? I have one of everything. (No pythons)

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
Sorry to hear about your hoggie :(

WHY DID YOU HAVE TO PICK KINGSNAKES?!?! They pooed on me :(

Okay so first, this is a desert kingsnake

Hypomelanistic Florida king

Hypomelanistic Cali king

Abberant Cali king

Desert phase Cali king

And I don't really do geckos except for my colony of house geckos, so here is the one I was able to get a picture of. They're very shy and even faster.

Aaaaand in case any of you were thinking, wow Silver Nitrate has a tame green anaconda, its so pretty I should get one. THIS is what I have to deal with three times a week and he's just a baby.

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
Lol yeah he's gonna be fun. Have I shared the story of why on earth I have an anaconda?

There was this post in the local reptile group like, "I just got this snake and it needs to go to a new home or my mom is going to kick me out." And since it's a cool snake I figured I would grab it and try to find it a good home since I didn't want it to go to another idiot 15 year old kid. But lil dude is pretty chill and I like him. He's a male so he'll only get like 7-11feet, which I can deal with but I'm not sure that I'm going to keep him yet. I mean, that's still a really big snake.

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
I've heard alright things about that reptile show.

Unrelated, buuuuuut...

I just got back from our herp society meeting. This month our surrendered reptiles consisted of: 1 carpet python, 7 ball pythons, 2 bearded dragons (one with mbd), 1 sulcata, 1 asian box turtle, 1 greek tortoise, 3 painted turtles, and 2 red eared sliders. No boas, no colubrids, which is good for me because I don't deal with anything else.

About half were adopted, because lol can't give away normal ball pythons. The red eared sliders and painted turtles always go to one member who I guess has a massive indoor pond and just tosses them all in. No one wants them, ever. All but one of those snakes had bits of stuck shed.

Please do not buy a red ear or a painted or a normal beardie or normal ball if aren't sure you want them. Forever. They live a long time. Get something with monetary value so someone else will want it when you are done. Ahhh I'm so frustrated.

We may be approaching the capacity of our members to take in certain kinds of animals and might have to start euthing them. :( booo hisss

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT

Galactic posted:

Just picked this little guy up from the NoVA expo. Will get some more pics once he's settled in and eaten a bit. Super citrus x German giant they said, I just found him to be very pretty.

Pretty little dude :3

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
I found eggs in the house gecko cage while I was moving them to a nicer enclosure. I hope I didn't gently caress anything up too bad, but I'm sure they will make more eggs for me and maybe lay them somewhere that I can take them out and incubate them.
Eggs

New cage, still need to add some more climbing stuff.

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
Yeah that's what I'm doing. I laser tempted them before I moved the log and I put it in a spot in the new cage that has the same temp and leaf cover. I'm just worried about the babies escaping because the exo has those air vents

Silver Nitrate fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Feb 8, 2015

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
The green anaconda lives in the amazona and also in my apartment. He is ~8 months old, around 36", and eats f/t day old chicks. He will probably mature around 9ft, which is how big his father was. Despite the dumbass kid that bought him, I have since found out where he came from and this is a well bred greenie. Both of his parents are super tame and used for educational demonstrations.

This is his cage, it's 4'x2'x1'. He's got a swimming area about 1/3 of the cage. He will get an 8'x3'x3' cage when he needs it if I decide to keep him. My Cali King is doing a photobomb.

He spends most of his time burrowed. Can you find him?

Here he is!

He's a very pretty little thing.

My favorite part are his eyes, which stick out very far, from all angles.

Under his head.

Itty bitty spurs

He's a pretty cool little dude. :3:

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
Snakes don't have ears, they sense vibrations with their jawbones. If you play you stereo at anything louder than like, normal talking volume I would recommend rearranging things. Congrats on your new pet rock, btw. :3:

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Talk to silver nitrate imo

Let's take this outside, lagomorph

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
I don't let people come over on Wednesdays. That's when everyone poops :(

its wednesday kill me now poops everywhere

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
Serious post, my googlefu has failed me. Does anyone know how long flat tailed house gecko eggs take to hatch? My local reptile store said most geckos that walk on glass take 60-75 days but does anyone know for real? Also, why the gently caress are they so drat noisey??

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
I have one snake that will crawl up my arm and on to my shoulders when I stick my hand in his cage. I think he just likes to climb and look around, but it is pretty cool. Everyone else tolerates or is indifferent to handling (or tries to eat me).

Also I am jealous of the rufos. They're like alien worms.

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
Going to try sani-chips instead of shredded aspen. So far my vacuum likes this stuff a lot better. It's more like cat litter, it clumps up around the poops. My life is so exciting.

But seriously, carpet pythons are so drat pretty. I might pick up one from my buddy's super tame pair if I can sell off some kingsnakes. I don't know what color they will be, I just want one that doesn't want to eat my face.

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
I don't reccomend paper towels because sometimes snakes eat them. If you want to use paper, newspaper, packing paper, or butcher's paper is much harder for them to injest.

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
I AM NOT A WILDLIFE SCIENTIST BUT: You can just put it in a tupperware bin with air holes in it (I wouldn't use anything much smaller than 1/2snakelength x 1/2snakelength) and a little dish of water until your cold snap is over and let it go near where you found it. Put some paper towels in there so it can hide itself and a secure lid. I wouldn't let it go before it hits 50 degrees, (I'm just guessing that you live somewhere where that is in the near future, correct me if I'm wrong please). Brumation is a pretty cool thing. So long as they aren't digesting anything and they're at cooler temperatures their body goes into ultra-slow-mo and they don't need much.

Edit: for better info and to find out if its an escaped pet or not your general location and a picture would be helpful :)

Silver Nitrate fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Feb 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
Tathrie: Since you're in CT and looking at longer than a few weeks, I would contact your local wildlife rescue and see if they will take it in. Or keep it as a pet, but that may not be legal where you live :)