Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT

Desert Bus posted:

If this were a fishroom I'd say "Stocklist?" but I don't know if that is the correct term here. Can you tell us what all is in that incredibly impressive reptile room, please?

Collection or stock? Idk if we have a certain term.

2.2 Boa constrictors - hypo, hypo motley, normal
1.1 Solomon island ground boas - Isabel isle locality
2.1 Solomon island ground boas - no locality
1.1 Waigeo island tree boas
2.1 Dumeril's boas
1.0 Rosy boa
1.1 Cape gopher snakes
2.3 Bullsnakes - Texas, Kankakee, white side, albino patternless
0.1 Jungle carpet python
0.1 Centrillian carpet python
1.0 Angolan python
1.1 Grey rat snakes
1.1 Taiwan beauty snakes
1.0 Japanese rat snake
1.0 Ruthven's kingsnake
0.0.1 Longnose snake

0.3 Leopard geckos
0.0.2 African fire skinks

0.1 Dwarf pyxie frog
0.0.1 Giant pyxie frog

1.0 Gulf coast box turtle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
I'm not sure of her exact location, she's several generations removed from the wild.

Edit: Here are her parents

Bernie is doing good, I got these weird reptile sausage things with ground rabbit and veggies and he loves them. It's hilarious watching him eat sausages.

Silver Nitrate fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Nov 2, 2015

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
gently caress mites. gently caress them so hard.

No longer going to buy bedding at the local reptile store.

-disappears into a cloud of Provent-a-Mite-

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT

Cless Alvein posted:

Ouch. I gave up on pet store bedding and just buy big rear end bags of No Float Cypress Mulch that I bake off when I get a chance to just for insurance. Works great and at $3 a bag a hell of a lot cheaper.

I'm going to start buying my aspen bedding at the feed store and cypress at the garden store. I figure the changes of getting mites from them are much lower. With a collection my size, baking it is not really a option. This time of year I can freeze it first at least.

Right now everyone is on blank newspaper, and will be for the forseeable future. It's ugly, but it's easy to change every few days to help prevent the mites from hatching.

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
So, just in case anyone was wondering if Underground Reptiles was really as bad as they had heard, take this from their own website. This is a snake they photographed and thought was good enough to sell.

It's emaciated and is covered in skin lesions. :v:

It can be yours for only $49.99
https://undergroundreptiles.com/shop/african-water-snake/

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
The Herp Society rescue was surprisingly thin this month. Good job, city?

1 ball python, 1 boa constrictor, 3 corn snakes, 1 red eared slider, 1 bearded dragon, 1 leopard gecko, 1 blue tongue skink, and 2 fire belly toads.

Guess who followed me home?

He's about 14 years old, a Hamalhara T. gigas gigas and he's missing several toes from stuck shed and will probably loose a couple more, they were pretty rough under all the dead skin. Other than that he seems very healthy, is in good body condition, and is huge for an Indonesian blue tongue! And unlike Spot, who I sold to a friend because he was a raving rear end in a top hat and frightened my mother, this one is completely tame. After I cleaned his toes, he crawled onto my shoulder and camped out. He doesn't mind being pet, I can even touch his chin and the top of his head and he doesn't care one tiny bit. I am so thrilled to finally have a friendly bluey! Once his toes are resolved I'll be using him for reptile demos.

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT

ToxicFrog posted:

Actual human baby. Well, toddler. We're not actually letting him play with the snake, or vice versa, but he'll come into the room while the snake is out, and the snake will get interested and peek down at him from whoever is holding her. He'll see the snake and reach up, she pulls back.

When I show really little kids reptiles I only let them stroke with two fingers. It seems to keep them from grabbing them. If he's not old enough to understand that instruction I would just let him look but not touch because little kids love accidentally poking stuff in the eye. And their fingers look like baby mice. : P

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
Took my new skink to the vet because he has an eye issue. Vet couldn't tell if it was stuck shed or a torn eyelid so he's got eye goop and a saline eye wash. We'll recheck in three weeks or so. Hope it gets better quickly.

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT

Soonmot posted:

Hey, a customer of mine is having trouble keeping crickets alive. She keeps about four dozen in a tank 8x6 inches with cardboard, water and food pellets and right next to her beardie so temperature is pay, but almost half die by the morning. Any tips for next time I see her?

Add substrate. Mine started living twice as long when I added an inch of wood chips. Also if it's plastic, you have to wash off the mold release with hot soapy water or that will kill them too.

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
Aquatic turtles make up 1/3 of our surrendered animals and the vast majority of the ones we can't adopt out. Try and convince her to get a small land turtle/tortoise if she's set on something with a shell. Red eared sliders and painted turtles are pretty lovely pets tbh

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT

VaultAggie posted:

How can little snakes survive without food? I have a three month year old variable kingsnake who hasn't eaten in about 4 weeks. Is he just going through a phase and will eat when it gets warmer out? I'm feeding frozen then thawed pinkies, but he just completely ignores them.

So long as he's not losing weight, a very long time. Several months, at least. He's probably just going through a winter phase but I would offer a live pinky and see if that sparks his interest. Also double check your temps and make sure it's still warm enough for him.

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
I haven't posted here for a while. Life stuff happens, change is bad.

Also I have some bullsnake eggs, should be hatching soon. Anybody want a snekcam?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
https://twitter.com/rattlesnakeguy/status/1148222462389346304?s=21