Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Shithouse Dave posted:

I did day one of my two days of ride-alongs with cruelty investigators today. I met a man who performed a home euth (badly, but he was genuinely trying to do the right thing and I felt bad for him) and a lady who couldn't afford a vet so allowed her cat to die slowly of a urinary blockage. Charges will be recommended for both.
The investigators are much harsher than I think I would be, but they each have three years of it behind them and I think they're a little jaded. There was a big difference between the way they treated people and the way we treat people back in my town. I know it's because they've seen some awful things, but I still think I would have worded things a little differently than "your cat is DEAD and you let it DIE HORRIBLY". Even poor and/or stupid people really love their pets, and I think I'd rather have people not be afraid to come to us for help. These people are never going to call our organization for anything ever again, and much worse poo poo goes down when people are afraid to ask for help.

I hope tomorrow is better.

Conversely sometimes it takes using those words in that manner to really drive things home for people. I had a woman who wanted to take home a cat with a urinary blockage, and I said just that to her. Your cat will die, and it will die in a terrible amount of pain. Point blank. You can't sugar coat that poo poo with some people. If you can't afford to treat the cat at least loving euthanize it and end its suffering. You will find a vet who will euthanize the animal for cheaply or free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread