Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I spent three years volunteering at a shelter when I was in college, but my peculiar work schedule these days doesn't permit it.

Given that I'm a cat person and not a dog person, I worked exclusively in the small house where they kept the cats, and I was surprised when all the staff wanted me to do was bring a book, pick up a bag of treats and a toy or two at the shelter office, and sit down in the cat house for a few hours. The idea was to simply get the cats used to being around humans.

Only really bad thing I ever saw working there was when the shelter rescued about thirty maine coons from a breeder in what were reportedly very bad conditions that no one liked to talk about much. Maine coons are gorgeous cats when healthy, big affectionate goofballs, but the cat house's new occupants were some of the thinnest, most raggedy animals I've ever seen. :( They were social enough, with one exception: they were terrified of hearing humans talk. If I stayed quiet, they slowly warmed up to me over the course of the next few months, but they would all bolt under the nearest furniture if I ever spoke to a staff member or another volunteer.

Most of them got over that in a year or so, thankfully, and I saw most of them get adopted out by the time I graduated and had to stop volunteering there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Error 404 posted:

To anyone who's ever had to handle pissed off chickens/turkeys, that line about raptors being 6 foot turkeys was no loving joke.

Read the chicken thread. Lots of anecdotes about chicken owners being pretty certain their critters would eat them if given the chance. I remember one in particular about two chickens grabbing a rat at either end and playing tug of war until they pulled it apart.

• Locked thread