Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mookerson
Feb 27, 2011

please work out

quote:

Been thinking about volunteering at my local shelter.

For those of you who have, how accommodating were they when/if you didn't want to do specific tasks? I don't want to care for dogs for example, I'll happily shovel cat poo poo though. All that barking and walking...

We would take you and let you do cats, but if you complained about doing anything in the cat area we probably wouldn't be excited to have you back.

quote:

The shelter I ALMOST volunteered for also had a gigantic cockroach problem, but with all the dog food around, and animals, they couldn't do much about it.
Lolrats. We have a rat nest under one of our sheds. I am having it moved tomorrow, I will try to get some pictures. The city owns our facility, so there isn't a whole lot we can do about it other than keep everything as clean as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mookerson
Feb 27, 2011

please work out

Bananaquiter posted:

I feel like my shelter is always changing policies and not for the better.

:sigh:

Are you comfortable expanding on this any further? I love to hear outside perspectives, and sheltering can be such a divisive industry.

mookerson
Feb 27, 2011

please work out

Bananaquiter posted:

When I started we would do things like 10 to 14 day medical/observational holds for under-vaccinated puppies pulled from high risk open intake shelters. Or at least they would stay in foster till their second booster.

Now we're getting them neutered the very next day and adopting them out two days after that.

It's hard to counsel when you're adopting out a 2 month old puppy that's only been in the shelter for a handful of days and only has the first initial booster. I think I spend a full ten minutes talking about parvo. I think at least half of me is trying to talk them out of adopting at all.

Man I'm never going to adopt a puppy.

What kind of resources do you guys have? How many animals a year? It sounds like you are limited admission, have you done any reading on fast track/slow track adoptions? A lot of shelters are prioritizing adoptions and as a result are able to help a lot more animals.

I think it's pretty universal though to hate adopting out puppies in the shelter world, for all the reasons you brought up.

mookerson
Feb 27, 2011

please work out
I got my first "failure to thrive" kitten of the year today :(

We got a mama cat with a really late litter of 7 kittens in last week. 2 of the kittens died in the first 2 days, then we got the whole family to foster. The foster mom brought in the runt of the 5 who are left today because the mother cat had stopped feeding it, and even with supplemental feedings the kitten had lost 10% of its body weight in 3 days and was starting to shut down. Euthanasia is hard enough, but gently caress unweaned kittens are heartbreaking.

I am really not looking forward to summer.

mookerson
Feb 27, 2011

please work out
My newer people watch these two videos on dog body language before we even go to a kennel and talk about dogs:
Canine body language
Human body language as it relates to dogs

Both of these require ASPCAPro registration but its free and you can make something up.

There is a printout to go with them that has pictures of common aggression/fear signals, so what I do when I have someone who needs more help looking out for warning signs, I sit down with them and that sheet and watch youtube videos of dog attacks and help them point out the precursors to a bite. It sounds horrible, but it is a good way to build up your skills in a safe way.

I think another important thing to keep in mind is that no matter how good or predictive a temperament test is, the stress of the kennel can make even a really stable dog go absolutely nuts in a really short period of time, so you need to keep an eye out on the dogs you know just as much as the ones you don't.

Error, I'm sorry to hear about Western. That is always a tough thing to do.

• Locked thread