Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gameplusmeagan
Apr 2, 2014

I play games and sometimes the things I say are of a humorous variety.

Release Date: September 2, 2014
M for Mature: Blood, Drug Reference, Violence
Genre: Adventure
Publisher: Focus Home Interactive
Developers: Frogwares

From IGN:
Unlike the previous adventures of Sherlock Holmes, in Crimes and Punishments you will not be a mere spectator during the detective's investigation. It is now your turn to truly become Sherlock Holmes and lead your own investigation–actually, your investigations, as 8 captivating cases await you! Murders, disappearances, spectacular thefts, and other investigations will bring you to the cutting edge of the detective genre. Each case, written in the pure tradition of Conan Doyle's novels, offers real freedom to players, who will have to make important moral choices instead of simply enforcing justice by the book. All decisions have an influence in the game and affect your character’s reputation in addition to having realistic, sometimes unexpected, consequences. You will have to bear the weight of your choices, as Crimes and Punishments offers an exciting system of actions/consequences that forces players to think before acting by giving true depth to every decision they make.

I'm Meagan and I play video games with Chuck. For fun. Our style is casual and we say bad words. This is an entertainment-heavy LP. While we actually enjoy playing the game and have never played this particular game before, we are by no means professional video game players. If that's not your jam, it's cool; we just want you to know what to expect.

You may have seen us Sherlockin' it down in another thread where we LPd Sherlock Holmes VS Jack The Ripper. Check it out here if you want to start with our debut case!

Since we're detectives trying to solve a mystery, NO SPOILERS PLEASE! We're going into this one blind, so don't be lovely by ruining the story for us or others. However, feel free to point out things we've missed or dumb things we haven't figured out that will be helpful to the mystery! We're all sleuths here!

THE GAME IS AFOOT!

gameplusmeagan fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Feb 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
So...this is the one that's supposed to be good?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

anilEhilated posted:

So...this is the one that's supposed to be good?
Yeah, its quite good. I still need to play through the last chapter but its the closest any game has gotten to the detective game I want.

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

"It's video games, Scully."
Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."
And if I just can tear my eyes away from the next gen pores, I'd like to point out the awkward animations (such as lazy mouths in lipsynching and Holmes completely frozen while talking to the woman), stilted dialog (such as Mrs. Hudson exclaiming "How could you?" or Holmes shoehorning "Plymouth" in for no good reason), the fact that we haven't actually seen any new detective gameplay - although I guess it's a bit of an innovation to extend the interactions we have been able to perform on corpses to living people.

Also, something pertaining to the LP, for which I'd like to suggest a subtitle of "A mystery of three volume levels", because there's three volume levels between which I have to change while watching the videos - the intro that I have to turn way down to avoid going deaf; the commentary - the middle, or average; and the game, for which I have to turn the volume way up.

gameplusmeagan
Apr 2, 2014

supermikhail posted:

Also, something pertaining to the LP, for which I'd like to suggest a subtitle of "A mystery of three volume levels", because there's three volume levels between which I have to change while watching the videos - the intro that I have to turn way down to avoid going deaf; the commentary - the middle, or average; and the game, for which I have to turn the volume way up.

Apologies for the volume issues -- we had a problem with our mic for the first few episodes since we hadn't recorded in a while. It's been fixed, but we appreciate you sticking it out while our volume fluctuates. :hfive:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

supermikhail posted:

And if I just can tear my eyes away from the next gen pores, I'd like to point out the awkward animations (such as lazy mouths in lipsynching and Holmes completely frozen while talking to the woman), stilted dialog (such as Mrs. Hudson exclaiming "How could you?" or Holmes shoehorning "Plymouth" in for no good reason), the fact that we haven't actually seen any new detective gameplay - although I guess it's a bit of an innovation to extend the interactions we have been able to perform on corpses to living people.

the animation thing i can't explain, since they started doing mocap with testament and used it for this one too. but the lack of puzzles is intentional; they said in interviews that puzzles were always the least popular part of their games, and that they wanted to phase them out over time until they were removed completely in lieu of more detective stuff.

which is good because it means no more loving sliding tile puzzles, ever again.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
I think you should look around the Baker Street apartment some more.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Let's be honest, Megan, these days Hugh Grant looks like a wrecked Hugh Grant :v:

EDIT: Also, you need to make Sherlock look like Abraham Lincoln at some point because that makeup table absolutely has the beard and hat.

Polaron fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jan 18, 2015

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."

gameplusmeagan posted:

Apologies for the volume issues -- we had a problem with our mic for the first few episodes since we hadn't recorded in a while. It's been fixed, but we appreciate you sticking it out while our volume fluctuates. :hfive:

Eeeexcept that you had the same problem with Jack the Ripper, but lately I'm in a sufficiently foul mood to point it out. :shobon:

corn in the bible posted:

the animation thing i can't explain, since they started doing mocap with testament and used it for this one too. but the lack of puzzles is intentional; they said in interviews that puzzles were always the least popular part of their games, and that they wanted to phase them out over time until they were removed completely in lieu of more detective stuff.

which is good because it means no more loving sliding tile puzzles, ever again.

Oooh, boy, wait until the next video (unless what I watched a while back was from a completely reworked demo... which it wasn't, I'm pretty sure).

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
Maybe I'm just used to it, but the theme actually doesn't seem as blaring as it used to be. :v:

The game is super duper quiet though. The talky bits are suffering the most. Do you guys do auto ducking? That'll let us hear you guys when you are talking while raising the game audio to an audible level when you aren't.

dijon du jour fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jan 19, 2015

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Your talking volume is mucccch louder than the actual game.

Also the beginning 'this is my youtube' thing is kind of loud for me!

gameplusmeagan
Apr 2, 2014

ZenVulgarity posted:

Your talking volume is mucccch louder than the actual game.

Also the beginning 'this is my youtube' thing is kind of loud for me!

Already got Chuck working on it. We took a short break and when we came back our audio stuff was all off. Apologies, friends!

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Oh wow, this looks super neat. And just look at those goddamn pores.

I might try and pick this up, because it seems right up my alley.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008
The PC version had something like a 30 sec loading time in that carriage when I played it (every time he changed locations), so be glad you're not playing that version.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

whitehelm posted:

The PC version had something like a 30 sec loading time in that carriage when I played it (every time he changed locations), so be glad you're not playing that version.

I actually don't mind that so much because it looks like they actually give you something to DO in the load screens. I really wish more games would do this, loading times are a fact of life but that doesn't mean the player has to sit there with nothing to do but alt+tab out to do something else. Having the investigation book available is a really good idea, and I hope it helps Meagan and Chuck.

And count me as another person who might end up getting this themselves, it looks neat so far. I"ll give it another couple vids before that, but if nothing egregious comes up...

the Gaffe
Jul 4, 2011

you gotta believe dawg

Shoeless posted:

I actually don't mind that so much because it looks like they actually give you something to DO in the load screens. I really wish more games would do this, loading times are a fact of life but that doesn't mean the player has to sit there with nothing to do but alt+tab out to do something else.

This is pretty relevant to your comment, as well as current:

http://www.gamespot.com/videos/the-point-the-patent-that-gave-us-20-years-of-load/2300-6423024/

Basically, Namco had a patent for the last 20 years that covered any sort of interactive element as part of the loading screen.

edit: Actually rewatching that video, to verify what isn't allowed is an auxiliary game during load times. If the mini-game uses assets of the game it's already loading, then it's fine. So FIFA can have a little soccer mini game using the same assets as the main game, but they can't have a tic tac toe game or something.

the Gaffe fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jan 20, 2015

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

the Gaffe posted:

http://www.gamespot.com/videos/the-point-the-patent-that-gave-us-20-years-of-load/2300-6423024/

Basically, Namco had a patent for the last 20 years that covered any sort of interactive element as part of the loading screen.

........excuse me, I need to go bash my head against the wall for a few hours in frustration.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Oh, cool - I was hoping this would happen. This game is obviously a huge leap forward, but I'm kind of glad to see that it still feels a bit "off" in some of the scenes - not to the extent of the last game's "Here's Watson bumbling around NOW HERE'S A MUTILATED CORPSE TO EXAMINE IN DETAIL", but still enough to feel like it's from the same developers. Anyway, I'm really looking forward to it.

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

Video games?"
"Hmm... interesting."

the Gaffe posted:

edit: Actually rewatching that video, to verify what isn't allowed is an auxiliary game during load times. If the mini-game uses assets of the game it's already loading, then it's fine. So FIFA can have a little soccer mini game using the same assets as the main game, but they can't have a tic tac toe game or something.

What a waste of paper, but I have to wonder, if Bioshock had the pipewalker minigame on loading screens would this have raised any issues? (Besides driving players crazy.) On the one hand, no, assets are from the game. On the other hand, this way you can put any minigame in, and then use it in loading screens, regardless of how much significance it has in the actual game.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

supermikhail posted:

What a waste of paper, but I have to wonder, if Bioshock had the pipewalker minigame on loading screens would this have raised any issues? (Besides driving players crazy.) On the one hand, no, assets are from the game. On the other hand, this way you can put any minigame in, and then use it in loading screens, regardless of how much significance it has in the actual game.

Was I really the only person who liked the Piperunner minigame? Really?

And yeah, that edit is much less crazy. Though then the question is re-opened of why more games haven't done more with their load screens. C'est la vie.

gameplusmeagan
Apr 2, 2014

Part 2 is up, and we are getting so detective-y up in this poo poo ALREADY. Brace yourselves -- this game really is way, way cooler than Ripper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H434wRcSjQ8

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

gameplusmeagan posted:

Part 2 is up, and we are getting so detective-y up in this poo poo ALREADY. Brace yourselves -- this game really is way, way cooler than Ripper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H434wRcSjQ8

To be fair to Lestrad not getting what Holmes is getting at with the ambush, by this point Holmes has almost certainly shot down everything that comes out of his mouth so that yes, he figures it's going to be an ambush but he can save more face by just plain not volunteering any ideas. You can get shot down if you weren't airborne to begin with!

Shoeless fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jan 21, 2015

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Without spoiling anything, please use the telescope in Holmes's flat at your first opportunity.

gameplusmeagan
Apr 2, 2014

In this episode Sherlock goes on a late night date with Lestrad. Don't tell Watson.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eq53W3eldjs

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I saw the last objective and Holmes' comment and all I could think of was, "Stand still, Watson! We have to make this as accurate as possible!"

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I love the Sherlock Holmes stories, but they'll never be quite as enjoyable to me now that I realize they don't contain the phrase "harpoon throwing experiment".

gameplusmeagan
Apr 2, 2014

Who's ready for pig-harpooning and a special surprise through a telescope? This episode has it all and MORE!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q54Q8XpAq70

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Your screams during the telescope scene were so blown out I thought they were coming from the game, which made it about ten times funnier than it already was :v:

gameplusmeagan
Apr 2, 2014

Polaron posted:

Your screams during the telescope scene were so blown out I thought they were coming from the game, which made it about ten times funnier than it already was :v:

Hahaha you're right! Awesome. But you're never quite ready for a surprise quite as nasty as that one.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

gameplusmeagan posted:

Who's ready for pig-harpooning and a special surprise through a telescope? This episode has it all and MORE!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q54Q8XpAq70
I'm so glad you followed my advice!

gameplusmeagan
Apr 2, 2014

SubponticatePoster posted:

I'm so glad you followed my advice!

So are we, friend, so are we.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

gameplusmeagan posted:

Hahaha you're right! Awesome. But you're never quite ready for a surprise quite as nasty as that one.

"Lee" refers to an area near an object that is shielded in some way by the object. For instance, the lee of a boulder in a storm would mean the area near the boulder where the rain and wind aren't as harsh due to the boulder blocking them. Another example, the lee of a shack wherein it blocks the sun to provide shade.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

gameplusmeagan posted:

So are we, friend, so are we.
If it makes you feel better, my reaction was pretty much the same as yours.

E: gameplay tip: Every time you pick up a new piece of evidence look at it in the casebook. Like the ring, sometimes you have to research in order to progress.

SubponticatePoster fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jan 25, 2015

gameplusmeagan
Apr 2, 2014

New episode is up, and thank god, it's the last one with lovely audio. Enjoy as we talk to filthy children and Watson continues to be bitchy for no good reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WKjoMm-Br0

Kangra
May 7, 2012

This is definitely a more interesting and better game than the Ripper (either 'Holmes vs Jack the' & plain 'The').

Among the crew of the ship there was Ned Land and Will Wright. Any other notable names?

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

gameplusmeagan posted:

New episode is up, and thank god, it's the last one with lovely audio. Enjoy as we talk to filthy children and Watson continues to be bitchy for no good reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WKjoMm-Br0

Not to paint a target on myself but I think being shot at is a kinda good reason.

gameplusmeagan
Apr 2, 2014

Shoeless posted:

Not to paint a target on myself but I think being shot at is a kinda good reason.

Pfff. Toughen up, buttercup, there's murders to be solved!

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
There are some nice touches in this game, like Holmes reading the casebook. It will show blurb artwork from a current or later case (which will appear in the casebook as you solve cases) and as you noticed, the colored tabs. Sometimes Holmes is reading Crime and Punishment. Also the view out of the carriage changes depending on where you're heading; a later case has a more rural setting and then you can see trees through the window.

Also you can change what Holmes is wearing - it's only specific plot-related outfits that are locked. So you can totally put him in a top hat and a different-colored suit if you'd like.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

gameplusmeagan posted:

Pfff. Toughen up, buttercup, there's murders to be solved!

I swear Holmes, sometimes you make me want to put my old army training to use! These hands have seen many a man split open like a pig, and what would one more be...

Oh my god you guys are right, it is Watson! :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I love how one of the books on Sherlock's shelf is "Early R'lyeh." :cthulhu:

• Locked thread