Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qP6oJGiX-Ds&t=6s

This is old but imagine running up a driveway at 140mph in an F1 car with no barriers or anything :eyepop:

F1 cars aren't allowed to make competitive runs up the course anymore because of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Tokyo Sexwhale posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qP6oJGiX-Ds&t=6s

This is old but imagine running up a driveway at 140mph in an F1 car with no barriers or anything :eyepop:

F1 cars aren't allowed to make competitive runs up the course anymore because of this.

if that's too fast then they are gonna ban protos and Pikes Peak cars too, because those are all in the low 40's as of this year

I'd rather be hit by an F1 car at those speeds than a loving tintop

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

if that's too fast then they are gonna ban protos and Pikes Peak cars too, because those are all in the low 40's as of this year

I'd rather be hit by an F1 car at those speeds than a loving tintop

F1 car still weighs 800 kilos, you're still dead.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
yeah but I don't want my last thought to be "jesus, I just killed another open cockpit driver, maybe now they'll close them up"

as I slip away into nothingness I realize my life was in vain and most likely another open cockpit driver gets hit in the face after we both die

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

IMSA is taking control of their race broadcasts and has gutted FOX's broadcast team. Bob Varsha, Justin Bell, and Jamie Howe are all gone. The on-air team following Daytona (which will have extra people for obvious reasons) will be Greg Creamer and Calvin Fish in the booth, with Brian Till on pit road.

Broadcasts may also be done remotely starting at Sebring, with only Till actually in person.

http://www.racer.com/more/viewpoints/item/124910-pruett-big-changes-ahead-for-imsa-tv?showall

What did Bob Varsha do in a previous life to not be allowed to leave for F1, not be able to moonlight on Barrett-Jackson, and now to be told he's been canned from IMSA?

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Varsha is pretty good, that sucks.

First major sanctioning body that figures out how to broadcast a package on a network while simultaneously streaming it via Youtube is gonna make a loving killing.

e- poo poo, how has USAC or the WoO not figured out that they'd make more money just by hiring a camera crew and just going internet only? I bet they'd get at least a hundred thousand live viewers on the tube

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Don't IMSA already stream all their poo poo or is that just an outside North America thing? I remember watching the PLM boat race on their site from the UK.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
They do stream it, but if it's on TV it's like in-car's and you have to run Radio Le Mans or some poo poo I think. I honestly forget, the last IMSA race I tried to watch on my PC was Sebring last year IIRC.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

njsykora posted:

Don't IMSA already stream all their poo poo or is that just an outside North America thing? I remember watching the PLM boat race on their site from the UK.

Yep, at least last year it was all streaming on web and their app. I think RLM's American crew had the call on the streams, and also mirrored it to their own site audio-only.

Pruett goes into details in the article but this 2016 set of changes seems like IMSA doing it for the sake of their manufacturers, as if to say "Fine, we'll try this your way". I bet they go streaming-centric sooner than later.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
MotoGP has a fairly good streaming service but IDK how their business is.

I want a NASCAR streaming service so I can finally throw all my DVDs out and watch all the old Cup races I want.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

WEC has paid live streaming along with live TV. And wasn't it a few years ago where ALMS was only live via WatchESPN?

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

CBJSprague24 posted:

What did Bob Varsha do in a previous life to not be allowed to leave for F1, not be able to moonlight on Barrett-Jackson, and now to be told he's been canned from IMSA?

Well he's doing Formula E and Moto GP according to him... which are welcoming back people and saying we're going to commercials. Also he says he's in for Le Mans but who knows.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

gret posted:

WEC has paid live streaming along with live TV. And wasn't it a few years ago where ALMS was only live via WatchESPN?

IMSA is now on Fox, but yeah, a final year of ALMS (2010 or 2011?) was mostly streaming on ESPN and it was weird.

WEC has live streaming on the app for a reasonable price but there's no loving race archives, so no way to watch the whole broadcast except live. So close but ugh.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

"Journey to Le Mans" is out on Netflix streaming.

quote:

Journey to Le Mans is a 2014 British documentary film directed by Charlotte Fantelli about British Privateer Team Jota Sport on their bid to win the 24 Hours of Le Mans in the LMP2 category in 2014

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

gret posted:

WEC's 24 Hours of Le Mans stream last year was excellent and I really hope more racing series' do something similar in the very near future.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Bob Dillner will cover Monster Jam for FS1 this season. I don't watch, but somebody night.

I don't know if Ken Stout or Greg Creamer were doing it before (they sound alike and both suck), but it's interesting to see Dillner back at FOX after he was calling races on the internet last year.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Bentai posted:

"Journey to Le Mans" is out on Netflix streaming.

I watched this, and while it's always great to watch racing footage and "behind the scenes" type stuff, it was pretty cheesy.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

CBJSprague24 posted:

Bob Dillner will cover Monster Jam for FS1 this season. I don't watch, but somebody night.

I don't know if Ken Stout or Greg Creamer were doing it before (they sound alike and both suck), but it's interesting to see Dillner back at FOX after he was calling races on the internet last year.

Scott Douglass (long time voice of Monster Jam that goes back to the late 80's) has been on the mic pretty much forever with a cavalcade of color analysts that pretty much all were the most bland as possible. Hopefully Dillner does well. Most the new trucks that are debuting in the MJ fleet this year are the now standard wacky looking 3d character with agricultural tires, but the Gas Monkey Garage generic 70's muscle car truck does at least look half decent by way it resembles an actual vehicle.

ColonelJohnMatrix fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jan 7, 2016

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
eh, gimme the days of square tube vans with Detroit Diesels

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

VikingSkull posted:

eh, gimme the days of square tube vans with Detroit Diesels

ok

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

GramCracker posted:

I watched this, and while it's always great to watch racing footage and "behind the scenes" type stuff, it was pretty cheesy.

Yeah, it didn't have a lot of urgency to it. Especially since the team wasn't going for the overall win, the movie felt more like a marketing exercise for them.

L_Harrison
May 22, 2007
Monster trucks have been unwatchable for 20 years, since they stopped being crazy lifted trucks and started being wrestling on wheels.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Red Bull Frozen Rush starts today. Pro4 trucks on ski slopes? :getin:

http://www.redbull.com/us/en/motorsports/offroad/events/1331752787390/frozen-rush-2016

Streaming starts at 11:30 eastern.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

yessssss

e- im the van on the van on the van

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy

VikingSkull posted:

yessssss

e- im the van on the van on the van

Why would they not paint an infinite series of smaller vans on vans? Seems like a missed opportunity.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Welcome to Prototype racing, Lance Stroll! 01 in the wall in testing. Damage doesn't look too too bad.

http://www.racer.com/imsa/item/125007-imsa-friday-roar-before-the-24-live-report

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

McMadCow posted:

Yeah, it didn't have a lot of urgency to it. Especially since the team wasn't going for the overall win, the movie felt more like a marketing exercise for them.

Exactly, a really poor marketing exercise and a personal movie for the owner so he can tout in the future, "Look what I did!!" :haw: (not to imply that placing first in class at LeMans isn't impressive)

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
Paydriver crash and a Corvette on fire already. It's gonna be a good Daytona this year.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

So this session the Mazda is currently leading. Who thought a year ago let alone a couple months ago Mazda would be up challenging. Helps to have a racing engine and not a mostly stock engine.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

BMB5150 posted:

So this session the Mazda is currently leading. Who thought a year ago let alone a couple months ago Mazda would be up challenging. Helps to have a racing engine and not a mostly stock engine.

It's been a whole day of weird poo poo, the Delta Wang came in third in one of the sessions!

E: And Ricky Taylor said "lol nope, gimme that lead"

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Mazda seems to be mostly concerned with getting the new AER engine bedded, too, and they haven't run a lot of laps. Will be cool to see them competitive.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Not super surprised, they've been testing the gas engine since last summer and the scuttlebutt is that it was a goddamn weapon. Hoping it means they're legit competitive, I have a soft spot for Mazda.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

It pretty much has to be the engine to be fair, the actual car qualifies for a free bus pass at this point.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Dudley posted:

It pretty much has to be the engine to be fair, the actual car qualifies for a free bus pass at this point.

Yeah but the field in IMSA is only so strong. It's a former LMP1 Lola versus a team that never sorted out their current-rules P2 last year in the US enduros (Patron ESM), a current-rules P2 with a gentleman driver (Shank) and a gaggle of DPs. While the DPs may be alright it's hardly the level P2 is at in ELMS or the WEC.

I bet they'll keep the motor and drop it into something new when the rules changes take over, probably the Riley/Multimatic chassis. This is a Mazda USA effort predominantly so they can take advantage of the IMSA rules. Hell, they probably were helping set that up themselves...(also reminder that other makes can drop GT3 engines into the new P2s in IMSA when the rules come online. That'll be a Bentley program sorted...)

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
a Bentley proto with the Bentley GT3 engine in it would make my dick hard

very hard

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

VikingSkull posted:

a Bentley proto with the Bentley GT3 engine in it would make my dick hard

very hard

It would be one of the nominated LMP2 chassis but it's been rumored to happen. Bentley wants a program in the US, but didn't bring the GT3 car into the IMSA GTD (GT3) class because it's not fighting for the overall win.

I guess that's the neat trick of these new rules for IMSA - allowing these cheaper prototypes (compared to old or current LMP1, though probably more expensive than DPs) to be the top class with a more open engine formula. Same chassis with the standard engine will be a secondary class in Europe and worldwide.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
Are the Duke Video Le Mans reviews any good?

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
gently caress Duke Video

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Hey check out what we can do now:
https://fat.gfycat.com/IncompletePleasedIndianrhinoceros.webm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

VikingSkull posted:

gently caress Duke Video

Yeah, Duke Video are absolute garbage-tier.

• Locked thread