Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Athanatos posted:

1. 2005 Steelers at Colts
Bettis fumbled and I yelled so much and then Ben got the tackle that saved the game winning touchdown I was still pretty pumped. Manning makes 2 loving great passes and thinking the Colts are taking some good momentum into OT WIDE RIGHT gently caress

2. 1995 Colts at Steelers
HAIL MARY NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. Poor Harbaugh

Then it's:
Patriots: 2004, 2003
San Diego: 2007, 2008
Steelers again: 1996

In conclusion, gently caress the Steelers and the Patriots.

Is San Diego 2008 the amazing Mike Scifres: Punting Assassin game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013
That and Darren Sproles scoring the game winning TD in overtime, yes.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

FooF posted:

Indianapolis Colts

Recent History:

1. Every playoff loss to the Patriots (especially the 2003 AFCCG but all of them really)
2. 2009 SB loss to Saints (but it was a good game)
3. 2005 Divisional Game to the Steelers (the ghost of Vanderjagt still haunts)
4. 2007 Divisional Game where we lost to Billy "loving" Volek
5. Every regular season loss to the Patriots

In short: gently caress the Patriots forever :(

The 1995 AFC Championship game was absolutely devastating to child me.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Bad Caller posted:

The 1995 AFC Championship game was absolutely devastating to child me.

This was loving killer because who ever was calling yelled "HE CAUGHT THE BALL THE COLTS WON" and it was so loving great and even as he stood up he had the ball in his hands. The refs were signaling no catch and it was so confusing and they showed a replay how it came out while sitting on his chest basically and it was such a high to so confused.

The Puppy Bowl posted:

We're not so different, you and I.

City of Baltimore bringing us together

Henchman of Santa posted:

Is San Diego 2008 the amazing Mike Scifres: Punting Assassin game?

LT was out and Rivers was hurt too and the Colts were going to make the AFC Championship and it was going to be great.

drat Volek and his QB sneak.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Intruder posted:

That was the worst day of my young life as a sports fan but for the purposes of this thread I only considered Texans losses

Hell with that, the Texans don't do tragedy like those guys did.

Without a doubt The Comeback is #1. After that, in no order:

- The Oilers leaving
- The Rosencopter Game
- The Colts releasing Manning, beating the Texans in Indy anyway, and drafting Andrew Luck anyway
- The Varsity Jacket Game
- Every time Al Del Greco shanked a game winner
- Losing 34-0 to the Raiders on Monday Night Football in 1972 when MNF truly mattered. Also generated this great one finger salute
- The Vinsanity Game
- The 2011 Ravens playoff game that got Jacoby Jones on Dancing with the Stars
- The 2013 Sunday Night game where Keenum came out and owned, Kubiak collapsed at halftime, and then the Texans did too
- Every time the Texans play on national TV for that matter
- John Elway putting together The Drive II in the 91 playoffs that everyone forgot about because of The Comeback two years later
- The 1979 AFC championship - A late TD catch that would have sent the Oilers to the Super Bowl was called back on what was claimed to be some NFL proprietary camera angles, it became one of the earliest arguments for instant replay

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Elephanthead posted:

Not valid without the 85 loss to Miami.

Also the Charles Martin bounty hunting game. I stayed away from the more historical examples because I wasn't alive to feel the soul crushing sense of loss in the moment.

Nadir
Apr 12, 2003

It's only up from here
As a Dolphins fan, Dan Marino's last game was one of the most depressing things I've ever seen.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Just wanted to add that while this was something off the field, this was huge in hindsight in terms of hurting the Jets:

I resign as hc of the NYJ.

Between that and the fake spike, that's why we're getting this Super Bowl matchup

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

King Hong Kong posted:

San Francisco 49ers

1. Super Bowl XLVII
I hate this profanity of a game. I refuse to even repeat the score.

There is no shame in losing to Joseph Vincent Flacco

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

New York Football Giants

Superbowl 35. Ugh. Getting that kick off return gave us hope. And immediately it was taken away.

Prozach
Oct 30, 2013

When God invented Lycra, he was thinking about Divas matches.
Another list for the Seahawks.

1. Super Bowl XL. Everything about this was bad. The Seahawks were bad, the Steelers were bad, the referees were bad, the Rolling Stones were bad, the entire game was bad. Just a lovely viewing experience.
2. "We want the ball and we're gonna score." Goddamnit Matt, I love you, but...goddamnit.
3. 2011 vs Browns. I still contend that this is the worst game of football ever played. Look at this "highlight reel".
4. 2006 vs Giants. Even though Seattle actually WON this game, Shaun Alexander's busted foot was the first sign that maybe the success of the previous year wasn't gonna be sustainable. It basically signaled the beginning of the end of the Holmgren/Hasselbeck/Alexander legacy before it could even get started. Just a gigantic downer and a symbol of what could have been.

I wasn't alive for the Bo Jackson game and I'm kinda struggling to think of another one. All things considered, I haven't really had too many outright depressing moments. Either the team has had decent sustained success like in the early to mid '00s and in the present, or they were expected to be bad and either met or exceeded expectations.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Athanatos posted:

This was loving killer because who ever was calling yelled "HE CAUGHT THE BALL THE COLTS WON" and it was so loving great and even as he stood up he had the ball in his hands. The refs were signaling no catch and it was so confusing and they showed a replay how it came out while sitting on his chest basically and it was such a high to so confused.

City of Baltimore bringing us together

LT was out and Rivers was hurt too and the Colts were going to make the AFC Championship and it was going to be great.

drat Volek and his QB sneak.

2007 was Billy Volek. 2008 was the Mike Scifres game.

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

I can be framed easier than Whistler's Mother

Good Will Hrunting posted:

I hate life right now but I like making lists, who wants to join me? Playoffs, non-playoffs, who cares!

Packers
5. Shootout vs. Arizona: OT facemask strip sack fumble bullshit
4. Losing to Denver in the Super Bowl: the only redeeming thing about this was Gunz which I don't even remember cause I was too young to appreciate those biceps
3. 4th and 26: there's a Wikipedia page named after it so you know it's pretty bad!
2. Today: I don't even know what happened
1. 2007 Favre game-ending pick: That might have been my favorite Packers team ever

Great list. I'd put yesterday at #3 or 4, but definitely agree on #1. I know the Patriots were 16-0 but just felt sure it was our year as we closed in on the playoffs. The only team I was worried about was Dallas. Obviously not that worried because lol let's get real we're talking about Dallas. So once they lost to the Giants I was already celebrating making the Super Bowl because no way does Eli Manning beat that Packers team. It was the worst because I was (and still remain) completely convinced that the Packers would have won that Super Bowl against the Patriots. Nothing will ever convince me we wouldn't have won that game.

But thank god that the Giants won it, because it allowed me to feel a little vindicated. I remember during those entire playoffs everyone thought I was an idiot for thinking Green Bay or anyone could beat the Patriots. Winning $300 as a poor college student betting on a straight-up Giants win in that Super Bowl helped ease the pain too.

Yesterday everything that happened was much worse than actually losing. It's ridiculous that even during the game I found myself wanting to at least give Matt Flynn a drive to see if he could make the short, easy, drive-extending throws that Rodgers kept misplacing, especially after Rodgers hurt himself on that one play. Surely I can't be the only one who was thinking that.

Mercaptopropyl fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jan 20, 2015

Lee Harvey Oswald
Mar 17, 2007

by exmarx
I would MUCH rather have lost like the Colts yesterday than the Packers. Lived through plenty of playoff blowouts before, but this one HURTS. And gently caress the 2007 NFC Championship too. Still like to think we made a sacrifice for the greater good in letting the Giants ruin the Pats season, but still that Favre interception...

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Chiefs: the 4-5 or 6 (I've lost count) times KC got bounced out of the playoffs by the Colts, going all the way back to Jim Harbaugh doing it as a QB

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

The Lions cutting Joey Harrington loose and then immediately losing a Thanksgiving game to him and the Dolphins after the PA guy taunted him during warmups was a good one.

He won MVP of that game too.

loving gently caress Matt Millen forever.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
Packers:
5. 2001 NFC Divisional Round: Rams 45, Packers 17 - It's not like I really thought the Packers would win this game, but for gently caress's sake. It probably wouldn't make the list of most Packer fans but this was the only NFL game I have ever actually attended in person, so the SIX loving interceptions in an absolute blowout was a huge bummer :smith:

4. I'm not gonna explain this, I'll just say one little phrase: 4th and 26.

3. 1995 NFC Championship: Cowboys 38, Packers 27 - The Pack defense just COULD NOT GET OFF THE loving FIELD in this game. The Cowboys had like 4 or 5 scoring drives of 80+ yards, kindly assisted by some of the most dogshit officiating I've ever seen, by - you guessed it - Ed Hochuli, back before he had the Guns. One of said drives put the Cowboys up by 4 late, but the Packers got back across midfield with time and welp, you know how this ends - a Favreception.

2. Super Bowl 32 - gently caress Elway and the Broncos forever, Amen.

1. 2009 NFC Wild-Card Round: Cardinals 51, Packers 45 - I don't get Real Mad about very many things in sports, or if I do, it lasts a few minutes at the most and it goes away. This is the exception - I'll never let this one go. In a season where helmet-to-helmet calls were really starting to be emphasized, Rodgers takes a clear one directly to the loving brain and there's no flag. That said, I'm not even mad that the Packers lost. I'm mad that this is the memory I'll always be stuck with when I should be remembering the REST of that loving game, which was one of the best god damned football games I've seen in my entire life. Kurt Warner's twilight and an up and coming Aaron Rodgers in the ultimate QB duel, because who the gently caress needs defense? GOD that poo poo was amazing... but it'll always be ruined for me because of a blown call that ended it right on the spot.

Yesterday is easily #6. Maybe even higher, but it's still too new for me to tell. It doesn't have ONE defining moment to me yet, like the headshot, the Elwaycopter, the Favre picks, or 4th and 26. There was 3rd And A Fuckload, the 2 point Hail Mary, the onside kick off Bostick's skull, Mason Crosby's career day in swirling wind, Richard Sherman's left arm, etc etc. I'm still having trouble processing this poo poo. I almost wish it was a blowout loss so that I didn't have so many ways to see how the stars repeatedly loving aligned to send the goddamn Seahawks to another Super Bowl.

Also, the 2007 NFCCG would probably be up there, but there's no way that team beats the Patriots. The Giants were a better matchup for them in every way possible and it still took a loving miracle. The 2001, 2010 and 2014 Packers were all better teams.

e: poo poo, actually, if it weren't made up for by winning the Super Bowl, I'd have 2010 Packers @ Patriots in there somewhere. Then again that one is just too loving weird. Say this to yourself: "Matt Flynn almost beat the Patriots in Foxboro, but then an offensive lineman ran back a kickoff 71 yards and blew the game wide open." If actual video proof of this poo poo didn't exist, people would be institutionalized for even suggesting it happened.

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jan 20, 2015

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

That Gary Anderson missed field goal was like a knife in the heart

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal
3) There's really too many to mention just over the last decade alone, so I'm not going to even going to attempt it.

2) Super Bowl 14. gently caress the steelers.

1) Super Bowl 36. I've seen that game winning field goal just once. I'll never watch it go through the goal posts again. gently caress the patriots.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Jets

1998 AFC Conference Championship v Broncos - Blew a 10 point 2nd half lead to lose the Jets' best chance at a Super Bowl I've seen.
Fake Spike - Self-explanatory. Added pain due to it being the first Jets game I ever saw in person.
1999 Week 1 v Patriots - Promising year coming off the AFCCG loss, one of the preseason favorites for the Super Bowl. Testaverde tears his Achilles 1 quarter into the season.
2011 AFC Conference Championship v Steelers - Supreme high after knocking off the Pats in Foxboro the week before. Jets stage a massive comeback from down 24-0 and had a chance to win the game if only they had another minute of playtime. Franchise has been downhill ever since.
2005 AFC Divisional Playoff v Steelers - Doug Brien misses 2 FGs including OT that would have won the game. Likely would have been stomped by the Pats in the next round though.

Serisothikos
Dec 4, 2004

Unlimited Pasta Pass

Alter Ego posted:

There's gotta be a couple more for that list. What about the 2006 AFC Championship Game? You know, where we were up like 21-6 and we ended up losing 38-34? Not only that, Brady threw a game-ending pick to seal it.

And that 1996 Super Bowl was pretty depressing for an 11-year-old me. Watching Brett Favre shred us and having Reggie White traumatize Patriots RT Max Lane so badly he ended up in therapy was pretty drat bad.

The two Brady Super Bowl losses wouldn't have been as depressing as they were if a) one of them hadn't come on the heels of 18-0, Jesus Christ, and b) both of them weren't against Eli loving Manning. Plus, we made David "I Am A Waste Of Perfectly Good Oxygen" Tyree famous.

As for the 1986 debacle, it's probably because I don't remember it that it doesn't bother me. I started watching the Pats right after they drafted Drew Bledsoe. My dad gets pretty bummed about it though--more so when I tell him we had a chance to draft Dan Marino a few years prior and failed to do so.

I think this is the first post I've made in TFF since the end of last season, but I couldn't let this thread go by without reminding people of:

The 1997-98 Divisional Round, vs. Pittsburgh - The Patriots lost this game 7-6 in excruciatingly boring fashion, letting Kordell Stewart score on a billion-yard run and only managing to scrape together two FGs as Drew Bledsoe morphed into Turnover Machine Drew Bledsoe, posting a 23/44, 2 INT, 2 fumble game, one year after the team's second Super Bowl appearance.

Serisothikos fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jan 20, 2015

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Bengals:

#5:
Bengals miss an extra point to miss overtime when they only need one win for playoffs. 2006

#4:
Losing to the Chargers last year when they were ranked higher in every metric.

#3:
THE loving STEELERS

#2 and 1:
gently caress you Joe.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

1998 was the best chance, but nobody was beating those Broncos that year.

I had a bad feeling in 2010 since they already beat the Steelers a month earlier in Pittsburgh. Just like how the Jets got curbstomped at Foxboro a month earlier before that playoff win.

Good thing we didn't include the 2009 title game, that would have been the outcome anyway had Caldwell not rest everybody a few weeks earlier.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

2009 was just house money but 1998 hurt. They held Elway to like 35% comp and just let TD run all over them. Meanwhile Curtis Martin did zero.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Fenrir posted:

Packers:
5. 2001 NFC Divisional Round: Rams 45, Packers 17 - It's not like I really thought the Packers would win this game, but for gently caress's sake. It probably wouldn't make the list of most Packer fans but this was the only NFL game I have ever actually attended in person, so the SIX loving interceptions in an absolute blowout was a huge bummer :smith:

4. I'm not gonna explain this, I'll just say one little phrase: 4th and 26.

3. 1995 NFC Championship: Cowboys 38, Packers 27 - The Pack defense just COULD NOT GET OFF THE loving FIELD in this game. The Cowboys had like 4 or 5 scoring drives of 80+ yards, kindly assisted by some of the most dogshit officiating I've ever seen, by - you guessed it - Ed Hochuli, back before he had the Guns. One of said drives put the Cowboys up by 4 late, but the Packers got back across midfield with time and welp, you know how this ends - a Favreception.

2. Super Bowl 32 - gently caress Elway and the Broncos forever, Amen.

1. 2009 NFC Wild-Card Round: Cardinals 51, Packers 45 - I don't get Real Mad about very many things in sports, or if I do, it lasts a few minutes at the most and it goes away. This is the exception - I'll never let this one go. In a season where helmet-to-helmet calls were really starting to be emphasized, Rodgers takes a clear one directly to the loving brain and there's no flag. That said, I'm not even mad that the Packers lost. I'm mad that this is the memory I'll always be stuck with when I should be remembering the REST of that loving game, which was one of the best god damned football games I've seen in my entire life. Kurt Warner's twilight and an up and coming Aaron Rodgers in the ultimate QB duel, because who the gently caress needs defense? GOD that poo poo was amazing... but it'll always be ruined for me because of a blown call that ended it right on the spot.

Yesterday is easily #6. Maybe even higher, but it's still too new for me to tell. It doesn't have ONE defining moment to me yet, like the headshot, the Elwaycopter, the Favre picks, or 4th and 26. There was 3rd And A Fuckload, the 2 point Hail Mary, the onside kick off Bostick's skull, Mason Crosby's career day in swirling wind, Richard Sherman's left arm, etc etc. I'm still having trouble processing this poo poo. I almost wish it was a blowout loss so that I didn't have so many ways to see how the stars repeatedly loving aligned to send the goddamn Seahawks to another Super Bowl.

Also, the 2007 NFCCG would probably be up there, but there's no way that team beats the Patriots. The Giants were a better matchup for them in every way possible and it still took a loving miracle. The 2001, 2010 and 2014 Packers were all better teams.

e: poo poo, actually, if it weren't made up for by winning the Super Bowl, I'd have 2010 Packers @ Patriots in there somewhere. Then again that one is just too loving weird. Say this to yourself: "Matt Flynn almost beat the Patriots in Foxboro, but then an offensive lineman ran back a kickoff 71 yards and blew the game wide open." If actual video proof of this poo poo didn't exist, people would be institutionalized for even suggesting it happened.

I'm still mad about #3. Dallas kept getting away with cheap shots and blatant facemasks and the Packers would get flagged for sneezing. You cant tell me there wasn't some ref bias there.

Also for me yesterday is #1. There were so many times we could have ended that game and we blew every last one of them. All we needed was just ONE play to go our way out of about six. Talk about making GBS threads the bed. It wasn't quite as painful as Game 6 of the 2003 NLCS for me, but it at least approached it. At least one of my teams has won a championship in my lifetime.

BigBallChunkyTime fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jan 20, 2015

Lee Harvey Oswald
Mar 17, 2007

by exmarx
Come to think of it, 4th and 26 may be worse than 2007. Still think that team would have won the Super Bowl had they made it past that game. The latter half of 2003 season Packers had that Eli Manning/Russell Wilson level of bullshit going for them.

BrownThunder
Oct 26, 2005

EXTEND BEN!
Forever and ever and ever

Pittsburgh Steelers

1. Tebow
2. Jaguars playoff game 2007. David loving Garrard scrambling for THIRTY TWO(!!!!) yards on 4th and short to seal the game.
3-5. Erased by #1

BrownThunder fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jan 20, 2015

YMB
Nov 8, 2009

in an unceremonious way

Lee Harvey Oswald posted:

Come to think of it, 4th and 26 may be worse than 2007. Still think that team would have won the Super Bowl had they made it past that game. The latter half of 2003 season Packers had that Eli Manning/Russell Wilson level of bullshit going for them.

And after that 4th and 26 play, one of your guys dropped an extremely easy interception in the end zone after McNabb went crazy trying to score a TD at the end of regulation. I can only imagine how loving infuriating that was. :smith:

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Neodoomium posted:

The Lions cutting Joey Harrington loose and then immediately losing a Thanksgiving game to him and the Dolphins after the PA guy taunted him during warmups was a good one.

He won MVP of that game too.

loving gently caress Matt Millen forever.

Also, Millen had the coaches call a timeout as soon as the game began, to encourage fans to boo Harrington more. Classy move.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

AsInHowe posted:

Also, Millen had the coaches call a timeout as soon as the game began, to encourage fans to boo Harrington more. Classy move.

Are you serious? Wow. I knew Millen was a gently caress tard but...drat.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I'm sure I could come up with a List,

That Packers NFCCG loss is probably 2 or 3.

But man This loss while relatively meaningless always hit me the hardest.

Kyle Orton was so goddamn happy :smith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmJRVcFrDmE

Edit: Ok, Just went down my dark rabbit hole.

1. See Above.

2. Bears/Panthers 2005-2006 Playoffs. loving DOUBLE COVER STEVE GODDAMN SMITH JESUS gently caress. JAKE DELHOMME GOD loving DAMNIT LET HIM BEAT YOU WITH SOMEONE ELSE(That game is probably the easiest to get back into my mindset while watching it, one of the few where it was outright anger rather than resigned disappointment and sadness)

3. Bears/Packers last year Where our defense watched Cobb run in a fumble, and Conte hosed up everything and blew the game.

4. Bears/Packers NFCCG in 2010(2011?) :( That was the last year to get our defensive players a ring and Cutler got hurt, and I had to deal with stupid people complaining about how Cutler wasn't playing when he couldn't plant and throw a loving pass.

5. Superbowl loss. I didn't expect the Bears to win, but man I allowed myself to believe after that Hester return. gently caress you Grossman(Just kidding I love you man, just not as much as Orton).

Dexo fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jan 20, 2015

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.
Tuck Rule
Immaculate Reception

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Lee Harvey Oswald posted:

Still like to think we made a sacrifice for the greater good in letting the Giants ruin the Pats season, but still that Favre interception...

fenrir said it too but just imagine, Favre doesn't throw that INT and the Patriots in all likelihood go 19-0. sports "what ifs" are the best kind

only temporary
Sep 3, 2006

Nit Wit Dog poo poo posted:

3) There's really too many to mention just over the last decade alone, so I'm not going to even going to attempt it.

2) Super Bowl 14. gently caress the steelers.

1) Super Bowl 36. I've seen that game winning field goal just once. I'll never watch it go through the goal posts again. gently caress the patriots.

I've never watched that kick again, either. Rams were supposed to win that game, and just thinking about it hurts me. The worst part is that on the day of the Super Bowl win we had a really big ice storm and I couldn't watch them win. Making that loss the only Rams Super Bowl I've ever seen live. I'll do a top 5 of the worst I was alive for, though.

5) 2011, Week 8, Rams at Cardinals. The Rams had only won 13 games since 2007 at this point, but had come off a big win over the Saints the week before. Rams go into Arizona and lose on a 99 yard punt return touchdown by Patrick Peterson in overtime. They would go on to their final win of the season the following week in Cleveland.

4) 2013, Week 4, 49ers at Rams. This is a personal one, as it was the first Rams game I was able to attend. The Rams end up losing 35-11, and probably shouldn't have even scored eleven points that game. They ran the ball 19 times for 18 yards and spawned this image.

3) 2010, Week 17, Rams at Seahawks. Rams are 7-8, Seahawks are 6-9. The Rams would make the playoffs for the first time in 2006 with a win. The Seahawks will make the playoffs with a sub-.500 record. Of course the Rams lose this game, not even gaining 200 yards of offense.

2) 1995, Week 8, 49ers at Rams. The first game against the 49ers after the team moved. 49ers come into St. Louis and beat the Rams 44-10. Ken Norton returns an interception for a touchdown and punches the goalpost. 49ers players are heard on the sideline calling them the "same old sorry-rear end Rams."

1) Super Bowl 36.

(There have been plenty of "worst losses" over the past 8 years: Rams/Pats in London, Rams/Hawks and Rams/Chargers losing both games on the 1 yard line, 1-15 in 2009.)

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

The Chicago Bears

These are all in the Lovie Era or later as I'm a youngin

I couldn't really think of a 5th that really bothered me so I pulled up some list of "the 10 toughest losses in Chicago Bears history" and found a story I really liked so I'll make that the honorary 5th worst loss.

5. 12/9/1934, Bears vs Giants (30-13)
The Sneakers Game, the 1934 NFL Championship Game

The Bears were 13-0 going into this game, compared to the Giants' 8-5. The night before, freezing rain had covered the field at Polo Grounds. The players slipped around the field for the first half, and ended with the Bears up 10-3. At halftime, End (Defensive and Offensive End) Ray Flaherty suggested to the Giants Head Coach that wearing sneakers rather than cleats would make moving around on the slick, icy field a lot easier. HC Steve Owen sent staff to the nearby Manhattan College to "borrow" the basketball team's sneakers. They laced up and headed out. After a slow 3rd quarter, the Giants outscored the Bears 27-0 and become league champions.

4. 10/12/2008, Bears vs Falcons (22-20)
Another seemingly typical low scoring, competitive game for the Bears. The Bears were down 19-10 with about 13 minutes to go, and led a long drive that ended with a Robbie Gould FG, making it a one score game. The Falcons slowly drove down themselves, and with 2:33 on the clock, Matt Elam hooked the midrange FG dagger, giving the Bears a shot at winning. The 2008 Bears were by no means a quick-moving offense, but they managed to lumber down the field and put together an 11 play drive that ended on a Rashied Davis TD catch with 17 seconds on the clock. The XP put the Bears up 20-19. With 11 seconds on the clock, the Bears chose to pooch the kickoff, but it bounced right into the hands of Harry Douglas, who caught the ball in stride at the 30, bringing the Falcons to about the 35. The Falcons offense then stepped onto the field, and Matt Ryan connected with Michael Jenkins on the sideline on the first pass of the drive, moving the Falcons across the field and setting up Jason Elam for a 48 yard kick with 1 second on the clock. He nails it, and the Bears lose.

This was such an incredible ending to a meaningless early-season game, yet it still haunts me.

3. 12/11/2011, Bears vs Broncos (13-10, OT)
Cutler had gotten hurt a week or two before, and Tebowmania was running wild. Forte was also hurt so Marion Barber would be starting. We all knew this game was going to be lovely to watch but good lord did it just suck the joy out of football. I watched the whole goddamned thing, too. 10-10 tie. Caleb Hanie had as many completions as Tebow did rushing attempts(12). Tebow was 21/40. Johhny Knox was the best player on the Bears offense. I've seen preseason games with better talent on the field.

The Broncos scored all 10 points in the 4th quarter, and had just scored their only TD as they lined up to onside. The Bears recovered with 50 seconds on the clock. The Bears were up 10-7 and inside the two minute warning, and Marion Barber ran out of bounds which saved Denver a TO, meaning that when the Bears inevitably gave the Broncos enough time to move down the field and set up a Matt Prater field goal after the inevitable 3 and out. Then, after winning the coin flip, as the Bears were moving into FG range, Marion Barber fumbles, allowing the Broncos to Tebow down the field and hit the game winning FG.

2. 2/4/2007, Bears vs Colts (29-17)
Super Bowl XLI.

I spent two weeks thinking the Bears were going to get picked apart, and seriously doubting Sexy Rexy. I thought I was wrong when Hester took back that opening kickoff. I felt woozy the rest of that game because I was yelling and jumping around so much. Then it turns out I was basically right. Bears kept it fairly competitive through the first half (thanks mostly to defensive turnovers) but got slowly choked out by the Peyton Manning Death March the second half.

Prince did the halftime show.

1. 1/23/2011, Bears vs Packers (21-14)
The NFCCG.

There are still dummies who cite this game when they try to call Cutler weak, or mopey, or a bad leader. The image of him standing on the sideline with Bitchy Resting Face, on his torn MCL, seemingly alone, will be stuck in my mind forever. I still blame the management for they way they handled the injury. Nobody was willing to talk about it, and the world jumped on him, assuming the worst. This was on the cusp of ESPN reporting about twitter all day, when citing Twitter profiles for players was a bit of a novelty, but the day after this game they were very diligent about pulling up a bunch of tweets from players who said things like "There's nothing that could have kept me from getting back in that game". It was sort of an anomaly, as the timing of the game meant that people were not as aware of how easily their word could spread, and how instantly opinions could be formed. We found out the next day that the decision to sit Cutler was Lovie's, and that he had torn (sprained? partial tear?) his MCL. One day later but nobody seems to remember that.

For as bad as the legacy from this game is, the actual game was as much of a disaster as you could ask for. The Bears were scoreless through the first half as the defense fought bitterly to drag the offense into scoring position. The Cutler hit happened, Caleb Hanie drove and scored on a clearly checked-out Packers defense, then proceeded to throw the ball right into B.J. Raji's hands, ensuring that he would get a contract to do a State Farm commercial and suddenly become relevant for a moment.

Start Hanie.

GNU Order fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jan 21, 2015

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

13 year old girls posted:

fenrir said it too but just imagine, Favre doesn't throw that INT and the Patriots in all likelihood go 19-0. sports "what ifs" are the best kind

I would have paid that price to finally loving silence all the '72 Dolphins horse poo poo. But nope, we got Magic Eli Bullshit instead :sigh:

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

Fenrir posted:

I would have paid that price to finally loving silence all the '72 Dolphins horse poo poo. But nope, we got Magic Eli Bullshit instead :sigh:

At least you don't live in New York. :shepicide: The Bronx, specifically. I got piss drunk and went to a bar, which ended fine because people just made fun of me instead of fighting and I cried myself to sleep.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Good Will Hrunting posted:

At least you don't live in New York :shepicide:

YES. I DO. For several years now :shepicide:

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

GNU Order posted:

The Chicago Bears

3. 12/11/2011, Bears vs Broncos (13-10, OT)
Cutler had gotten hurt a week or two before, and Tebowmania was running wild. Forte was also hurt so Marion Barber would be starting. We all knew this game was going to be lovely to watch but good lord did it just suck the joy out of football. I watched the whole goddamned thing, too. 10-10 tie. Caleb Hanie had as many completions as Tebow did rushing attempts(12). Tebow was 21/40. Johhny Knox was the best player on the Bears offense. I've seen preseason games with better talent on the field.

The Broncos scored all 10 points in the 4th quarter, and had just scored their only TD as they lined up to onside. The Bears recovered with 50 seconds on the clock. The Bears were up 10-7 and inside the two minute warning, and Marion Barber ran out of bounds which saved Denver a TO, meaning that when the Bears inevitably gave the Broncos enough time to move down the field and set up a Matt Prater field goal after the inevitable 3 and out. Then, after winning the coin flip, as the Bears were moving into FG range, Marion Barber fumbles, allowing the Broncos to Tebow down the field and hit the game winning FG.

Fuuuuuuuck, I had managed to remove this game from my memory. gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes

13 year old girls posted:

Combine that with the Pats somehow holding off the Colts in 06' and beating a very beatable Bears team in the Superbowl and I'm pretty sure Belichick would have fallen back into a restless slumber on his throne of human skulls in R'leyh, dreaming.

• Locked thread