Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

More reapers, less psycho please. Thats the direction i wanted them to go since oh, 3 cds ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic
I'll reserve a final judgement on Reapers until I've heard the studio version, but at least it doesn't seem to be as loving boring as Psycho.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!

Fat Turkey posted:

I agree (to a point) with the lyrics issue, and I think it does tie into the same military/facist rebellion stance they are pushing [...] But Muse wheel around on tours telling us about THEM AGAINST US and FIGHT and DRONES as rich people who don't actively go any further to make a difference. OK, so maybe they don't actually mean it and it's all tongue in cheek. I could live with that, if the music made up for the disingenuous lyrics.

It's not that it's hypocritical, it's that it's dumb. Nothing of Muse could remotely be called protest music or even political. It wears the aesthetic of protest music like a kid playing dress-up.

The enemy in Muse's music is invariably "they": they will not oppose us, they will not control us, will they find our hiding place? Who the gently caress are you talking about? In Nineteen Eighty-Four (which The Resistance directly references in its mention of thought police) the state is constantly at war, but the enemy is never defined and might not even exist at all. The citizens are kept in a constant state of anger and hate and confusion, so they can be controlled. Muse's music uses exactly the same trick to create exciting rock music, but I don't think they realise the irony of this, and how crass it makes their music.

Of course, stadium concerts were always fascist rallies. Roger Waters of Pink Floyd realised this and wrote an entire album about it. In "In the Flesh", Nazi-like banners fall from the ceiling and the singer in the band, a sort of psuedo-Roger, marches out and machine-guns the audience:

quote:

Are there any queers in the theater tonight?
Get them up against the wall!
There's one in the spotlight, he don't look right to me,
Get him up against the wall!
That one looks Jewish!
And that one's a coon!
Who let all of this riff-raff into the room?
There's one smoking a joint,
And another with spots!
If I had my way
I'd have all of you shot!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfqCKUfW0K0

It's still cheesy as gently caress, but at least it knows what the gently caress it's doing, at least it has a point - and in 1979, it was a major risk, a challenging and sort of frightening album.

quote:

with a middle 8 which used to contain good solos, but now is just the main riff repeated like he's forgotten the words to a secret verse.

Correctamundo! Nothing exemplifies the drop in Muse's songwriting better than the tragic death of the great Muse bridge. That's when they used to drop some new element that built on what we'd already come to and make perfect sense of it.

EXAMPLE poo poo MUSE BRIDGES:

Supermassive Black Hole - verse again, with vague synth thing on top
Knights of Cydonia (OK, this one's an outro): riff again, with vague synth thing on top (compare that to the clever ascending solo he played in the Abbey Road performance)
Undisclosed Desires: verse again, vague synth and "ooh" on top
Survival - play a riff, then as it ramps up, play the riff again but a bit higher on the fretboard
Psycho - play a riff

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Popcorn posted:

Of course, stadium concerts were always fascist rallies. Roger Waters of Pink Floyd realised this and wrote an entire album about it. In "In the Flesh", Nazi-like banners fall from the ceiling and the singer in the band, a sort of psuedo-Roger, marches out and machine-guns the audience:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfqCKUfW0K0

It's still cheesy as gently caress, but at least it knows what the gently caress it's doing, at least it has a point - and in 1979, it was a major risk, a challenging and sort of frightening album.

oh it still had its' moments in 2010-2013. During Run Like Hell for instance, I was enjoying the hell out of myself, then had to stop and say "wait, *should* I be enjoying this?". Right about 5:32 here, that happened.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32hhxWbRm1M

Relevant since Muse was trying to do their own copy of The Wall 2010-2013's staging during the 2nd Law tour :v:

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Popcorn posted:

Nothing exemplifies the drop in Muse's songwriting better than the tragic death of the great Muse bridge.

I've found that to be the surest sign of a band losing its touch, generally. The bridges are almost always the first thing to suffer. I suppose that's because the best use for a bridge is to temporarily deviate from what the rest of the song is doing, and sticking to an easy songwriting formula is diametrically opposed to that.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Popcorn posted:

Survival - play a riff, then as it ramps up, play the riff again but a bit higher on the fretboard

I actually really like Survival and the bridge solo bit. Its also their nadir as far as lyrics go though. The Olympics performance was fun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1Jfk8j63a0

It sounds like it wants to be a Queen song except the difference between campiness and a full on joke is that camp has to be sincere on some level. However silly whatever Freddie Mercury was singing he sounded like he meant it, wheas a lyric like "vengeance is mine" has to be taking the piss.

The whole of 2nd law sounds like they were having a lot of fun in the studio but that was because they'd given up on sincerity totally.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Mar 17, 2015

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

Also the arpeggio has been missing. They've done so many good ones and when done right it gives them their sound.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Paperback Writer posted:

Also the arpeggio has been missing. They've done so many good ones and when done right it gives them their sound.

I didn't realize this was what I was missing, but this is it!

Passion for Dilbert
Dec 5, 2007

Paperback Writer posted:

The first 15 seconds of Bliss. :allears:

Also, I hate everything about 'Psycho'. The guitar bends accompanied by "Fuckin Psycho' just completely rub me the wrong way.

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

All I can think listening to Psycho's riff is Load era Metallica.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

every single song on Load is better than Psycho though.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
Psycho is really bad. The guitar squeals, the yelling in the background. Everytime they release a new album you have to wonder how many tin foil hats they are wearing.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Soft Shell Crab posted:

All I can think listening to Psycho's riff is Load era Metallica.

It seems like it was written around that time.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Seeing them tonight :dance:

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

massive spider posted:

I actually really like Survival and the bridge solo bit. Its also their nadir as far as lyrics go though. The Olympics performance was fun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1Jfk8j63a0

At 1:15 in that performance, the guitar riff enters. And that's fine, that's one idea. It loops around a few times. Sure, OK. Idea established, we get the picture, let's move on. Then around 1:41 it quickly ascends up the scale - suggesting the beginning of a new idea. Except the next idea is just to repeat almost the same riff but further up the fretboard. That's it.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
gently caress all you negative bastards the new songs both own. Such a good gig, even got a Futurism runout

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
That was a goddamn amazing setlist. Wish I could have gone :(

They did Assassins -> Grand Omega Bosses outro -> Stockholm Syndrome -> Micro Cuts outro, all with barely a pause for breath.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
I was just at the back of the pit for most of the gig and it got pretty busy for that combo :3:

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Argh, Manchester got Dead Star, The Groove and Fury all in one show tonight!!

We must all hope that the post-album tour has setlists this amazing. :smith:

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

Not fair. I'm sure America will get Guiding Light , Save Me, and Undisclosed Desires instead.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Monday is Dead Inside premiere day! :toot:

Apparently the first play will be on Radio 1 in the UK at 7pm. Chris Wolstenholme will be on air to introduce it.

edit: If you're in Australia like me, listen to JJJ breakfast show from 6am. They'll have the new song and an interview with Matt!

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Mar 23, 2015

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
Sorry if it goes without saying, but presumably that's when the programme starts. It won't be played till like 8 15 I expect. I'll check YouTube at 9.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I dunno, I reckon every radio station will be making GBS threads themselves to be the first to play it once the embargo lifts.

Add to that the fact that stations like Triple J in Aus and BBC Radio 1 are non commercial. It means that they don't play ads, which means they have no reason to draw out song reveals in order to keep listeners hanging on longer.

Anyway, it's now 4:45am and I woke up in anticipation and can't go back to sleep. Bring on Dead Inside :toot:

Admoon
Oct 29, 2009

Dead Inside is currently playing on BBC Radio 1 but here's the official lyrics video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTcJWhmdzpg

E: I think I should mention it's NSFW for naked lady

Admoon fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Mar 23, 2015

Teensie King
Sep 8, 2011

He kinda looks like a horse doesn't he?
It's...special, not immediately awesome like a good opener needs to be, pales in comparison to stuff like Supremacy, New Born and Uprising.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Eh, it's fine. Reminds me a lot of undisclosed desires

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

I hated it at first, but the last 2 minutes or so works really well somehow.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Undisclosed Desires had a baby with Panic Station!

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife

Matt Bellamy posted:

“This is where the story of the album begins, where the protagonist loses hope and becomes ‘Dead Inside’, therefore vulnerable to the dark forces introduced in ‘Psycho’ and which ensue over the next few songs on the album, before eventually defecting, revolting and overcoming these dark forces later in the story.”
http://consequenceofsound.net/2015/03/muse-premieres-new-single-dead-inside-listen/

Admoon
Oct 29, 2009

Hedrigall posted:

Undisclosed Desires had a baby with Panic Station!

I pretty much feel the same way about this song as I do Undisclosed Desires. It's alright... but nothing amazing. I do really like the "You're DEAD INSIDE" bit.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Also apparently "The globalist" is a "10 minute prog epic" citizen erased part 2

so now its going to either be completely amazing and what everyone wanted on the last 3 albums or utterly, utterly disappointing

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

Some really good parts, some bad parts. When it started I was like :wtf: is this Phil Collins?

I like how Matt sings this one

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

G-Hawk posted:

I hated it at first, but the last 2 minutes or so works really well somehow.

I didn't HATE the first two minutes but I get where you're coming from. I was ready to dismiss this as another boring chorus-less dirge, but I think they manage to turn it around in the second half. I already like it more than Psycho, let's see if it manages to creep into "good" territory.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Relatively speaking it's a lot better than Psycho, but it kinda doesn't know what it wants to be. The lyrics still scream breakup.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

It's so much better from the bridge onward. It's the first part of the new album we've heard (Psycho, Reapers) that I actually liked.

edit: really looking forward to the instrumental version of this album

the truth fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Mar 23, 2015

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

That's the best new Depeche Mode song in years.

I also ruined Reapers for the wife today by pointing out how easily Madonna's "Express Yourself" could be sung to the chorus

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Now THIS, I like. But I'm only cautiously optimistic, since everything else I've heard about the album suggests that this is just the token electropop song.

I honestly wish they'd go completely in this direction, since there's little chance the "classic Muse" will ever come back. Not that it necessarily needs to at this point.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Both the song and video are a Bond theme. One of the 80s ones with Timothy Dalton. Dance into the fire!

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

I just want them to bring Citizen Erased back into the live setlist, and hopefully they get hit in the head with rocks and develop amnesia that is specific for Assassin. gently caress that song.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

the truth posted:

gently caress that song.

You're crazy, Assassin is great, especially the Grand Omega Bosses edit.

Considering The Globalist is a "10 minute prog nightmare" "sequel to Citizen Erased", chances are good we'll get CE itself on the upcoming tour too.

• Locked thread