Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Well drones certainly is a reference to a Thing Thats Current I guess.

I wonder how muse feels about that thing. Maybe good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Fat Turkey posted:

Trying to put my finger on what modern Muse singles or whatever it is that I don't like. With this and Uprising and Survival, am I alone in finding in particular what I dislike seems to be these slow, repetitive marches that keep a relatively slow tempo and seem there as stadium crowd pleasers/sing along but aren't actually that interesting to just to on their own.

That was what struck me the last time I saw them live, the rhythm was stuck at midtempo march for most of the set.

quote:

An ongoing fetishising of militaristic imagery so vague it ends up more fascist than the things it ostensibly protests. As one YouTube comment puts it: "When he sings "They will not control us", I do not know what he is talking about."

I think it says something that Glenn Beck is apparantly a big Muse fan.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Popcorn posted:

Survival - play a riff, then as it ramps up, play the riff again but a bit higher on the fretboard

I actually really like Survival and the bridge solo bit. Its also their nadir as far as lyrics go though. The Olympics performance was fun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1Jfk8j63a0

It sounds like it wants to be a Queen song except the difference between campiness and a full on joke is that camp has to be sincere on some level. However silly whatever Freddie Mercury was singing he sounded like he meant it, wheas a lyric like "vengeance is mine" has to be taking the piss.

The whole of 2nd law sounds like they were having a lot of fun in the studio but that was because they'd given up on sincerity totally.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Mar 17, 2015

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

henpod posted:

Once someone pointed out the 'UAAAUH' intake before each line in the earlier stuff, I have never been able to unhear it.

I've heard that when a producer suggested taking them out they decided on leaving them in because it "adds urgency"

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I just realised that on top of the hook being totally RATMs bombtrack the outro is "freedom...yeah right..."

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Revolt sounds like The Darkness could play it with minimal changes.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Muse are apparently one of Glenn Becks favourite bands which says a lot about the level of political nuance they're operating at.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Literally The Worst posted:

This album is super loving boring. I don't even really like Muse and I keep trying to give them a shot and I couldn't even be like "man this album sucks" because that would require me to have an actual emotional response to it and not just yawn. That's my story about this album which is boring.

If you want to give muse a shot you should listen to origin of symmettry and absolution and if you dont like that give up on it because its all downhill from there.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

the truth posted:

For what it's worth, I don't think MotP is some grand experimental track - it's pop. It was featured prominently in the opening of the London Olympics. It sounds cool, but Matt hardly has to do anything when they play it live.

I wouldn't want an entire album of Space Dementia nonsense. I'm glad that we got as many solid songs out of this album as we did. I like it a lot overall and love some individual songs, but it has a weak ending.

I'd disagree there, MoP is pop in that its a 4 minute track with obvious hooks yeah, but stylstically its quite unique, in the sense that I couldn't picture another rock band doing anything like it.

Its true that live Matt barely has to do anything, but thats because it leans so heavily on instrumentation other than guitar riffs. Its experimenting in the context that its a rock band pushing their style in another direction rather than "experimental" in the sense of being a 7+ minute song without verse chorus verse structure.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Popcorn posted:

and Map of the Problematique, despite being awesome, is basically Depeche Mode.

Ooh thats a good catch actually. I could see a Depeche Mode song in Muse style or vice versa.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I see at least three vocal mics on stage, did matt and dom just switch between them interchangeably?

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Popcorn posted:

The song, musically, is wonderfully fun, and therefore grossly inappropriate for such a weighty lyrical theme. It's in bad taste, and it's embarrassing.

Interesting observation because its a rage ripoff in at least two sections (KILLED BY DRONES= bombtrack, outro = Freedom) and RATM obviously had no problem with heavy political subject matter.

At the same time though RATM had a swagger to them that earned the bombast, like "the system is hosed but this is a song to be hype and angry and throw poo poo at cop cars to" so they are pretty "fun" in that respect. It doesen't work when the lyric is about how hosed and helpless the singer/victim is.

Muse turn into pseudo-politics in general has never felt authentic to me and always just kinda like they were running out of appropriately intense things to sing about once they outgrew teenage angst.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Mar 31, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Also radiohead are another obvious ripoff point for muse but they too probably could have done a sick rear end track about drone warfare.

• Locked thread