Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
well why not
Feb 10, 2009

That train goes all the way to Citizen Erased.

I like 'Drones' just fine, but comparing it to their older records makes me a bit sad. The older lyrical style (OoS - Black Holes) was just less ... silly.

The Resistance onwards just seems to be very literal and direct. It's one thing to write about lofty, 'high minded' global issues and interpersonal trauma, but stuff like "I'll be your commander-in-chief" is just so blunt it feels comedic.

It feels like all the poetry has leaked out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

AlexF posted:

Mercy is so cheesy that it comes back around being awesome, especially live. You can just pump your fist into air to the "Show me MEEEEEERCY" and that's all you really need. I hope it pushes Starlight out of the setlist forever. That is one dull song.

I mean, I wish that old stuff would push out most of the newer stuff, but I'd be happy if at least Starlight gets the axe. But people like to clap along so let's keep that sucker forever...

I figure as it used to be a show closer, it'll probably be sticking around for a long time. It apparently edges out Knights Of Cydonia for live performances. Unless LP8 has more hits than say, BH&R or Absolution, we'll be hearing Starlight for a lot, lot longer.

Speak of setlists, it really sucks that stuff like MK Ultra or Space Dementia is left by the wayside. It's exciting that they crop up now & again for shows, but I think it's a little sad that we all probably have old personal classics that won't show up very often.

That being said, Black Holes & Revelations is 10 years old in July. I really hope that they record whatever they do, if they do anything at all.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Hedrigall posted:

Setlist from Montreaux, Switzerland, July 2nd:

Psycho (w/ Drill Sergeant)
Agitated
Hyper Music
Plug In Baby
Fury
Butterflies And Hurricanes
The Groove
Assassin