Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

I just want more Absolution honestly, but that will never happen. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Paperback Writer posted:

Also the arpeggio has been missing. They've done so many good ones and when done right it gives them their sound.

I didn't realize this was what I was missing, but this is it!

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Volkerball posted:

I can get what you're saying. But look at it this way. With some luck, if you aren't big into Muse, you won't have heard this song, so you can get the vibe I'm talking about that I hope to get from new Muse songs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZfJ7Vs0o4I

There's no other band on earth who can write something like this and pull it off. Just complete off the wall nonsense that somehow works and owns. People have been saying Drones is Muse going "back to their roots," but it's really not, unless you mean their roots in the sense of when they were like 12 years old. Hell, their first album had showbiz, sober, cave, and muscle museum, which were all extremely unorthodox songs that were really good. And they never really deviated from that. Every album has experimental, complex songs that upon your first listen, you're just like "what the gently caress was that, that was awesome." From BHaR you've got Map of the Problematique, Hoodoo, and Assassin. From Origin of Symmetry you have Space Dementia, Micro Cuts, and Feeling Good. Absolution had Butterflies and Hurricanes, Sing for Absolution, and Apocalypse Please. All these songs are unlike anything else you'd hear from any other band, and only fit into this broad category of uniqueness that is Muse. So when you think of Muse having that identity, you go into a new album hoping/expecting to hear songs that you think are awesome immediately, but you can't quite comprehend why because you don't even know what you just listened to. So you listen to it a few times over and develop an appreciation for how good the songs are, and why, before arriving at the conclusion that it's insane that somehow someones brain actually created it. Most of the songs on Drones are really straight-forward and predictable, and you get sort of bored with them before they are even finished playing the first time. It's just not them. If it was the first album from a new band that I was hearing for the first time, I'd probably be in your shoes, but as it is, it just feels like a letdown.

I want to just empty quote this forever because it articulated exactly my feelings about old Muse and this newest album.

• Locked thread