Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Anyone else think this new album is really disappointing? I haven't listened to every track yet, but the top singles seem really garage bandy. I can appreciate wanting to go to a more guitar/bass/drums oriented theme, but even when they were doing that perfectly in songs like Stockholm Syndrome and Plug In Baby, they still had that unique vibe that made the song that much more in depth and interesting. That added layer of complexity. You'd always find something new every time you listened to it that gave you an extra sense of how well put together every track was. This one is just super lazy in that regard. Hell, Psycho is just some riff that they used to play as an outro for Stockholm Syndrome in live shows almost a decade ago, and they recycled it and turned it into a song. That's a good analogy for every song I've heard so far. Really bumming me out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Haven't heard any song that scratches the itch like Survival does, although that's far and away the best track on the second law and the resistance combined. And Unsustainable had a really awesome composition even if the dubstep angle was a bit :wtc:. Hopefully this new one will grow on me. There's a few tracks I think I'll probably get to like, but so many of them are just super basic. And while the lyrics have always been pretty poo poo, this album took cues from uprising and really just shoves how terrible they are right in your face so you can't not see them.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I can get what you're saying. But look at it this way. With some luck, if you aren't big into Muse, you won't have heard this song, so you can get the vibe I'm talking about that I hope to get from new Muse songs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZfJ7Vs0o4I

There's no other band on earth who can write something like this and pull it off. Just complete off the wall nonsense that somehow works and owns. People have been saying Drones is Muse going "back to their roots," but it's really not, unless you mean their roots in the sense of when they were like 12 years old. Hell, their first album had showbiz, sober, cave, and muscle museum, which were all extremely unorthodox songs that were really good. And they never really deviated from that. Every album has experimental, complex songs that upon your first listen, you're just like "what the gently caress was that, that was awesome." From BHaR you've got Map of the Problematique, Hoodoo, and Assassin. From Origin of Symmetry you have Space Dementia, Micro Cuts, and Feeling Good. Absolution had Butterflies and Hurricanes, Sing for Absolution, and Apocalypse Please. All these songs are unlike anything else you'd hear from any other band, and only fit into this broad category of uniqueness that is Muse. So when you think of Muse having that identity, you go into a new album hoping/expecting to hear songs that you think are awesome immediately, but you can't quite comprehend why because you don't even know what you just listened to. So you listen to it a few times over and develop an appreciation for how good the songs are, and why, before arriving at the conclusion that it's insane that somehow someones brain actually created it. Most of the songs on Drones are really straight-forward and predictable, and you get sort of bored with them before they are even finished playing the first time. It's just not them. If it was the first album from a new band that I was hearing for the first time, I'd probably be in your shoes, but as it is, it just feels like a letdown.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
It's ideologically correct to like panic station imo.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

AlexF posted:

Yeah, that's not the problem. I'm sure there will be one somewhere on the floor but there's like a poo poo ton more ground to cover and look for. What if I'm on the complete opposite side of where the action is taking place? I wouldn't even know and will be trapped between all the people that just want to clap along to Starlight like the last time (they played Survival as closer and people actually starting leaving the venue during the rock out part at the end because it was...too heavy I guess?).

The part with the pyro? :dogbutton:

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
They never play dead star anywhere and that's dumb. :colbert:

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Unsustainable is the best opener but they never do it. Knights of Cydonia is a good one too.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
They really didn't play plug in baby? Lmao.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
lol why are they so ashamed of him?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Which would be fine if they could still play the good songs right, but they haven't been able to do that for a while. So you get a setlist that's mostly bad songs and even the good ones are underwhelming if you're familiar with what the band used to sound like. Matts voice is broke. :(

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
The lyrics and the singing in general have gotten a lot worse. He's got no edge to his voice anymore. If you listen to stuff from hullabaloo, Matt's sound is just so much more intense and good. Now he can only sing in a really soft and generic way. Combine that with the poo poo lyrics and it's gotten really grating.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
SMBH is still right up there with the worst songs they've ever made. The album as a whole was hit or miss, but there were still a ton of good songs on it. Exo-politics, map of the problematique, knights of cydonia, city of delusion, not to mention, assassin, hoodoo, take a bow. All good to great songs. Compare that to the resistance where it was like uh, I like uprising I guess.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Paperback Writer posted:

The 2nd half of the album though..

:dogbutton:

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Popcorn posted:

City of Delusion is a truly, truly bad name for a song.

it is but it's one of their best songs when it comes to mixing in orchestra elements, which was a lot of the identity of BHaR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Popcorn posted:

Was it? Only City of Delusion and Hoodoo have orchestral components, from memory.

Those and then Knights of Cydonia has a really cool trumpet part in it. In Soldiers poem, the guitar part sounds almost like a harp, and they use brushes on the snare drum. And the intro to Assassin has a really saxophoney sound to it. BHaR had a lot of little elements like that they stuck to in certain songs and didn't touch at all in others, so there were all sorts of different identities you could pick out as you listened to the album more and more. There were a handful of songs that had Ennio Morricone style Western elements in them. Plus a few songs like Take a Bow, Map of the Problematique, and Supermassive Black Hole that just had their own distinct epic synth style. Then they tossed in exo-politics for one of their best garage band style songs they've ever made, just for good measure. It might be my favorite album of theirs.

• Locked thread