Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Those track titles are embarrassingly awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Slate Action posted:

Why would I want to hear those drill sergeant samples every time I listen to that song? Oh, that's right, I don't.

'Progressive' bands love to do this. Don't put lengthy vocal bits in your songs! Listenability is infinitely more important than your 'concept.'

Exception: Us and Them (even if it isn't all that lengthy really)

This song is abysmal.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Relatively speaking it's a lot better than Psycho, but it kinda doesn't know what it wants to be. The lyrics still scream breakup.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

It's almost certainly the best thing of what's come out so far, albeit there wasn't a particularly high bar set. It sounds much more like Absolution/Black Holes.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

It's leaked.

Immediate reactions: JFK just kind of exists. Defector is really bad and is the most Queen-ish ripoff they've done to date; Revolt is revolting; Aftermath isn't awful but it's pretty boring and too much of a stark change in tone from the prior track. The Globalist starts off slow and the whole western thing is kinda boring. It goes into this initial bit of lyrics and as I'm halfway through I feel like the song just meanders around and wastes a lot of time -- like, for being a spiritual sequel to Citizen Erased, at least CE had a point to it. The Globalist is only really a "sequel" in that it gets pretty loud in the middle and then has that drop off into a slower ending, but the ending just sounds a bit like United States of Eurasia, Queen-climax poo poo I guess? It's hilariously underwhelming and in retrospect after it ends the western part is completely pointless. Drones itself is okay; perhaps even good, really, but I don't have much to say beyond that.

Great job, I guess.

triple sulk fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jun 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

NETVERK posted:

So I just listened to this album and it's really the worst album in Muse's career and one of the worst albums I've ever listened to.

The thing is, I want to like it. Dead Inside is legitimately catchy and there are numerous other tracks on the album which almost hark back to their second album. The problem is, the lyrics are so insufferably pretentious. The Globalist may be a sequel to Citizen Erased, but it's loving awful compared to that song because at least Citizen Erased seemed to have a degree of sincerity in it somewhere. The lyrics steep everything in this cloying, preachy 'WAKE UP SHEEPLE' tone which makes the entire album painful to listen to.

Revolt is so, so bad.

Ugh.

I've given it a full listen or two in the last couple days and the conclusion I've come to as of right now is that I feel that it's a great bad album. It's kind of like the Plan 9 of albums.

The Handler is objectively a good song and I want to go so far as to say that on subsequent listens that Aftermath is pretty good too, if only because of the Pink Floydish stuff going on at the beginning. But when you take into account that Drones is supposed to be a concept album/rock opera, it feels like there are about 3-4 missing tracks to further flesh out what's going on. Making albums like that is one thing, but doing them well is another. I'm still really confused about how Dead Inside leads into Psycho aside from making up some story of "a teenage guy gets dumped and then goes into the military because he's sad." Drill Sergeant as a standalone track is pointless and should have just been put into the Psycho track like how it was in the video, if I'm remembering right.

I'm not the first to say this but the issue likely is that the first few Muse albums had its lyrics covered up by good music so that they were pretty much harmless. Mercy is a lovely Starlight replacement because of the lyrical content (never mind that it's just not as good musically). I think The Globalist would have just been better broken up into 3-4 separate tracks, even if it wouldn't have fixed how disjointed some of the jumps are in musical style.

I dunno what else to say right now.

• Locked thread