Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

Dead inside proper video is up:

https://youtu.be/I5sJhSNUkwQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

hemophilia posted:

The 2nd law is the biggest stinker they have, I think.

True for the next couple of weeks at least.

The problem I have with their recent material is:

1) There is no subtlety to any of the lyrics, they just tell a very simple and un-nuanced story. Songs like plug in baby were basically nonsense lyrics but strangely better for it. Others like take a bow or apocalypse please were political but at least felt a little more subtle. Their don't seem to have an emotional connection in the same way as before - I can't think of a recent comparison to 'unintended' or 'absolution'.

2) They have mostly ditched the classic bass guitar driven arpeggiated guitar + synth sound and now sound like U2 mixed with Queen.

So, basically, the words and the music.

I will still see them live though and the most recent time (2nd law tour) was probably the most enjoyable of the 6-7 times I've seen them live).

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

Sir Lemming posted:

Personally I feel they've reached the point of diminishing returns with their "classic sound" -- that was The Resistance.

Nah, I want songs that sound like the first half of OOS. The only songs on The Resistance that I'd put in that category is MK Ultra and maybe Unnatural Selection. I do like the more instrumental stuff too, like Exogenesis.

Uprising and Resistance are tolerable live but the musical sound is too polished and produced on the album and the lyric structures are too simplistic. Those 2 songs are pretty much when Muse started going downhill for me.

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

I empathise with everything popcorn said. I like Animals and the instrumentals from the 2nd Law and that's about it. I listened to Absolution on the way home from work today and I like every single song, still.

The reason I still follow the thread is that Muse are overall one of the all time bands I've enjoyed the most and I am still excited about seeing them live. The whole thing is a bit like watching Bob Dylan live these days, it's a bit rubbish but still interesting and it doesn't diminish what they did before.

I am a bit disappointed that Drones sounds a bit duff though, as, recorded off the back of a couple of poorly received albums and a breakup, it had the potential to be Muse's 'Blood on the Tracks', but doesn't sound like it is.

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

Yeah the words are just a bit too embarrassing to sing along to.

I watched this straight after that lyric video:

https://youtu.be/A1Ajxkws0Og

Cool they were playing the 'Psycho' riff 11 years ago - I know it's been discussed already but hadn't heard it since listening to Psycho. Wonder if that means Stockholm Syndrome is a guaranteed song in all their upcoming live shows? . ( from 5m 40s).

I quite like the comment to that video, 'this is about the time Muse realised they were the best band in the world and just started loving around'.

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

Popcorn posted:

JONES.

KILLED. BY. JONES.

Disgraced UFC light heavyweight champion Jon 'Bones' Jones should make it his walk out music.

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

Definitely best of the new ones so far. I've not heard The Globalist, dare I get excited for that?

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

Psycho sounds very similar to Uprising to me. The riff, the plodding tempo, the asinine lyrics, it's got it all!

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

It goes on a bit but doesn't need words I don't think.

Would sound better if they thrashed the instruments and made it sound a bit more glitchy / energetic. Could be a good live song.

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

Yeah it's a bit like how they talked about unsustainability on the last one while travelling round and round the globe on a world tour with a crew of 50+ people. Their carbon footprint must be epic.

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

All of those songs are better than any song on Jones, apart from possibly Reapers and The Handler.

They played Ruled By Secrecy at one of the Wembley gigs for the Resistance tour a few years back and it was awesome, pretty much 90,000 people standing in silence listening.

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

That is a pretty crowd pleasing set list! Can't wait for the arena tour!

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

I wonder if anyone has ever been at a Muse gig listening to Citizen Erased, Micro Cuts or Dead Star and thought 'you know this is too metal, I wish they'd play madness or guiding light'?

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

Maybe in America but they've been a massive stadium band in Europe since at least Absolution.

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

European tour, first leg of world tour announced. Starts April next year. Sounds like they will have a round stage this time and be in the middle of the stadium.

I don't think much of their recent albums but will still definitely get tickets. Thought the tour for the last album was excellent.

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

Ticket prices also seem around 50% more than last time, for the London shows at least.

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

the truth posted:

If I don't get to hear Citizen Erased I will get a refund :argh:

This - especially if they replace it with one of the duff new ones. It's one of their best songs FFS!

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

Yeah the last stadium tour was actually really good I thought. Less hyped for this one though.

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

I saw them last week in London. It was still good. The 'in the round' stage is a good idea and the overall production is very high quality.

They released a bunch of standing tickets close to the event so i sold my seated ones and got standing. This was a good idea as even at the back you are really close. Plus it was super easy to get to the front. I moved forwards for the encore and ended up 1 row back from the barrier which is something that would have been impossible any other time I've seen them.

We got butterflies and hurricanes, plug in baby, Stockholm syndrome, take a bow, a bunch of new ones, nothing from showbiz. Biggest unexpected audience pop of the night was for Mercy (!?) which goes to show that many of the fans must actually prefer the new material.

I don't like their new albums much but will probably see them next time they come round as well.

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

I wonder if it's been on an advert or TV show or something?

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

For me BHAR was where they nailed the arpeggiated synth and bass driven songs to the next level, with take a bow, map and cydonia.

Its also where the pomposity and overblown 'rock epic' problems of their albums since started to creep in.

Was there something that happened around that time that triggered this? Did selling 80k tickets at Wembley stadium on back to back nights push them over the edge?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

They seem to do a show like that every few years now. Wasn't there one a bit ago when they played only bsides and rarities in Japan?

Anyone know why they did it? I would travel to see a gig like that...

• Locked thread