Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
2nd Law was hot garbage and I wasn't excited for it at all but well on board for this sucka

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Paperback Writer posted:

I'm a poor 25 year old working hourly but god dammit I'm pretty sure I'm going to make it to a European stadium next time. Got to be Wembley right?

If you can! Personally I prefer them in arenas

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Paperback Writer posted:

I've seen them in arenas in America but the stadium production/setlists are on another level and probably a once in a lifetime chance for a fanboy like me. And I want an insane crowd!

They always give their most for Wembley too :3:

HJB posted:

I gave up on Muse after The Resistance, didn't even realise they put out another album after that. Judging by this thread I guess it was more of the same.

It was less symphonic and more straight-up pop. Oh, and they discovered dubstep...

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Hedrigall posted:

Biggest slice of the new single we've heard yet:

https://instagram.com/p/z--_HynXX9/?modal=true

THAT MOTHERFUCKING RIFF :h: :h: :swoon: :h: :h:

Also Matt tweeted that the single is going to be released sometime this week!

I loving love 0305030 Jam and I could not be happier it's finally getting into a proper song :swoon:

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Hedrigall posted:

If Monty Jam is also turned into a song my life will be complete.

Helsinki Jam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1myPbikAYk

E: Which you mentioned earlier in this thread :doh:

mfcrocker fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Mar 9, 2015

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

quote:

Finally, Muse have confirmed plans for a full UK tour. Tickets go on sale at 9.30am tomorrow (March 12th) – dates are as follows:

March
15 Belfast Ulster Hall
16 Glasgow Barrowlands
19 Newport Centre
20 Exeter Great Hall
22 Manchester Academy
23 Brighton Dome

Album out mid-June

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Paperback Writer posted:

Sigh... It's probably going to be an album full of Animals' and MK Ultra's which aren't anywhere near their best rock songs.

It's probably going to be full of Agitateds and Execution Summarys :v:

Hopefully I'll find out next Thursday :dance:

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Teensie King posted:

I recall that riff from some jam on the HAARP album.

It's 0305030 riff, they've been using it for 15 years and finally bothered making it into a song.

This is going to be a monster live, the studio mix feels like it could be a bit punchier

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

hemophilia posted:

The music video is really done dirty by those drill sergeant samples, I'm hoping in vain that's not in the final mix.

It will be.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Paperback Writer posted:

No, the worst part is that's an entirely seperate song.

but Mr Drill Sergeant isn't on the album version of Psycho! (going by Spotify)

Oh thank christ

E: we listening to the same track? Only drill sergeant removed is the intro one

mfcrocker fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Mar 13, 2015

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Sir Lemming posted:

Honestly, '80s hair metal is a good look for them so I don't really have anything against this. See also "Guiding Light" for their monster ballad.

Guiding Light was hot garbage, this one seems really good and reminds me at times of the odd thing off OoS

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Seeing them tonight :dance:

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
gently caress all you negative bastards the new songs both own. Such a good gig, even got a Futurism runout

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
I was just at the back of the pit for most of the gig and it got pretty busy for that combo :3:

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Eh, it's fine. Reminds me a lot of undisclosed desires

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Mercy's pretty wank, feels like it belongs on 2nd Law

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Sure, it's a decent track. I don't like it quite as much as Psycho or Reapers but it's definitely a good listen; just lacks the edge those tracks have.

That said, the opening riff is a good'un

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Popcorn posted:

Joooooones. Kiiiiilled by Joooones. By Joooones

HERE COMES THE JOOOOONES

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Had my first listen and overall it's a pretty good album. A big step up from The 2nd Law and probably of at least The Resistance quality; some of the early tracks will easily stand up in their catalogue, whereas there's a couple of poo poo ones towards the end. Quite like Absolution in that regard.

Might do a track by track in a bit.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Hedrigall posted:

Uh I think you'll find Absolution has no bad songs :colbert:

Fat Turkey posted:

Correction to the correction the only bad song on Absolution is Ruled By Secrecy. It's so dull.

Yeah because everyone is clamouring to hear Thoughts of a Dying Atheist at their next Muse gig :colbert:

TbT (ignoring lyrics because they're just universally poo poo):

Dead Inside: A decent opener. I think I'm in the minority where I prefer the first half of this song, not the second.
Drill Sergeant/Psycho: I think I'm starting to like the intro, which just doesn't seem right at all. It gets me excited for the song to follow. I will basically never not adore the 0305030 riff.
Mercy: Originally I thought this was another Guiding Light. It's not quite that bad, but it's really bloody bland.
Reapers: JONES. An absolute stonker. I love the arpeggio tapping, the verse and chorus are both very Showbiz and it rips off the best RatM riff.
The Handler: I'm looking forward to hearing this in my car as the Spotify version seems a bit muted. I can foresee having a good stomp to this at my next gig.
JFK/Defector: I'm always a bit worried by Muse's happier songs but this is surprisingly good and heavy. It's like a tighter version of Survival and I grew to really like that song so this should be a winner going forward.
Revolt: A big long wet fart. With this title and in this place in the album this needed to be the heaviest song on the album; maybe something like Liquid State? Instead we got this, the true Guiding Light of the album. Worst Muse song ever may be a bit strong but it's in the conversation.
Aftermath: Eh? It's definitely what you want before the next track's big finale and at times sounds really good; I get a lot of Gilmour-era Floyd from the intro guitar especially. However, it just falls a bit flat with the singing.
The Globalist: I love it and wish it was the actual final track. The final movement (the piano bit) is a bit weaker than the rest of the track but I think it holds together well. It's a shame about...
Drones: which is loving ridiculous. Oh well.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Sir Lemming posted:

Muse could've done a cover of "Let It Go" from Frozen and stuck it in this same spot on the album and it honestly might've been an improvement. (Still can't decide whether or not I want to hear this now.)

Everyone in this thread wants this immediately

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Fat Turkey posted:

I'm not saying they can do Queen better than Queen.

I am :colbert:

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Hedrigall posted:

Revolt is actually the "I've got soul but I'm not a soldier" part of that one Killers song, mixed with Weezer.

And it's good.

Unlike Defector :colbert:

This is correct until you said it was good :colbert:

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Sir Lemming posted:

This is absolutely true, even though it's secretly a dubstep song.

Sure, but it's not from the skrillex school like Unsustainable

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
No Music Discussion > Muse - LP7: Secret PITR Hangout

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Ha, before Plug in Baby his guitar sounds like Sweep :3:

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

the truth posted:

It's a shame The Globalist was such a letdown. If they had gone out with a properly huge song then it would have made the album more memorable. They do the same riff for almost two minutes, add some bass and drums, then cut it off right after they start to build it into something big. Then we get a tired retread of the end of USOE/CD and Explorers.

Yeah, this is a big shame. The lead guitar kicks in and it's all building and oh whoops now it's piano sorry :smith:

Still, chalk me up for another who is perfectly happy with this album. Couple of duff tracks but generally a good listen.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
I guess I'm most disappointed by the Drones at the start. That song is daft as gently caress and Muse have had some cracking openers (especially We Are the Universe)

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

the truth posted:

People actually like The Globalist?

Paperback Writer posted:

I really enjoy it until the instrumental jam fades into that aimless final part.

The instrumental jam is absolutely excellent and it's a horrible shame that the crescendo ends in a wet fart

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Yeah, the Psycho tour was loving great. We got Futurism of all things.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

GTO posted:

I saw them last week in London. It was still good. The 'in the round' stage is a good idea and the overall production is very high quality.

They released a bunch of standing tickets close to the event so i sold my seated ones and got standing. This was a good idea as even at the back you are really close. Plus it was super easy to get to the front. I moved forwards for the encore and ended up 1 row back from the barrier which is something that would have been impossible any other time I've seen them.

We got butterflies and hurricanes, plug in baby, Stockholm syndrome, take a bow, a bunch of new ones, nothing from showbiz. Biggest unexpected audience pop of the night was for Mercy (!?) which goes to show that many of the fans must actually prefer the new material.

I don't like their new albums much but will probably see them next time they come round as well.

Yeah, when I saw them in London I wondered what the hell the pop for Mercy was about. That song's loving dull.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Hedrigall posted:

Setlist from Montreaux, Switzerland, July 2nd:

Psycho (w/ Drill Sergeant)
Agitated
Hyper Music
Plug In Baby
Fury