Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
To be fair, the most pompously named album is the best one!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
You speak as if Kate Hudson was having an uplifting effect on Muse's creative output. Its a shame for both of them though. Imagine having Snake Plisken as your father-in-law.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
Oh. Ah. Sorry.

DRONES.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
The riff is nice on its own, but I feel like it loses something on being played on repeat through the whole song without much change other than a key change I think.

Trying to put my finger on what modern Muse singles or whatever it is that I don't like. With this and Uprising and Survival, am I alone in finding in particular what I dislike seems to be these slow, repetitive marches that keep a relatively slow tempo and seem there as stadium crowd pleasers/sing along but aren't actually that interesting to just to on their own.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
I agree (to a point) with the lyrics issue, and I think it does tie into the same military/facist rebellion stance they are pushing. OoS has generally nonsense lyrics, Absolution has ‘legible’ lyrics but played to a general end-of-the-world/desperate times theme, and BHaR is where some political stuff comes in (Take a Bow, Soldier’s Poem, Assassin, Exo-Politics), but the music is generally still good enough to make it fun. The only one of that shortlist there that I skip is Assassin, but then again, I wouldn’t put any of those amongst BHaR best songs.

The military thing is an irritation and an odd source of inspiration. Maybe if Muse actually got behind political messages like Russell Brand does (not saying what he does is good or bad or publicity or whatever, but at least goes on marches and regularly posts about topics in detail, not generic soundbites). As irritating as Chris Martin or his music may be, I don’t doubt he tries to make some change and a difference. But Muse wheel around on tours telling us about THEM AGAINST US and FIGHT and DRONES as rich people who don’t actively go any further to make a difference. OK, so maybe they don’t actually mean it and it’s all tongue in cheek. I could live with that, if the music made up for the disingenuous lyrics.

I actually don’t mind some of their forages into electronic, and while initially I was a bit surprised at the dislike of orchestral, on second thought I realise I agree with you because I separate classical from that. I like Exogenesis and keeping classical music in there, but then I think of the use of an orchestra in the intro to Survival and agree it is the Hollywood schmaltz you described. So more Rachmaninov and Bach and less cliché strings. I actually don’t mind the two final tracks from the 2nd Law (I sometimes use them to run to), but they’re not if you strip them as an experiment and strip Chris’ songs because they are absolutely awful, there’s not enough solid songs to back some experimentation gone bad. I think had they been tagged onto a longer, better album they would have been more acceptable.

And I’m all over you with the lack of structure for their ideas, and somewhat with the risk-averse approach (which is a bit unfair when they have TRIED to break away and experiment with electronic and funk and stuff, its just that it didn’t work). When they seemed to want to make a ‘standard’ Muse song, that’s where the risk aversion comes in, and there seems to be a focus on ‘will this work in a stadium’, medium tempo marches (I said slow before but correcting to medium) with a middle 8 which used to contain good solos, but now is just the main riff repeated like he’s forgotten the words to a secret verse.

Not going to think too much about Reapers until I hear the studio version. I’ve happily seen Muse live twice (HAARP and Resistance) but the recent albums put me off doing so again and so I’ll largely be listening to them on headphones, so I want to know what that’s like.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
Sorry if it goes without saying, but presumably that's when the programme starts. It won't be played till like 8 15 I expect. I'll check YouTube at 9.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
I was listening to Absolution, noticed something and listened to the two new songs again. I double checked The Resistance and 2nd Law and I think I can reveal Muse have made their biggest musical diversion with their new record.

Either Matt has developed a new breathing technique or the producer has muted his 'quick but noisy breath before the next line' that screams out to me on all their early albums. I felt breathless on his behalf, poor sod.

This is like when Dylan went electric.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
Reading that section as a whole it sounds like he is joking around as that is the thing he has to say.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
To call Defector as sounding like Queen is pretty lazy. Like they have some overbearing claim to any high pitched vocals and thunky guitar anthem. Muse have done enough songs in that particular style that its their own thing. And pretty much any band in recent times by their 7th album is into some derivatives, I dont think Muse would be any worse offenders beyond the obvious drop since BHaR.

Do I like it? I've fine with the sentiment, and its OK as an album track. Its only fair to compare it with the like on Absolution and BHaR, so how does it compare to Soldiers Poem and TSP. Those I liked more on subsequent listens. I just wish they'd stuck with generic and less cringy lyrics.

If there's one good thing this album has done, it has brought Soaked to my attention. I never heard it before.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
I was thinking of this today when I divided to give Defector another listen.

So Muse have been singing about fighting the system for at least 3 albums now, and although The Resistance was kinda ficticious, Drones and in particular including a JFK quote brings it closer to home. And the content of that quote is chilling, when you think about it and what happens to Kennedy. So its kind of serious matter and could go into a political song. And what do Muse produce.

Free. Yes I'm free. You can't brainwash me. You've got a problem. He also says how they're losing power, somehow, as if he is doing something about them.

How weal and wishy washy. For someone who is so transfixed on having this rebellious conspiracy political content to songs, they dont actually say anything. If Muse are so worried about drones, with their global platform, what do they do? Write awful lyrics and address nothing.

I could deal with the lyrics if I felt they believed them or acted on them. But its just nothing.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
Correction to the correction the only bad song on Absolution is Ruled By Secrecy. It's so dull.

There is one moment in Matt's life I think we can all be jealous of. At one point, his in-theory father-in-law was Snake Plisskin. Maybe Snake likes tambourines

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
Well, put that as evidence as to the strength of Absolution, it had solid songs all around the rockier numbers towards the end may not be as definitive as Stockholm or Hysteria, but that's unfair to compare them to the absolute cream of the crop, they still out perform these later album rock tracks. They have actual guitar solos that aren't just a repetition of the verse! And they pump me up for football or running like no other. I also love Falling Away With You. It fits into the cheesier end of the Muse sound, but they uses to do it so well that the song was still great.

Why fixate on calling it Jones (which is a pretty weak swipe) when I'm still confused why they had their JFK voice pronounce covert as 'covet', like a word that means something else.

Its like he throws in a deliberate mispronunciation in all the new albums. He mispronounces 'Reponds' in I Belong To You, which is in French admittedly, but he covers the song so he should know what it should sound like). I'm sure I spotted one in 2L too but I can't place it ATM.

Fat Turkey fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jun 8, 2015

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!

the truth posted:

Pretty sure that is a real recording of JFK. Sorry his Boston accent doesn't live up to your expectations.

Oh wow, yes, a quick YouTube finds the speech and does seem to be the same. Its kinda funny and there must be a term for it, but I've heard so many impressions of Kennedy that when I hear his actual voice, without the exaggerations, I didn't recognise it as him.

But he still says the word 'covet' not covert, and its not just missing the R, the words have different stresses. But that's on Johnny K not Matty B.

Only heard snippets of the album. Revolt sounds bad, Aftermath sounds like it had potential, only heard first minute or two of Globalist and that was pretty nice.

Waiting till I hear it on proper headphones before I fully comment though.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
Take a Bow, Soldiers Poem and Exo-Politics (maybe Assassin) show Muse could write good enough songs of a political nature. Not the great Muse songs, but songs I wouldn't skip and would happily hear.

Probably because they didn't turn it into a stripped down us and them narrative, and went into a bit of detail. But even then Take a Bow seems like the same formula. The lyrics just aren't so cringeworthy, or maybe they are but the music covered it up.

I thing I hate the most I think is the songs that have a steady, slow, marching beat like Uprising, Psycho and Revolt.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
Nope, it's nice. Probably too much barbershop, but the song is about 2 minutes long so it doesn't outstay its welcome. Its a decent diversion.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
I've a feeling the newness of a Muse album is giving this album extra credit it will lose in time. Over time in will be interchangeable quality wise with The Resistance and T2L.

You know what I'd love, since the inspiration is clearly there. For Muse to record/ perform an entire album cover of Queen Live at Wembley, with whatever Muse twist they want to put on it. That would blow my mind.

I'm not saying they can do Queen better than Queen. I just think it would be balls to the wall bombastic.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
I got around to the final three songs.

Aftermath, eh, it's catchy. I actually remember it later. Doesn't really have a pay off though.

The Globalist, I do love that Morricone intro. I dont know what the rest of it is about though. It like they fundamentally forgot what made Citizen Erased so good.

Drones…thank god none of you spoiled that for me.
Muse end their album on a Gregorian chant? I actually laughed heartily through that, its like the punishment for getting through the album.

I think even Resistance tops this. The Exogenesis Symphony might be the sole reason, but its got some tracks I still listen to today. In hindsight, USE (and the interlude), Unnatural Selection, MK Ultra and the Symphony are more preferable to me than all of that album save Handler.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
This would obviously differ substantially for everyone but I present The Second Resistance Drone

1. Supremacy
2. Madness
3. United States of Eurasia + CD
4. Animals
5. Unnatural Selection
6. MK Ultra
7. Dead Inside
8. Soaked
9. The Handler
10-12. Exogenesis

Rule was 12 songs from the last three albums, but Soaked gets in because why not. I've no real idea about track order except it has to end on Exogenesis and 2-5 flow kinda well.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
You could make a similarish comment about the last album.

Your name rings a bell. Did I uses to play poker with you?

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!

AlexF posted:

I also don't like that they are offering VIP packages. That is some Katy Perry level of ripping of your fans. Fo shame, Muse. Fo shame...

When I went to the pre-Resistance Wembley shows, they had a sectioned off VIP section at the front. I don't know if that's what you mean but I always hated that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
Considering Muse would sell out concerts pretty much irrespective of what they put out, I'm pretty sure they're happy with their new stuff if they are trotting it out instead of playing their old stuff.

Noone wants to believe their peak is behind them.

• Locked thread