Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

not everything in life is sweet or salty or sour. some things are bitter. many people will go to extraordinary lengths to avoid bitterness.

but with beer, you choose bitterness. you drink it. you conquer it. that's power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

who fucks with beer you gotta drink way too much of it to even get a good buzz

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Feranon posted:

who fucks with beer you gotta drink way too much of it to even get a good buzz

you wait and chug it on and empty stomach.

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

Start the day with a shower beer and ride the wave of Prime BAC right into the Seinfeld reruns you fall asleep to on Mom's couch.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO

johnny sack posted:

Learn to like IPA. Never go back.

lol

this loving noob

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

only children like ipas

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

BossRighteous posted:

Start the day with a shower beer and ride the wave of Prime BAC right into the Seinfeld reruns you fall asleep to on Mom's couch.

This was in ironically my goal today if you factor in a case of beer to let the cats play in as I pass out wherever.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Lol beer nerds. I love it when somebody tells me they're into microbrews, it's such a unique and mint exciting 'hobby', please tell me more about you rationalising your alcoholism.

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

BossRighteous posted:

Natty light is the only beer I know of that is void of all after taste. This is an important factor for me. It's become my baseline flavor profile.

I thought that was what the appeal of PBR was supposed to be. Like all of the American adjunct lager piss beers have additives to create some semblance of a flavor but PBR just says gently caress it and sells their flavorless corn syrup/rice beer as-is.

Business Octopus
Jun 27, 2005

Me IRL
Hurr let's get drunk off beers.

*3 hours and 16 beers later, is still able to stand up with minimal wobbling and form sentences*

Learn to drink like real men and chug bottom shelf whiskey until you black out and are too uncoordinated to beat you're family properly.

Jack-in-the-Bach
Oct 15, 2005

I'm a man, and men drink steel reserve.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

i love telling americans that their beer sucks bad and have them flip out and start ranting about small brews and regional beers and all this poo poo hahahahah

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Business Octopus posted:

Hurr let's get drunk off beers.

*3 hours and 16 beers later, is still able to stand up with minimal wobbling and form sentences*

Learn to drink like real men and chug bottom shelf whiskey until you black out and are too uncoordinated to beat you're family properly.

What kind of weak rear end beer are you drinking?

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Fonzarelli posted:

i love telling americans that their beer sucks bad and have them flip out and start ranting about small brews and regional beers and all this poo poo hahahahah

Same.

Also it's funny how the whole country seems to have just found out about beers in the last 5 years.

Also it's funny how they can't buy it until they're 21.

Also it's funny how they can't handle their booze at all.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Wizzle-Wazzle posted:

I'm a man, and men drink steel reserve.

This is true

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhYBxQMm--0

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
I mainly only like IPAs because I like the bitterness of grapefruit juice but then I feel bad because you guys hate them and might think I'm a hipster.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

opus111 posted:

Same.

Also it's funny how the whole country seems to have just found out about beers in the last 5 years.

Also it's funny how they can't buy it until they're 21.

Also it's funny how they can't handle their booze at all.

laws changed so small companies could make beer legally

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Does anybody else try to drink a whole case to them self every once in a while?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

TOILETLORD posted:

Carter wasn't completely useless:
http://www.synthesis.cc/2010/03/micro-brewing-the-bioeconomy-beer-as-an-example-of-distributed-biological-manufacturing.html

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
^^^ Hey alright! I guess I don't have Alzheimers yet!

TOILETLORD posted:

Well, when you have three manufacturers of beer in the USA, major markets only, that could literally crush the life out of any start up, anywhere, at any time. Something has to give or we go back to standard oil

Little hazy on this next part, because it's been awhile since I looked this up.

It was one of the majors that started the move to a more diverse market.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

VendaGoat posted:

Well, when you have three manufacturers of beer in the USA, major markets only, that could literally crush the life out of any start up, anywhere, at any time. Something has to give or we go back to standard oil

Little hazy on this next part, because it's been awhile since I looked this up.

It was one of the majors that started the move to a more diverse market.

bud wizer started with that orange beer wheat things

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi
There is a problem, though. The value-through-what-is-consumed is entirely illusory. There is no there there. This is what you can really learn about a person by understanding his or her cultural consumption, the movies, music, fashion, media, and assorted other socially inflected ephemera: nothing. Absolutely nothing. The internet writ large is desperately invested in the idea that liking, say, The Wire, says something of depth and importance about the liker, and certainly that the preference for this show to CSI tells everything.

Likewise, the internet exists to perpetuate the idea that there is some meaningful difference between fans of this band or that, of Android or Apple, or that there is a Slate lifestyle and a This Recording lifestyle and one for Gawker or The Hairpin or wherever. Not a word of it is true. There are no Apple people. Buying an iPad does nothing to delineate you from anyone else. Nothing separates a Budweiser man from a microbrew guy. That our society insists that there are differences here is only our longest con.

This endless posturing, pregnant with anxiety and roiling with class resentment, ultimately pleases no one. Yet this emptiness doesn’t compel people to turn away from the sorting mechanism. Instead, it draws them further and further in. Faced with the failure of their cultural affinities to define an authentic and fulfilling self, postcollegiate middle-class upwardly-oriented-if-not-upwardly-mobile Americans double down on the importance of these affinities and confront the continued failure with a formless resentment. The bitterness that surrounds these distinctions is a product of their inability to actually make us distinct.

The savviest of the media and culture websites tap into this resentment as directly as they dare. They write endlessly about what is overrated. They assign specific and damning personality traits to the fan bases of unworthy cultural objects. They invite comments that tediously parse microscopic distinctions in cultural consumption. They engage in criticism as a kind of preemptive strike against those who actually create. They glamorize pettiness in aesthetic taste. The few artistic works they lionize are praised to the point of absurdity, as various acolytes try to outdo each other in hyperbole. They relentlessly push the central narrative that their readers crave, that consumption is achievement and that creators are to be distrusted and “put in their place.” They deny the frequently sad but inescapable reality that consumption is not creation and that only the genuinely creative act can reveal the self.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

Ocean Book posted:

There is a problem, though. The value-through-what-is-consumed is entirely illusory. There is no there there. This is what you can really learn about a person by understanding his or her cultural consumption, the movies, music, fashion, media, and assorted other socially inflected ephemera: nothing. Absolutely nothing. The internet writ large is desperately invested in the idea that liking, say, The Wire, says something of depth and importance about the liker, and certainly that the preference for this show to CSI tells everything.

Likewise, the internet exists to perpetuate the idea that there is some meaningful difference between fans of this band or that, of Android or Apple, or that there is a Slate lifestyle and a This Recording lifestyle and one for Gawker or The Hairpin or wherever. Not a word of it is true. There are no Apple people. Buying an iPad does nothing to delineate you from anyone else. Nothing separates a Budweiser man from a microbrew guy. That our society insists that there are differences here is only our longest con.

This endless posturing, pregnant with anxiety and roiling with class resentment, ultimately pleases no one. Yet this emptiness doesn’t compel people to turn away from the sorting mechanism. Instead, it draws them further and further in. Faced with the failure of their cultural affinities to define an authentic and fulfilling self, postcollegiate middle-class upwardly-oriented-if-not-upwardly-mobile Americans double down on the importance of these affinities and confront the continued failure with a formless resentment. The bitterness that surrounds these distinctions is a product of their inability to actually make us distinct.

The savviest of the media and culture websites tap into this resentment as directly as they dare. They write endlessly about what is overrated. They assign specific and damning personality traits to the fan bases of unworthy cultural objects. They invite comments that tediously parse microscopic distinctions in cultural consumption. They engage in criticism as a kind of preemptive strike against those who actually create. They glamorize pettiness in aesthetic taste. The few artistic works they lionize are praised to the point of absurdity, as various acolytes try to outdo each other in hyperbole. They relentlessly push the central narrative that their readers crave, that consumption is achievement and that creators are to be distrusted and “put in their place.” They deny the frequently sad but inescapable reality that consumption is not creation and that only the genuinely creative act can reveal the self.

@ whomever you c/p'd this from: lol if you thin kthe resentment is a result and a response to this behavior instead of its root cause

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Lot of words for, "people use knowledge to gain advantage over others."

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

also like that's something new in the world

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

VendaGoat posted:

Lot of words for, "people use knowledge to gain advantage over others."

well it's not only that, it's addressing a certain malaise which is really more universal, although its specific expression here is unique to our culture

it is absolutely accurate that creativity expresses and grows one's being, but there is a form of consumption that is creative (not the kind these people are doing though)

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

lol if you don't realise that the global economy is just an enormous emergent post-sentient intelligence for which every human is merely a neuron

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

who gives a gently caress gently caress dogs and die with a dick in your mouth

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

chaosbreather posted:

lol if you don't realise that the global economy is just an enormous emergent post-sentient intelligence for which every human is merely a neuron

Poe's law strikes again!

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

There's just Bread water, light bread water, skunky bread water, and hipster bread water, and agressively disgusting piss. there's five flavors of beer.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
you're missing delicious black drink flavour.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

chaosbreather posted:

it's so beautiful

Eustachy
May 7, 2013
Fancy a pint lads. That'll be $5 for this poo poo that tastes like it came out of a storm drain

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The microbrewey obsession movement is pretty gay.

Yup let's take beer and add wine snobbery like describing it as having a floral finish with a hint of roast almonds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcRHUOTNobE

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you
OP I just want to say holy poo poo I'm offended by your statements! Oh! Oh!

I hope you eat a dead bug

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I just don't get this trend of lovely dark microbrew IPAs and making them as dark as possible to the point where you're just drinking dirt

Mmmm this unique ipa is so delicious you've probably never heard of it

Butthead
May 31, 2011
OP, must be something seriously wrong with your taste if you think a lambic beer tastes like all the others.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
if you seriously can't tell the difference between, say, Sam Adams, Guinness, and Bud Light then holy poo poo are your taste buds are defective

like I'm not never being a beer snob or anything, seriously it's like saying cranberries, fried chicken, and macadamia nuts all taste indentical

Nanpa
Apr 24, 2007
Nap Ghost

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

I just don't get this trend of lovely dark microbrew IPAs and making them as dark as possible to the point where you're just drinking dirt

Mmmm this unique ipa is so delicious you've probably never heard of it

ban hops imo from all microbrews, some brewers just can't be trusted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Nothing amazing happens here.
Everything is ordinary.

Americans having a beer argument is like watching people argue over the best shade of grey.

• Locked thread