Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The Iron Rose posted:

How do yall handle caching authentication tokens between multiple pods/processes/etc? Current practice is to just toss a 5min TTL JWT into the cluster local redis so the authentication service doesn’t get swamped with requests.

I'd probably renegotiate your auth system with your vendor or fix the rate limit

You can store the token as a Kubernetes secret, then use reflector to push the "secret" across the cluster, and reloader to verify the pod gets reloaded when the secret changes? I dunno how fast or scalable that is compared to redis, but that gives you a pure Kubernetes solution, at least in theory

Edit: at 30k pods you're probably going to bring etcd to it's knees, making your cluster really grim performance wise, don't do this

This is a great interview question

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Apr 23, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Didn't IBMs buyout of Red Hat not work out that well? Maybe people will go back to using Azure Bicep :haw:

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

Does anyone have a link/resource about why Broadcom is such a widely vilified company? The only thing I know them for is like mobile chips or the like. Did they do something specific with a software company that I’m not aware of?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

madmatt112 posted:

Does anyone have a link/resource about why Broadcom is such a widely vilified company? The only thing I know them for is like mobile chips or the like. Did they do something specific with a software company that I’m not aware of?
They basically treat their acquisitions the same as a private equity firm, vulture capitalism

https://www.crn.com/news/virtualization/2024/broadcom-tells-partner-negotiating-for-charity-vmware-is-not-for-everybody

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Yeah the MO seems to be acquiring companies that have become indispensable to operations and then jacking up the prices to an insane degree because they know they have customers over a barrel. Which on the one hand, :capitalism: but on the other hand sure does piss everyone off.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

They have a history of not providing open source drivers for their hardware, particularly the binary blob needed to boot the raspberry pi* (which boots via it's GPU for some reason) broadcom was always a real dick about their Linux driver support. I remember spending countless nights working with USB sticks to get Linux laptops online because distros couldn't/wouldn't include broadcom drivers

*This may have finally changed, haven't checked in a while

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

Vulture Culture posted:

They basically treat their acquisitions the same as a private equity firm, vulture capitalism

https://www.crn.com/news/virtualization/2024/broadcom-tells-partner-negotiating-for-charity-vmware-is-not-for-everybody

That is some evil bullshit, yikes.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Developers want better visibility into their build and deploy process (of course, for good reason) most of this happens either in GitHub actions, or ArgoCD

I've identified, I think, 13 distinct build and deploy tasks across the front and back end for our monolith, touching a bunch of services across multiple vendors (GitHub, AWS, cloudflare, code analysis tools etc)

How do you add visibility into this at your place, what kind of pattern

I'm thinking of two slack channels, one "short" channel with the high level green or red light for the overall deploy, so maximum two kinds of alerts, and a "verbose" channel that includes all 13 slack messages, that have a link to the query in the logging where the problem can be better inspected

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Hadlock posted:

Developers want better visibility into their build and deploy process (of course, for good reason) most of this happens either in GitHub actions, or ArgoCD

I've identified, I think, 13 distinct build and deploy tasks across the front and back end for our monolith, touching a bunch of services across multiple vendors (GitHub, AWS, cloudflare, code analysis tools etc)

How do you add visibility into this at your place, what kind of pattern

I'm thinking of two slack channels, one "short" channel with the high level green or red light for the overall deploy, so maximum two kinds of alerts, and a "verbose" channel that includes all 13 slack messages, that have a link to the query in the logging where the problem can be better inspected
Treat each task as a span in a distributed trace and use your existing distributed tracing practice to monitor your deployment health

This is more or less how Datadog's CI/CD monitoring product handles it, anyway, just with a pretty bow on it

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

And it's official

https://www.hashicorp.com/blog/hashicorp-joins-ibm

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

We did some napkin math and our vmware licensing cost is likely going to at least triple (likely more) next year when it's time to renew, so now we're scrambling to find an alternative. We're using NSX so if we want to keep that we're stuck with the expensive licensing options.

poo poo sucks. I was hoping to do some interesting stuff this year, not spend it rebuilding what we already have just because some useless fuckwits want their third solid gold yacht.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

A cool 6.4 billion god drat :homebrew: Speaking of gold yachts

kaaj
Jun 23, 2013

don't stop, carry on.

Collateral Damage posted:

We did some napkin math and our vmware licensing cost is likely going to at least triple (likely more) next year when it's time to renew, so now we're scrambling to find an alternative.

Same at my place. Seven digit renewal costs scared few people so a bunch of teams were scrambling to get a good alternative (easy) in time before renewal (hard)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Vulture Culture posted:

madmatt112 posted:

That is some evil bullshit, yikes.

From the interview with the Scale CEO Jeff Ready,

quote:

The strategy is working, though, right? Broadcom is doing better than it ever has been.

The strategy does work from a financial standpoint. The company’s strategy. But they are not technologists. The reason I got into tech was not to seek profit harvesting. It was so you could create something. You could solve problems. And you could solve problems for other people and 100 percent, that is what VMware started out as.

quote:

What are they missing? What is the big picture that Broadcom is not seeing?

It depends on your long-term strategy. This profit harvesting thing. This is something you apply to mature businesses. Which means they’re not innovating for the future. They’re not trying to see what they can do with the technology. They think virtualization is in a sunset phase. They’re going to milk it.