Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mandator
Aug 28, 2007

I just found this thread so I need to read through it before I can make any meaningful contributions.

However I recently just set up Microsoft Release Manager for a TFS/GIT SC setup for a fairly large company if anyone has any questions about that. I think it's a pretty neat setup and I can't poke any holes in it. I'd love for you guys to poke holes in it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandator
Aug 28, 2007

Ithaqua posted:

I've been working with the Release Management stuff a ton for the past 18 months. If you're using the agent-based model, stop right now and start considering how you can transition it to PowerShell or DSC scripts ("vNext" releases). The agent/fine-grained workflow model is being totally abandoned in TFS 2015 Update 1 in favor of a new release system that's closely modeled after the new build system (in fact, it's the exact same task system -- a build action can be a release action and vice versa). The idea is that you'll have your deployment scripts be in DSC/PowerShell/Chef/Puppet/Octopus/whatever and use the release tooling in TFS to orchestrate and manage releases, but not deployment. The release tooling will not help you deploy your software at all, there will be no built-in tasks for "set up a website" or anything like that. If you want to set up a website, write a DSC script, source control it, and invoke it as a release task.

The ALM Rangers are kicking off a project to create migration guidance and tooling next week, but it's going to be a shitshow for the existing users. I'm donating a bunch of code to the project because I foresaw this problem a while back and wrote a bunch of proof of concept code for doing migrations knowing we'd need it someday.

I could have swore that agent based releases were not being phased out in 2015 and there was going to be a 2015 RM client that still supported agent based releases. I even read this from somewhere I trusted when I was doing my research on DSC/Agents. Gosh loving dang it. Why are they removing a feature that works perfectly fine?

However we only have around five of our enterprise projects CI'd at the moment using agent based releases so the switch should be relatively trivial. I've already extended the default functionality with PowerShell scripts so I'm not too worried about just going back to writing my own scripts for deployment.

Still, drat, thanks for the heads up man.