Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JimboMaloi
Oct 10, 2007

(disclaimer: I work for ThoughtWorks, though not on the Go team)

I'm actually currently dealing with the Jenkins vs. Go CD discussion, and while it's true that you can get some semblance of a visualization in Jenkins, it doesn't compare to what Go CD gives you out of the box. The part where Jenkins visualization falls apart if/when you have to actually chain pipelines together. I will give credit though that the (relatively) new Workflow Plugin seems to be a big improvement over previous Jenkins plugins, particularly by actually having support for the diamond dependency problem where you only want pipeline D to run if pipelines B and C were successful using a common artifact from pipeline A. But Go CD is free now, so if it suits your needs there's no longer a reason not to use it. If you've got the budget you should definitely look into TeamCity though; it's a very solid piece of software. Just whatever you do, don't use ElectricCommander.

quote:

One thing I'm having a bit of trouble with, and this was a problem on Jenkins too, is what to do with automating provisioning of the Vagrant managed build environments. At the moment I'm working on a script to checkout the vm repo then duplicate it N times (number of build agents I want) and use vagrant to provision a bunch of machines. It's got some smarts in it so that if I rerun it in the same workspace it'll avoid reprovisioning the environments that didn't change and disable/delete/vagrant destroy the ones that did before reprovisioning. I'm not running this script inside of GoCD but I suppose I could. Is there a better way to manage this issue? Should I be looking at using something like moving my shell script provisioning to Chef or whatever then making these machines with that instead of Vagrant? (The machines are all hosted on vSphere)

You're on the right track in that Vagrant is the wrong tool for what you're trying to do. Chef (or Ansible or Puppet or Salt) will do what you want once you've wrapped your head around how they actually work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU