Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Fatz posted:

Just finished hooking up Sandcastle to our CI build because I'm a little tired of being asked for documentation that nobody uses.

If you're in the .NET world, Sandcastle has been around for ages. It's what MS uses/used for their MSDN documentation generation. Someone released the source to the public ages ago and I've been using it on and off since. It's been a good 5 years since I touched it last so I grabbed the latest last week. Really has come a long ways. Integrates into visual studio as a project type now. Just add a new "help" project to your solution, add the .*proj files as documentation sources and poof--instant docs...provided you've remarked your code everywhere.

Using Team Build (TFS) for building, I created a helper script that publishes the generated help after a successful build to a website and includes the url in the successful build notifications.

Interesting - I last looked at this about a year ago. Similarly, we are sometimes asked by higher-ups for standalone documentation no dev would use. At the time it was abandoned, hadn't been touched since 2012 or so.

Does it still have crazy build times? A fairly complex project that took about 10 minutes for our ancient build server to build would take in the order of an hour to build the docs, so it's been disabled since I set it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU