Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Matt Zerella posted:

Ami reading this right that you can't stand up Amazon Workspaces with terraform? Just the VPC and the Directory server?

Yeah, because a lack of API support from AWS: https://github.com/terraform-providers/terraform-provider-aws/issues/434

e: Oh, there's progress: https://github.com/terraform-providers/terraform-provider-aws/pull/11608

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Matt Zerella posted:

But I can stand up the VPC for it? Or is that not a good idea if I'm plunking manually created stuff into it?

The VPC resources you create in Terraform don't care about what you put in it, and it'd create a good base to import the other Workspaces resources once it's supported. I'd go for it.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Boz0r posted:

What is it called in Azure DevOps when committed code gets rejected if it doesn't build and pass all tests? People from our team break our pipelines all the time and I'm sick of it.

branch policies, i guess? https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/devops/repos/git/branch-policies?view=azure-devops

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

VS Code?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

We've been doing SAFe for the past year. To me, the experience is 50 people being stuffed into a small meeting room without proper chairs or any ventilation for two days and being told to lose all autonomy.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

LochNessMonster posted:

Unfortunately I'm dealing with on prem VM's, otherwise I'd just have used EKS/AKS/GKE.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

https://aws.amazon.com/eks/eks-anywhere/

Fresh off the press.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

at least 0.14 has forward compatible state files

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

i stopped loving around with all that boolean bullshit inside modules when they added count to modules

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I don't think that module is official. It's one of Anton Babenko's modules iirc and he has a bad case of overengineering.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I use tfenv, it's pretty good.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

gently caress you if your generated password isn't eight digits

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Yeah, gently caress Alpine.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Apigee is neat.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Why wouldn't Terraform be the right tool for this job? Sounds like a perfect fit to me.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

just use nix op

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

github is still way more expensive than gitlab

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

jenkins is good job security but bad all other security

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

gently caress off alpine

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

hashicorp has a lot of faults, but azure being poo poo to work with isn't theirs

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

HashiCorp Terraform Registry is now for "HashiCorp Terraform" only. That's a nice gently caress you to OpenTF, I guess they'll just have to spin up their own registry.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Hadlock posted:

Wow already? That's probably not good for user retention for them, and pretty poor show of face. I'd love to know which exec made that decision, so I know which products to avoid when they get fired and move on to the next place

If this were a less important product I think they might be able to get away with this but most devops people are going to be highly salty about this, like taking the knife out of a butchers hand, they're not going to forget this

It's hashicorps product and all, and they can do what they want but the community has been unwaivering in their opinion on this change

"You may download providers, modules, policy libraries and/or other Services or Content from this website solely for use with, or in support of, HashiCorp Terraform."

This was not in the previous version of the terms of use (link to archive). Updated last week.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

can't wait for the opentofu / chef collaboration

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Mustache Ride posted:

Also if you subscribe to Jira cloud you get opsgenie, Atlassian's pagerduty for free.

Yeah, that's great if you're okay with your incident management system being unavailable for over a week.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I still can't make MR X depend on MR Y, which depends on MR Z. Can't choose whether to expand multi-line scripts in GitLab CI either. But fortunately, there's now a webhook for emoji reactions.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

it's the jenkins of this decade

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

pretty much all of vault's announcements this year have been "we added a feature to our piece of poo poo cloud platform, please give us money"

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

ruamel.yaml does yaml 1.2 and has its own host of issues (like using sourceforge in tyool 2023)

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

stop thinking there's logic behind it, a random pm is assigned short naming duty and they just make it up

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

LochNessMonster posted:

I agree, but this person has very strong opinions on a product they have 0 experience with.

i love these people, and by love i mean i want to bash their heads in with my keyboard

LochNessMonster posted:

I just need to come up with a way to prevent them reading state locally as to not circumvent the pipeline entirely.

if you're hosting it in s3, setup a bucket policy which only allows access from the ip range of your ci runners.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

We have a few standard tags but the most useful to me is linking to the repository in which the resource was created

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I've used Dmarcian before and it works well, I'm using PowerDMARC for my personal domains.

If you're hitting SPF lookup limits you could go for SPF flattening, but in the long run you're better off splitting stuff off to their own subdomains.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Docjowles posted:

Annoyed at the terraform AWS provider devs today. They released a new minor version that "fixes" an issue where you could add the same route to a VPC route table multiple times. Which, yeah, that probably shouldn't be allowed. But in practice it didn't hurt anything, it's not like you ended up with multiple routes in reality. AWS just silently ignored the subsequent attempts to create dupes. Now your terraform apply hard fails on the same code.

A module we wrote had a bug, and was creating some harmless dupe routes. I tried to upgrade the provider today and it broke the module. If I remove one of the duplicate declarations, terraform wants to delete the routes. A second plan/apply will restore them since the other declaration is still present. But this still means eating a 30 second network outage. I tried some fuckery with their moved{} syntax but it didn't help in this case, TF still insists on deleting the routes. The best workaround I came up with is manually doing a "terraform state rm" on the resources I am deleting from the code first so it doesn't want to delete them from AWS too. I can pin the provider version to the old version for a while but that's obviously not a long term solution. All of this sucks.

The change they've made is ~technically correct~ but it was not causing any issues whatsoever in practice. Why the hell would you stick this in a 0.01 point release and not sit on it until the next major version with all your other breaking changes :argh:

OpenTofu lets you use a removed block for this use case, no idea why Terraform hasn't added this

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Vulture Culture posted:

The product seems solid but the UX on it feels wobbly as gently caress in the same way as, like, ArgoCD. Definitely not as polished as TFC but it will get the job done

i feel the opposite tbh, spacelift's ux is way more refined than tfc

the pricing and support is good too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I'm pretty happy with Spacelift, pricing's good (compared to Terraform Cloud) and their support is very helpful and responsive.