Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

Oh great, another bookah.
I've been using self-hosted Bamboo (+ JIRA) for a year for my personal projects. The starter license is not that expensive, but the 10 build jobs limit has been very annoying. I was wondering, before I renew my license, is there something better that I could use in the same price range or for free?

My situation is basically just around 5-10 active projects with private repos (most of them only have one or two committers) - most of them only get built and deployed <10 times per month. I would love any alternatives to be self-hosted as well, and integration with an issue tracker (doesn't have to be JIRA) would be amazing. Is anybody in a similar boat? What are you guys using?

sunaurus fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Feb 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

Ithaqua posted:

Team Foundation Server Express. On-premise installation, free for up to 5 people. Full work tracking / source control / build.

Thanks, that sounds great, but from what I can tell, it only runs on windows? Sadly, I don't have any windows boxes.
From what I know, ssh from windows is a huge pain, so I'm assuming that even if I set up a virtual machine for this, actual deployments to my (linux) servers would not be easy to set up?

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

Umbreon posted:

I figured I'd ask around and get an idea on what people in devops do and work from there.

"Devops" is one of those awful buzzwords that means very different things to different people.

For some, it basically means "remove barriers between your dev teams and your ops teams", usually this just translates to putting a single team in charge of everything from developing an app to running it in production.

For others, it means the exact opposite: creating additional barriers between dev teams and ops teams. Usually this translates to creating a third "devops team" full of "devops engineers" that work somewhere between your dev team and your ops team.

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

It's even worse when a company just renames their operations team to "devops" and puts a bunch of people with somewhere between "zero" and "minimal" prior development experience in charge of writing software.

Dev teams renamed to "devops teams" can also suck. I worked for my government for a while, at some point, they had decided they don't need employ as many people if they just start doing devops, so they gave their dev teams full responsibility for all ops stuff. It would have been awesome if they had actually ensured that the teams have the necessary skills/experience, but I'm guessing many didn't, because the team I got hired into most definitely had no idea what they were doing. I ended up being the first person in my team who had any kind of sysadmin experience, and the weird part is that I wasn't even hired for that experience at all (it never even came up during my interviews), it was more of a lucky coincidence.

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

Kalenden posted:

I am coming from a PhD in computer science that was focused on low-end IoT platforms and application orchestration (such as for wireless sensor networks).

In a new job, I'll be responsible or developing a SaaS platform that will help DevOps and is focused on decouple configuration data, infrastructure and application service definitions from tooling and platforms.

As such, it involves technologies such as Docker, Terraform, Puppet, Ansible, Kubernetes, ... as well as Databases (CouchDB), Message Queues (Redis), ... and Python development.

I have less experience with these things and DevOps in general.

Any guides or tutorials or advice you can recommend given this profile?

Wow, your post reads exactly like messages I get on linkedin (all you're missing is agile blockchain machine learning technology).

That's a lot of technologies to not have experience with, I hope you'll be joining a cool team that can guide you as you get familiar with the tools you'll be using.

As far as guides and tutorials, my advice is to always prefer official documentation (which is generally very good and readable for all the software you mentioned) and try to stay away from random blog posts called something like "Python Docker Kubernetes with Redis Tutorial". It might seem tempting to just copy a setup you find from google, but blog tutorials are often out of date, don't do a good job of explaining the examples they share and sometimes offer just absolutely stupid solutions to easy problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

Usually you would use containers instead of virtual machines for something like that