Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Oh neat, we have a devops thread. Quick devops hot takes:
Docker - cool and good
Puppet - bane of my existence
Jenkins - cool and good
Jenkins plugins - bane of my existence

So did everyone else get thrust into the role of DevOps Engineer with no training or support, or is that just me?

Also, Docker question because I'm bad at my job, it seems the most practical way to have containers accessible to connections outside your network is to get something set up using docker-gen and ngix/apache/whatever. Is that correct? I'm piddling around with getting stuff working on a VPS but I'm having a time getting anything to be accessible that's not on port 80.

Fake edit - seems the killjoys in InfoSec kill any traffic outside a given series of ports. Completely understandable, but it would have been nice to be notified.

Warbird fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Aug 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Everyone please lodge your complaints with the nature of "DevOps" jobs after I get a job.

So Docker question. I can wrap my head around general containers just fine, but more "interactive" ones are escaping me. Is setting something up with the intention of having to pass commands regularly to the container's contents going against the whole point of the matter?

Specifically this. My limited understanding is that the image is intended for use in a CI setup. I imagine that if you're passing a limited set of commands on a given interval, then it's fine to have Jenkins/Chef/whatever fire off a given input when needed. Is that about right?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I want to like Puppet, I really do, but man am I not good at it.

code:
class blah {
  file { '/path/to/file.foo': 
    ensure => present,
    content => file('profile/blah/ideal_state_of_file
    schedule => 'nightly_revert',
  }

schedule { 'nightly_revert:
    period => daily,
    range  => '1 - 3',
    repeat => 1,
  }
}
Intended result: User(s) can fool around with file.foo during the day and it gets set back to the "ideal state" every night sometime between 1 to 3 AM.

Actual result: Nothing happens unless puppet agent -t -environment foobar is run on the agent via CLI during the range. The standard 30 minute call home intervals skip the file.

I'm not sure what I'm missing here. I know the schedule can only prevent things from running, which is exactly what we want, so I don't think it's that angle. Plus, runs outside the given range do nothing as well. I'm starting to wonder if it has something to do with the repeat pool getting depleted or some other aspect that I'm not considering.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

The pool of repeats was getting used up for Christ knows what reason. Solution: Throw everything but the time range out the window. Works fine now.

Goddamn Puppet.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Napoleon Bonaparty posted:

So there isn't a good way to learn puppet, this thing everybody's been asking if I know? Okay cool.

Puppet the company has some free learning VM or something like that. I’ve heard good things, but haven’t used them myself. LinuxAcademy has a course on it to prep for a cert. it’s comprehensive, but rough enough that I’d recommend getting a subscription until they revamp it or there are other subjects on the platform that interest you.

My admittedly short experience in F500 DevOps has been about 80/20 Puppet to Ansible use. Couldn’t hurt to know either, but Puppet seems to be more popular, especially to corps just moving into formalized DevOps.

edit: Also chocolatey is the tits. Thanks and god bless.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I always feel like I have a handle on what I do until I read this thread.

So, we’re talked with automating the install and config of a software stack. Problem is, it appears the msi switches don’t exist for some of the settings that are being tweaked. I’ve got a workaround via making a Chocolatey package and autoIT, but this doesn’t seem to be the “right” way to do things. Any suggestions?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

EssOEss posted:

As in, some GUI options in the installer? If they just change runtime settings and do not affect the installer, I would simply do a post-MSI step that sets the appropriate regkeys or whatnot.

These are all just GUI options, yes. A few are represented via switches, but most are not. Specific stuff like enabling or disabling features or creating services are a pain in particular. If I go and set the system’s environment variables in advance, it solves some of the issues. AutoIT is getting the job done, but I’m interested in the registry tool someone mentioned. Just doing vanilla silent installs and then tweaking the registry may be the better option in the long run.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I automated a busted rear end GUI install with AutoIT so we could cut down deployment times by 90%. I have utterly no idea what any of you are talking about, but I’m pretty happy with that.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Is there a decent Windows DevOps/Sysadmin/automation for Jackasses course or book any of you can recommend? Small words are a must.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

The closest I’ve come to that is leveraging the multiple VMs you get with Linux Academy. It’ll do in a pinch for smaller projects, but isn’t perfect. I’ve been debating trying AWS, but haven’t done so yet.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

It’s a real hoot to interview for a DevOps position only to find out they want something completely different than what you have. It’s getting to the point of “Engineer” now. Everybody’s definition is wildly different.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

DevOps at my current workplace is pretty much just Ops. I’m mostly doing automation and being the middle man for people that need environments for the project. It’s a bit of a pain as most places in the area more closely associate it with AWS/Azure and/or CI. I can read up on it all day, but I’m somewhat concerned about my finding something else when/if this contract ends.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

VMWare has poo poo the bed at the workplace and we've been unable to spin up Windows VMs for close to a month now. Current lead times now that it is kinda working are longer that it would be to get a physical server in place. Yaaaaaaaay.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Internet Explorer posted:

Also, it's VMware. It looks weird the other way and generally shows you don't have familiarity with what you're talking about.

My understanding is that it was something with load balancers compounding with some other issues. My team isn’t involved with any of that, so who even knows. I just want some test/dev environments and lord knows that isn’t happening any time soon.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Have the interviewer quantity their definition of DevOps to you at the outset. That’ll get you a decent idea of where they’re at as far as ops v admin v CI v lord knows what else.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I sent a firewall exemption ticket in to get our puppet compile masters the ability to talk to the agents today. It’ll only be 2 weeks.

This poo poo was supposed to go live last October. :v:

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Anyone here fooled with Nirmata before?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Now containerizing Unity itself for building a project upon commit as part of a CI/CD setup, then you’ve got yourself a use case.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Me: Developer, give me your code and your vendor contacts so we can do a DevOps.
Dev: Why? I don't want to. I'll do the deploying.
Me: What.

Every day. Every drat day.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Which would be perfectly fine by me if the company or teams involved were doing so for that reason. That being said, yeah it's a traditional OPs setup. This is old fashioned "job security by obsfucation" on the part of the dev.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Ok goons, continue doing only puppet work at a job I largely don't like or take a 50k take home pay cut to take a swing at DevOps consulting at a place I've been wanting to go? And no, they won't come up a drat penny.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I tend to agree with you. I'm raw as hell for anything that isn't Puppet (which I'm so so with at best) and I'm extremely concerned that when/if I leave where I am that I will be pigeonholed into more Puppet stuff. I don't have a drat clue what most of you are saying most of the time and my main draw for these guys is that I'd get a good base overview of most everything. The consulting guys know I'm green and I'm more or less over a barrel. The offer is a bit above market for this area to boot. It would for sure be a better career move down the line, but $50k isn't exactly a trivial amount. Bah. Good problem to have though.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Point made. Let me ask you all this then, how do go about gaining enough experience in non-work related tech or applications to be able to use it down the line? Certs? I've only ever built directly off of what I did in the last job(s), so I'm super certain how one branches out in a meaningful way.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

12 rats tied together posted:

A lot of it is just a mindset thing, IMO, and demonstrating a strong grasp of fundamentals.

If you want to do "devops" stuff I think you just need to be able to speak about, roughly:

- 12 factor
- pets vs cattle
- 0 touch provisioning
- task orchestration (build / deploy)
- environment management or infrastructure as code

It's unreasonable to expect a new hire to be an expert at a particular tool (unless the job posting is like Sr. Engineer - OpenStack or whatever).

You can totally answer a question about deploying a new kubernetes application with the puppet+VMware version, or whatever. As an interviewer I'd be mostly looking for you to demonstrate knowledge about the above items anyway, so if you give me the answer for your own tech stack that's really just an even better opportunity for me to get at those fundamentals instead of talking about replica set pod bullshit which ultimately does not matter.

Comedy option though I usually learn a new tech stack during technical exercises at job interviews.

Thanks, I appreciate the breakdown! My entrance into Ops/DevOps was by complete chance and I never got a chance to become acquainted with most of what you listed; too many fires to put out. I'll set aside this weekend and read up on those points.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I think I’m going to accept that full time consulting gig tomorrow. Pay cut or no I think it would be more beneficial for my career by way of establishing a solid base and having the ability to branch out. My contracting firm also recommended I commit tax fraud so I could get extra cash, so it might be best to not be associated with them.

Silver lining: Since I don’t much care for pissing off the IRS the pay cut is only 25k or so. Which would be about where I would be if I converted at my current place.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

So I'm poking and prodding at Teraform. I'm a bit gunshy about hooking it up to a cloud platform because I'm a huge baby and also cheap as hell. I assume that having AWS/Azure as the provider would still be much cheaper than upgrading my home server (old rear end laptop) and handling any necessary licensing fun even accounting for colossal screwups?

And I turned down the consulting thing. Still reading through the list of concepts, it's been quite a week.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

SeaborneClink posted:

$300 GCP sign up credit, ready go.

My man! I hadn’t even considered Gcloud. Well I know what I’m doing for a bit.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

LochNessMonster posted:

So did you take the paycut?

Nope. Just found out that our PO is going to be taking off every M/F for the rest of the year and oh man does that untracked time off sound better now. I’m still convinced it’s a trap though.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

So the architects who designed the DevOps ecosystem I deal with apparently never discussed the matter with the Ops team that owns the environment. We just got told that they won’t integrate puppet agents into server builds and that we couldn’t use Bladelogic anymore to do the deed as they “don’t get involved on the application level”. Meanwhile I have 400 servers that a billion dollar program sure is expecting to have them done very soon. Some poor bastard is going to be having a very bad day soon and I don’t know if it’s going to be the architect or the ops guy.

Warbird fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Oct 9, 2018

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Suffice it to say we don’t and are federally prohibited from having any. The entire thing is run by a team of less than a dozen and they still create Linux boxes by putting a disk in a tray.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Good to know going forward. However these are all Win2012 boxes and they told us to pound sand when Ansible or anything else was brought up. I’m fairly sure Puppet adoption was only tolerated due to C suite strong arming.

Is there a Krebsonsecurity equivalent for DevOps/Ops that I should know about? Preferably something at a 5th grade reading level.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Warbird posted:

Good to know going forward. However these are all Win2012 boxes and they told us to pound sand when Ansible or anything else was brought up. I’m fairly sure Puppet adoption was only tolerated due to C suite strong arming.

Is there a Krebsonsecurity equivalent for DevOps/Ops that I should know about? Preferably something at a 5th grade reading level.

Following up on this, it was all a "misunderstanding" once people a few pay grades higher got wind of things and made calls. We're all still busted af, but it's the normal sorta busted.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

So my new workplace is pretty nice and I got a pay raise from the last position. Everything's great except the fact that Github is blocked on the network for christ knows what reason so is the specific tool I was hired to work with. I've been advised to do research on my personal laptop and just email myself the code snippets I'm interested in.

Fukkin what. This is still a net improvement, but what are we doing here people?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Walked posted:

The gently caress.

I've run into similar when I was working on a DoD installation once; where I'd research poo poo from home and then email myself PowerShell snippets; way back in the day. It was real dumb.

But this sounds even less logical. I don't understand. And I'm normally pretty understanding of corporate policy and restriction.

Believe me no one else in Ops is a fan either. It's a large financial institution so some dimwit in security likely had a decent business case that got approved at a high level. If I worked in office it would be one thing, but it's remote so it just lets me gently caress around on my personal laptop and move stuff over once I find something useful. Contract's not too long so I can bounce if it gets too stupid. I'm also going to start expensing my laptop so eh.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

The only place I've seen desktops was at the railroad some years ago and even then only for the contract people. The unions there were super weird so those machines could only access 3 web pages and nothing else.

Back on topic, can anyone recommend some required Powershell reading? I'm doing Chocolatey packaging these days and some of the customizations I'm having to make are starting to stretch my abilities with working within the language.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Docjowles posted:

PowerShell in a Month of Lunches is the book goons always seem to rave about.

Oh right, I remember hearing something about that a few years ago. Thanks for the reminder! I’ll go eyeball the power shell thread as well.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Posting this here as the Powershell thread appears to be hella dead:

Any of you folks use Chocolatey? I've got an Oracle client that is being an absolute fucker and I'm fairly sure that I'm missing something. We have n response file for the install, but the executable requires a full path to said file. No ./tools/foo.rsp here. I can run the install straight from PS just fine, but once it goes into Chocolatey it breaks all to hell; the exit code is consistent with being unable to find the response file. I've copied the file to C: just to have it in a static place outside of the packaging process, but it still fails during packing install. Anyone have any suggestions on potential next steps to resolve? I'm currently out of ideas.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Way ahead of you there friend. I think the fellow that was working on the package before me messed something up in the nuspec or install file and I didn't notice. I did a clean start with the package generator I wrote and it's breaking in a far more reasonable way that's telling me what it has issues with now. Hopefully should just be a matter of time, but man has this been a pain.

Meta talk, a manager from another team has been trying to poach me to come over and work on Ansible based stuff as opposed to just windows (choco) packaging. I'm assuming this would be a better career move as Ansible has wider applications and adopotions than Chocolatey at this point. Plus I could use more experience in the provisioning world. Thoughts?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

The NPC posted:

Is the answerfile included in the package? Can you use Resolve-Path on ./tools/foo.rsp to get the absolute path and pass that in? If you're passing it in through $silentArgs you might have to watch how quotes and variables get escaped too.

Remember, ChocolateyInstall.ps1 is just a Powershell script, so any pre-processing or input sanitation you could do in PS you can do here.

Mother fucker I hate Oracle. So I think I found out what was the problem:

Oracle uses a universal installer to do its, well, installs. Thing is, said installer isn't the first stop on the journey; it's the 12c setup executable in this case (Program A). Chocolatey only knows and cares about Program A and doesn't have the slightest worry in the world about what's going on with the universal installer (Program B). Near as I can tell, A calls B and passes it some info and closes out with a nonstandard exit code, because Oracle. Chocolatey sees the non 0 exit code, assumes everything's FUBAR and starts purging the install files that B needs so things get cleaned up. This causes B to error out randomly depending on what got deleted first. This doesn't happen when doing things "normally" with the same flags via a Powershell window because there's nothing there to really care.

Resolution: Pass a flag to have A hang around until B finishes, resulting in an acceptable 0 exit code.
Possible Alternative Resolution: Have 259 as an acceptable code for this one package and ignore the hang around flag.

I'm starting to understand why everyone I've ever worked with that's been in Ops beyond a certain year range sounds like they hate their jobs/lives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Me: We should set up versioning for our Choco package development and not just have everything just on a public network share. Also a pipeline to compile and insert these compiled packages into Artifactory would be a good idea instead of everything being manual.

Everyone else: gently caress off.

I’m starting to think a career change may be in order.