Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheresNoThyme
Nov 23, 2012
Anyone have experience using devops tools to stand up and support an internal cloud?

I'm being asked for input on doing so, and while my role is definitely not-devops-guy it's also will-get-screwed-by-bad--infrastructure-decisions-guy. Assuming it stabilizes in the future, I figure Docker is a good starting point for enabling scalability, and leaves the door open to an external cloud in the future. Even with its current issues, it seems pretty much too-big-to-fail at the moment.

When it comes to hooking in docker with actual deployment and cloud management though, I'm in general pretty distrustful of the whole "just write puppet scripts to do everything!" methodology but when I look at what I'd consider more reliable, framework-style options (like say kubernetes) there doesn't seem to be much maturity there either. Like, obviously it works fine for google et al but I'm not confident our internal team could be more successful using it in its current state than if they just went with a homebrew approach

TheresNoThyme fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Jul 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheresNoThyme
Nov 23, 2012
Thanks for the input, that's the way I am leaning as well and it's nice to have input from someone already down the road on Docker. I had not heard of Mesos, will have to check that out.

It's a bit annoying because I just know I'm going to be back to "well it works on my local!" for the inevitable early slew of puppet script problems. I guess I just need to accept baby steps here and get the transparency docker provides, then worry about the other stuff later.