Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TodPunk
Feb 9, 2013

What do you mean, "TRON isn't a documentary?"

duck monster posted:

We ran a very large government department with it. Science clusters, windows servers, various linux boxes, virtual hosts and servers, the lot. Its very nice. Like all of these things, theres a bit of a learning curve, but honestly I found it much easier than puppet

SaltStack is locally developed here in Utah, so I get a lot of exposure to it. Their docs suck at helping the learning curve and every presentation I've ever seen fails to explain what you can/can't do with it or why you'd care. I just did a book review for Learning SaltStack and it made me realize it's NOT just me that has this problem. I hope they improve their docs to have a simplistic version of this book (it was written by one of the devs), they need it.

That said, SaltStack is amazing and scales incredibly well if you can keep it organized (the tools make it easy to do so if you keep it in mind). We're using it in our new AWS deployment to replace some legacy junk. Only 6 servers, but it's still a devops godsend. I'll never touch puppet again. Ansible was also worth looking at, but we found the project changing too much at the time.

Referal-less amazon link! http://www.amazon.com/Learning-Saltstack-Colton-Myers/dp/1784394602

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU