Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kaaj
Jun 23, 2013

don't stop, carry on.
How big are your gitops monorepos? Some smart heads in the org I work with came up with the design that after a year has

❯ git rev-list --objects --all | wc -l

So I’m curious how it compares.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaaj
Jun 23, 2013

don't stop, carry on.

Hadlock posted:

Possibly the dumbest thing you'll read today

The day is just starting but I can't see you being wrong.

kaaj
Jun 23, 2013

don't stop, carry on.
You could technically get an email address to send invite codes to and then automation to act on that? It shouldn’t be that hard although it would involve some work. I’d at least consider that, I really dislike having hidden APIs to do stuff if there’s a way to avoid them.

kaaj
Jun 23, 2013

don't stop, carry on.

Blinkz0rz posted:

We use istio and for the tls stuff it works great. Scaling istio to our capacity on the other hand...

Just curious, what scale you’re running Istio at? We have individual clusters with <6 -8k pods (~tens - low hundreds of clusters total) and even then scaling Istio is fun. Biggest offenders were big global namespaces with high rate of churn, where updates in the mesh need to be propagated to a lot of other peers.

A lot of effort is being put into that overall and we still need to do more to feel that we’re ahead of potential issues.

kaaj
Jun 23, 2013

don't stop, carry on.

Blinkz0rz posted:

Almost exactly that. Supposedly the move away from sidecar proxies will improve memory use and a lot of the startup race conditions but I'm not wholly convinced.

Big win which brought noticeable improvements for us was usage of Sidecars (the CRD, not proxies) to explicitly define the endpoints each workload needs to talk to.

We weirdly have a bunch of reasons to mesh ( tens of teams, hundreds of microservices and monoliths in the mesh, FedRAMP, sensitive data, all that) so like a mesh has its place. But we have a dedicated team for owning Istio and I can’t imagine supporting it without few engineers fully dedicated for that effort.

Really hope ambient will make a difference on resource consumption.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaaj
Jun 23, 2013

don't stop, carry on.

Collateral Damage posted:

We did some napkin math and our vmware licensing cost is likely going to at least triple (likely more) next year when it's time to renew, so now we're scrambling to find an alternative.

Same at my place. Seven digit renewal costs scared few people so a bunch of teams were scrambling to get a good alternative (easy) in time before renewal (hard)