Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

Methanar posted:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

When you say “compute control plane”, are you referring to K8S master nodes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Methanar posted:

APIserver, controller manager and scheduler processes = compute control plane

This makes sense.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Vulture Culture posted:

My most hilarious abuse of nsenter so far has been prototyping an Ansible connection plugin so that Ansible can run containerized in a pull model and still manage its own host

Now this is podracing! :discourse:

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Methanar posted:

My life exists in a state of constant fire.

Hail Satan - he invented networks.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Methanar posted:

I work for a newish big company that hasn't inflated all of its titles yet

My strategy is to start with the inflated title and just bloat it from there.

Select Executive Senior Engineering Partner III reporting for duty.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

madmatt112 posted:

My strategy is to start with the inflated title and just bloat it from there.

Select Executive Senior Engineering Partner III reporting for duty.

Well the technical interviews went well enough that one of them told me “you nailed it” soooo :shrug:

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Ok I’ll bite. Why is that process using thousand of percentage points?

Wait, is this to do with your 80-node scale up that overloaded your kubeapis?

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

I did it. Thanks to Methanar’s extreme coaching.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

“AWS - at least we’re cheaper than Azure!”

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

This is a really interesting discussion you two are having and I’m enjoying it, I hope it continues. I’m not being sarcastic - anytime someone can talk about technical roles and organizations in a way that includes the non-technical realities and externalities, it’s a good time.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

minato posted:

I'm way out of date, but no they do not. Had a basic coding exercise (read data from 2 files and conjoin them) as the screen, then on the day it was this (literally copied from what the recruiter sent me):

:words:

If I was asked “what is your favorite protocol and why?" in an interview I honestly don’t know what if say. What kind of question is that?
The answer should be “the one that provides the service that’s required” or “the only one of its class”.

I dunno, that question implies some really problematic assumptions about how an engineer should be so married to their work as an identity that they develop something like a “favourite protocol”. Bitch I don’t need to have a favourite protocol to do my job, do it well, and be an excellent professional.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Zapf Dingbat posted:

You know, this actually got me thinking about this company's whole setup. Like I said, this is my first cloud toucher job. I have more of a background in traditional networking, Linux admin, and VoIP. This is the first time I've had this much power and this much backend access. I also have a feeling that most people in this company are on second careers like I am.

The company I work for is a fintech that provides a service to banks and credit unions. Since it's financial data and our application needs access to the bank's core or mainframe, everything is very segregated. Usually the path is Bank's mainframe -> AWS VPN -> static routes through a VPC -> VM -> docker container on that VM. The container can talk to a DB that's hosted elsewhere in AWS, and the VMs can't talk to each other unless explicitly allowed by network routes and security groups.

It's always one container per instance. I'm not sure if there's a better way to do this because of the need for separation. I'm running into what seems like old world IT problems though, like having to manually shut down, upgrade, then start up a VM whenever development for that customer requires more CPU or RAM.

Over the last couple of months I've taught myself Terraform which has really helped me out in deploying new customers. However, the problem I run into is not having sufficient permissions to make changes using Terraform after the fact, which is why I was asking for advice on permissions earlier. This is making it a little hard to do the whole infrastructure as code thing.

Oh, also there's no automated updates to the docker images yet. What tends to happen is that the code gets worked on and the image gets updated in our repo, but there is no plan to update it unless they run into a problem on a specific customer, then they ask me to manually pull, relaunch, and monitor the container for a minute to make sure it doesn't throw any errors. There's nothing continuous about this, of course.

What would this thread do differently, if anything?

This is classic devops problem domain. I’m on mobile rn but I’ll throw my own two cents on the pile later. I’m sure someone else here is gonna write you a helpful essay in the meantime.

Also kubernetes is probably your friend here too

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Hadlock posted:

If it were me, I'd move this to kubernetes

Each container on a VM represents, effectively, a service for the company, right

I would setup each service as a kubernetes Deployment. Once you get the cluster up you should be able to create babbys first deployment via your favorite online tutorial. Converting your container to a k8s deployment should be pretty straightforward. Put Deployment of service Foo in it's own Namespace, maybe call it "Foo". You can specify the Namespace in the Deployment yaml file

Then convert the other service containers to their own Deployments in their own Namespaces

Once you're done with that, build a helm chart (kubernetes Deployment templating system)for each service, redeploy the services using helm.

Then, pick argocd or flux2 to update your Helm releases

voila, your skill set just doubled in value, and you have full modern CD

oh yeah see if you can squeeze in spinning up k8s clusters in terraform, but not strictly required for this exercise

Edit: the reason you're putting the different deployments in different Namespaces is that it fully separates the containers so they share no resources they can access, this is the same as putting a container on a separate VM

This also eliminates the need to run and manage VMs, manage SSH/SSM etc, and lines you up to scale up in the future (just change deployment replicas from 1 to 99 or whatever you need)

For monitoring and alerting, you can deploy Prometheus and Grafana which are gold standard helm charts to practice with and learn about helm

Alternatively, instead of doing namespaces for hardware segregation, just use taints+tolerations and anti affinities.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Hadlock is right, nvm what I said about namespaces vs affinity/taints

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Blinkz0rz posted:

These aren’t jobs, they’re basically lambdas that we want to spin up, field a set of http requests, and then spin down. The caveat is that we want them to be able to stay warm and scale out if we have more traffic but scale down to 0 if we don’t see traffic for a certain period of time.

Basically we just don’t want to have to manually manage deployments, services, HPAs, etc for things that mostly would just sit around but need to be available if requests come in.

What’s the difference between a job and running a lambda?? In my mind a lambda is just another word for a job, hmm. Pls 2 educate me if possible.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Methanar posted:

I haven't been able to do any kind of useful project work of my own in like, 2 months. It's just been non-stop emergency firefighting and dealing with interrupts and making sure nobody else is blocked.

This poo poo is killing me.

Ty for your service 😩

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Methanar posted:

I'm just dumb and stress myself out constantly.

3 years ago I did push back with the idea that issues with a dev environment are not wake me up in the middle of the night worthy. When I did that the sre escalating just went down the list paging people until he got his response. I thought it was bs that I looked bad when the senior at the time got woke up to deal with something I pushed back on. But whatever.

I wasn't about to tell the 15 people dogpiling complaining who are just trying to do their jobs that I'm going to compromise their deadlines and ability to do integration testing or whatever that are coming up with the end of the company quarter at the end of October. Real things that was mentioned to me. It reflects badly on everyone and is non productive for me to leave all of the dev groups in a bad spot when the thing broken is explicitly owned by us and I am on call. That's not how I do things.

Like I mentioned the spinnaker support situation is trash and severely neglected. It would be extremely unfair for me to have dumped this on somebody else that knows nothing about spinnaker and wasnt on call. It's just a bad situation and I was holding the bag when things went sideways.

I have a long list of things to be fixed. I just don't have enough time to throw at it. My own or otherwise. Idk

Sounds like you need about four more people on your team

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Jenkins sucks don’t ever use it

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Reject modernity, embrace monke. Return to computer-less paperwork.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Anybody ever used kaniko inside a Jenkins kubernetes agent, specifically to build an intermediate container? One job, one jenkinsfile, one Dockerfile. Kaniko builds off the dockerfile, and then I want to use that image to spin up a container and do the business-end of my task.

No matter how I do it, the Jenkins kubernetes agent doesn’t seem to be able to use that just-built image. Irrespective of whether I push it to a registry and tell Jenkins to pull ‘er down, or I tell it to just use the local image.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Hey I have a good idea, let's make a Thursday deadline to migrate every single loving thing in the entire platform to new subnets, and then at 3pm on Friday we'll turn off the old subnets.

What? not everybody managed to move every little noodly bit and bob into the new subnets, and make sure that their codebases and systems are set up to work with the new proxy systems?

Too fuckin' bad, kill it and take a weekend, fuckers!

WHAT THE CHRIST

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Like, what's a grace period? Do these idiots realize how much they've broken across the entire platform? Setting us all up for a lovely weekend too.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

necrobobsledder posted:

Who decides these limits exactly anyway?

Somehow I feel the answer would only make us more unhappy.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Vulture Culture posted:

… I'll compile eBPF bytecode if I have to.

What a flex

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Vulture Culture posted:

Unfortunately, there's no way for me to defend this by saying "I was writing dtrace probes 15 years ago" without it also sounding like a flex, so I think all I can say is "this tech all sounds a lot harder than it is"

Bro come on now I know you IRL whether you’re aware or not and that’s all I’ll say about that lmao. You are an outlier on the high end of the bell curve, but you still have a point that it all looks much more intimidating from the outside.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

The Fool posted:

I didn't click any links.

Decent thread title

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Docjowles posted:

Tbh when my second kid arrived, my motivation for career advancement came to a screeching halt. I had always been looking for promotions or a job working on cooler poo poo than what I was doing before. I had read some books and posts about how you might enter career troughs where you just hang out and don't even try to progress, and that's ok, but it never resonated with me. Until all of a sudden, I had to put 99% of my energy into my home life, and it resonated hard. Second kid wasn't incrementally more challenging but like an order of magnitude more challenging, for reasons I won't get into in a computer dork thread. Now that both kids are in grade school, the energy and motivation to look for new things is coming back. But I deeply understand the "rest and vest" mentality in a way I never did in my late 20s/early 30s.

What you're describing sounds pretty boring and backwards but it's also easy money as you say. And that's totally fine. Especially as you get through the whole 2nd kid thing. Which is a huge loving thing! Don't ever feel bad about prioritizing family over work, imo. Unless your goal is to be a Principal engineer at a FAANG or something (which, hell, they're currently laying off everyone anyway), you can catch up when you're ready. Or make the dreaded jump to management if you decide you'd rather talk to people than to computers. Which I've also done, with very mixed feelings.

You’ve given me some measure of peace around my own 2nd-kid-work-skid. I have the most interesting job of my career, with the brightest coworkers and best compensation, and I’ve been so conflicted because family life has demanded so much from me lately. Thanks for the reassurance that I’m not crazy.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Hughmoris posted:

Originally posted in a Linux thread but thinking I might get more traction here:

I have a rookie question on kubernetes and linux. I created a simple nginx pod:
code:
kubectl run nginx --image=nginx
The exercise then asks "Get nginx pod's ip created in previous step, use a temp busybox image to wget its '/'
code:
kubectl run busybox --image=busybox --rm -it --restart=Never -- wget -O- 10.1.1.131:80
My question is: why don't I need to include the --command option there? The code above runs just fine as is. It also runs just fine if I add --command like so:
code:
kubectl run busybox --image=busybox --rm --command -it --restart=Never -- wget -O- 10.1.1.131:80
When, if ever, is that --command parameter needed?

Dockerfiles define a default command that an image runs if not told otherwise. The —command parameter is a method of telling the image otherwise.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Perfect, now I have a watertight excuse for my sloppy work.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

FISHMANPET posted:

We have a customer facing system, and an "agile" ticket tool. And one of our groups insists every interaction (even with internal tools) flows through a request form in their customer facing system, which creates a ticket in that system. Then they manually copy the details into our agile tool, put a reference into the customer ticket, and resolve the ticket.

lol :psyduck:

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Just write your own web app from scratch to frontend composable provisioning requests and display status query results. Hook it up to your oauth provider. Backend is even easier, you write your own API that proxies API calls to your cloud provider(s), make it in node or even better flask. Bing bong so simple.

Make sure you don’t document anything, and they’ll never be able to fire you.

Now, I told two truths and a lie about what I did at my previous job. Good luck

PS make sure you give your API service account write permissions on everything it can touch to reduce the busywork of RBAC management.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

12 rats tied together posted:

pretty sure we're coworkers actually and you still work here last i knew

It was YOU that ratted me out to the security principal, I knew it. I’m signing you up for so many camgirl websites now

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

kaaj posted:

How big are your gitops monorepos? Some smart heads in the org I work with came up with the design that after a year has

❯ git rev-list --objects --all | wc -l

So I’m curious how it compares.

100% running this on every repo I have read access to tomorrow, out of now-massive curiosity

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

The Fool posted:

we have a repo sprawl problem, so I don't think any of our repos would out up big numbers but now I'm curious how many we actually have

“How many git repos do we have?” is one of those seemingly innocuous questions that, when asked about a large enough org, at a high enough level, ends up burning hundreds of man-hours to produce the most disjointed excel spreadsheet you have ever laid eyes on.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Hadlock posted:

I'm still not convinced data engineering is somehow separate. What specifically non operational task do data engineers do that doesn't have deep overlap with either DevOps and traditional analytics groups doing rudimentary ETL

They run the Hadoop and Cassandra so I don’t have to.

I run the kubernetes so they don’t have to.

Then they run their Hadoop on my Kubernetes and now nobody understands what the gently caress is going on.

Anyways our stock hit an all time high today

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

lol we need another programming language, and it should be built on YAML

OK

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

quote:

it’s not a fit on protocol + no TTL settings.

IDGI why isn’t it a fit?

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Junkiebev posted:

Because I’d have to rely on a scrape config which somehow only took the “latest” results. Is that a thing?

I think that’s the idea - every time you scrape, you get the most recent data point, and store it with a timestamp. Repeat ad nauseam and eventually you have a TSDB.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

We terminate at the LB because it’s better for us to manage the cert infrastructure and expose simple bindings to our devs than to expect them to roll their own bullshit across how ever many hundreds of microservices we run. Everything inside the environment is plain http and nobody has to gently caress around with SSL connections and all that headache when talking to other internal services and troubleshooting them.

Probably more secure to keep it centrally managed, standardized, and observable than to keep tabs on every dev team’s cert implementations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Revenge is a dish best served confidential, integral, and available :hai: