Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BennyGsGhost
Jun 27, 2002

Low P/B or Bust
Pillbug
I'm hoping this is the best place for this question. I'm trying to setup a small cluster to get a better handle on ELK and automation/management (using Ansible/etc). Right now I'm just running VMs on VMWare Player, and I have baby's first two machine cluster up and running.

Is there a better tool I can use to accomplish this? Would something like Vagrant allow me to easily spin up machines (ideally five or so, I think), or should I just scale the VM setup?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BennyGsGhost
Jun 27, 2002

Low P/B or Bust
Pillbug

Vulture Culture posted:

Depends what you're trying to do. If you're looking to have a bunch of VMs set up so that you can test a bunch of different playbooks corresponding to various server roles, for instance, you might be better off with something like Vagrant and Test Kitchen with the Ansible provisioner. If you're trying to set up clusters of interrelated services, stick with how you're already doing things for your sanity's sake.

I took some doing but I got my vagrant cluster up and working with ansible, it's pretty cool even if building a vagrant file to accomplish what I wanted wasn't as easy as I thought - thanks for the advice.