Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

So I'm starting to experiment with Docker in Server 2016 / Windows 10 AE; we're a development shop (I"m on the infrastructure/engineering side) and I see the potential for seriously helping out our development team in spinning up environments for testing/troubleshooting/development. Awesome.

I have some questions - Windows-centric (but likely have similar concepts on the Linux side).

- Is there a book someone can recommend that covers a lot of the conceptual broad strokes
- For doing a build via dockerfile; when is that executed? e.g. I'm looking at a dockerfile that installs SQL server; does that get run when you build from the dockerfile, or when the container is run?
- Is there a recommended workflow for getting data into containers in a reliable way? I'm looking to have a container that pulls from a SQL server backup file; is this best done in the dockerfile, or elsewhere?

I'm sure most of these are well documented for the linux side; but I think since this is new in the windows world, it seems there's a minimum of documentation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

I'm coming from an infrastructure background (lots and lots of ops), with a lot of experience with scripting and automation (PowerShell, python, and some C#)

Tomorrow I have a freaking 6hr panel interview for a Senior DevOps Engineer position, including VTC with team members across the US, and leading a roundtable discussion on a topic of my chosing (I'm covering Server 2016 / Docker and managing it with a custom API for shared development environments, complete with a working demo on a laptop).

Just a bit nervous as its rare that I do an interview on this scale; the group of guys actually seem great, and normally I'd laugh if someone asked for an interview of that duration, but I'm going to give it a shot. Gets me out of my comfort zone too, which is cool.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Walked posted:

I'm coming from an infrastructure background (lots and lots of ops), with a lot of experience with scripting and automation (PowerShell, python, and some C#)

Tomorrow I have a freaking 6hr panel interview for a Senior DevOps Engineer position, including VTC with team members across the US, and leading a roundtable discussion on a topic of my chosing (I'm covering Server 2016 / Docker and managing it with a custom API for shared development environments, complete with a working demo on a laptop).

Just a bit nervous as its rare that I do an interview on this scale; the group of guys actually seem great, and normally I'd laugh if someone asked for an interview of that duration, but I'm going to give it a shot. Gets me out of my comfort zone too, which is cool.

Holy poo poo that was a brutal interview.

Yes throw me a laptop and have me play code golf with PowerShell while streaming to staff across the country and I'm on projector.

I mean I got all their technical exercise questions done/right but that's so far outside of my comfort zone it was mentally fatiguing as heck.

And then I had to present.

Smart guys and well organized devops team though, even if a thorough interview.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Are there any CI systems that people have had good success with? I'm looking at alternatives to Jenkins that we can run on-prem (some projects have this as a requirement).

I have an email out to the Travis CI guys for enterprise pricing; but I'm also looking at GoCD; what other options are reasonable for on-prem work?

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Methanar posted:

What's wrong with Jenkins?

Just doing my due diligence; I'm our cloud services 'lead' but have started taking on a role of supporting some development teams as well - a couple of which are new contracts/projects without a CI/CD platform in place yet.

So I'm just making sure that we're having this conversation - even if it's super brief - before it's too late to even discuss.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

The things you guys are saying echo so true to me.

I'm technically a "senior cloud engineer" but also our DevOps Practice Lead (it's not a title yet it somehow still is!)

Unfortunately rather than being a function of enabling teams to better own their products through the lifecycle at all layers, it's turned into "empowering developers to feel more comfortable chucking all manner of issues to others because we're all DevOps now"

Burnout rings very true

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Hadlock posted:

Favorite secret store system? Our vault setup just rolled over and management doesn't trust it, also the guy who set it up didn't have any backups anywhere so looking for something else.

Check out AWS's new Secrets Manager maybe?
https://aws.amazon.com/blogs/aws/aws-secrets-manager-store-distribute-and-rotate-credentials-securely/

but we use Vault happily

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

mr_package posted:

I've inherited a Jenkins system that looks pretty neglected. Seems like it's been pretty ad hoc with devs adding tests, nodes, etc. as needed and no one 'owns' this server so there's a ton of cruft and nobody in charge of cleaning it up. And of course Jenkins itself is effectively unmaintained. Is it SOP to have devs log in and add whatever they want to the CI or is someone supposed to be a gatekeeper of sorts to ensure stuff is getting added correctly, is useful, running on the right node(s), etc.? If no one is taking responsibility for it doesn't it just eventually become useless (old tests no one cares about keep running and probably failing for example), no maintenance is getting done etc.

There are (at least) three different teams using this server-- is it better to set up each team with their own Jenkins (or other CI server)? Or, since Jenkins is mostly queuing stuff on other nodes, it doesn't really matter and we can just shove everything onto a single Jenkins and each team manages their own nodes? I'm wondering if, for example QA is better served using some other tool, or if everyone should just be forced to use the same system. Which is probably ok, they're using it now, right?

If you were going to set up a new CI would you use Jenkins or is there something slightly better these days?

I was in a similar spot. I pushed Concourse to our organization and have been happy. The multi-tenancy for projects is much much better than Jenkins. It's got a steep learning curve though

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

necrobobsledder posted:

Another method is to merge to master in a more mono-repo style approach and what's live is what's in master, and all other branches and tags are not meant to be deployed automatically anywhere. You might deploy a feature branch targeting a non-prod environment if you're experimenting (deploy feature-idk-wtf-is-going-on to funzone) and multiple releases are developed like they're separate features. This is not git-flow either (where's that develop branch we always base off of for releases?) and has caused less pilot error than git-flow conventions in operations work.

Little late but this is how we approach things. It works pretty well for us.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Warbird posted:

So my new workplace is pretty nice and I got a pay raise from the last position. Everything's great except the fact that Github is blocked on the network for christ knows what reason so is the specific tool I was hired to work with. I've been advised to do research on my personal laptop and just email myself the code snippets I'm interested in.

Fukkin what. This is still a net improvement, but what are we doing here people?

The gently caress.

I've run into similar when I was working on a DoD installation once; where I'd research poo poo from home and then email myself PowerShell snippets; way back in the day. It was real dumb.

But this sounds even less logical. I don't understand. And I'm normally pretty understanding of corporate policy and restriction.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Anyone using CircleCI heavily?

We're piloting and generally pleased - about to pay into them but want to see if there are any worts I'm missing first

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

It's been a while since I did a survey of the field for CI/CD systems; just changed jobs and get to do it again.

Any new players in the last 1-2 years worth checking out? We were on CircleCI at my last place and it was fine; dont mind using it again but want to be sure I'm not missing anything making waves more recently.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

I've been using Drone at my work. I like it, especially when paired with Gitea.

Drone always stuck out to me as a sweet option; but never heard anyone else using it.

I’ll give it another peek

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

12 rats tied together posted:

the question at the heart of devops is "what if we didn't have to do all that stupid bullshit?" which serves the dual function of highlighting all of the stupid bullshit as well as making enemies of people whose entire career is doing stupid bullshit

Might put this on my resume tbh

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Hadlock posted:

Are you actually running windows containers in production

Not to original poster to the question, and not currently but I did some consulting for a pretty large name running Windows containers in production.

Hint: it's a shitshow and dreadful to work with at scale and I did not accept any follow-on work after the initial engagement

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Junkiebev posted:

Is there a tool for beautifying terraform hcl? I’m inheriting a dog’s breakfast with inconsistent *everything* and would prefer not to have to rewrite a bunch of it so as to be legible

hclfmt is around: https://github.com/fatih/hclfmt

however, the generally used version (above) of the tool has a major bug with consecutively commented lines and also was abandoned (but mostly works fine)

I found, buried in one of the hashi repos, they seem to have either rewritten or forked the tool above (tbh I didnt really look closely), but you gotta compile yourself:
https://github.com/hashicorp/hcl/tree/main/cmd/hclfmt

this version fixes the issues I had

Walked fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Mar 5, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Is that reasonable to go from 0 to 60 on K8s

No

22 Eargesplitten posted:

given that I have no social life or family?

…maybe

Protip: O’Reilly Safari (or whatever they rebranded it to) has EXCEPTIONAL live training sessions (instructor led, live) which are way above the price point of the service (plus books - which is why I joined way back when).

They have several CKA courses that run periodically and are genuinely solid and worthwhile. Plural sight is great but nothing beats asking questions to an expert, live