Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Deep in my dreams and I still hear her callin'
If you're alone, I'll come home.

I work at a school and am a one-man show with regards to writing various small applications and managing the deployment workflow of said applications.

I have been spending the last few weeks learning docker and "trial and erroring" my way through that learning process. I really like the approach Docker takes and I have approached the point where I need to have several containers running, with most of them exposing ports, and some of them needing to link to each other.

For reference I have tried to start mapping out my environment:

Can anyone recommend some approaches to managing all of this? Should I just write it all as shell scripts, or maybe use docker-compose?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Deep in my dreams and I still hear her callin'
If you're alone, I'll come home.

minato posted:

If it all fits on one machine, just use shell scripts, i.e. a hard-coded startup order, hard-coded ports, etc. You don't need to overcomplicate things with service discovery or multi-host yet.

Data-only containers can be a bit of a pain, and always made me a bit nervous because if you nuke the last reference to the data, it's reclaimed by docker and removed. I'd avoid them entirely and just make a regular directory and bind-mount it inside the containers that need to access it.

Thanks. Your second point has kinda been ratting around in the back of my head recently, and I think I am going to go with your suggestion.