Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

Docjowles posted:

While true, at least there is a record of what the hell was done, when, and by who. Without me clicking around the console or sifting through a billion cloud trail events.

Rolling back changes via iac is also a zillion times easier and better than the console especially depending on some resource types

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
You know I misread your first post and thought you wanted to make a quiz for interview candidates but now I realize you're asking for help. Maybe that guy did too and got mad cause coding interviews are stupid

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
I refuse to acknowledge cloudformations existence

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
My favorite thing about cloudformation back when I used it was when a stack deployment failed and you couldn't just edit the bad parameter and had to go delete and relaunch it. Man that was fun. I think they fixed that now but I'm never gonna use cloudformation to find out

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

12 rats tied together posted:

that happens when a stack fails to create from scratch, it rolls back to create_failed, and yes you must manually delete it because the alternative is that cloudformation authoritatively deletes your api objects without your consent which would be bad

you should not be experiencing create_failed very often, it's usually a sign of someone holding something wrong

No, I'm not saying I want cfn to delete it for me. I'm saying I want to edit it because I fat fingered the wrong thing in a single parameter and the whole thing failed and instead of being able to just edit it I have to delete and start over.

Call it someone doing something dumb/wrong and it shouldn't happen much, sure, if you want, I'm not perfect. But it happens and it's annoying as hell.

I'm sure it's some api limitation or something so it is what it is.

I prefer terraform and that's what I use. If someone else wants to use cloudformation then that's cool

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

Dependency management, shared state for changes, change atomicity and rollbacks, are the big three. For example: you have a bunch of s3 buckets. The buckets have a notification configuration that publishes new object messages to a bunch of SQS queues. You have an app that runs in ECS/EKS that needs to know where the SQS queues are and it needs to connect to its own database that it uses for state tracking, lets assume the app is comprised of simple worker instances or something.

Isn't the best way to split this state up by application? So the aws, s3, and container stuff is all in one state for each app.

And then isn't this like an ideal use case for custom modules? Change the module and then trigger an apply on all the envs using it? I get that trigger apply on all the envs is kind of a loaded statement but it could be scripted to be quicker than manually running tf apply 1 to n times.

Unless I just don't understand what you mean. Or what I'm talking about. That's possible

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

FISHMANPET posted:

I doubt anyone is excited about the source code management or project tracking features of Azure DevOps. I use DevOps Pipelines with GitHub Enterprise which works quite well.

Is there any indications that they're working on getting more "Enterprise" features into Actions? Some of the approval and resource protection features are pretty critical for some stuff I've built, and I just don't see any equivalents in Actions currently.

Man it's ridiculous that you can't pause a pipeline till someone manually clicks deploy. In gitlab you just put when: manual and done. In github actions you need a 3rd party action that pauses the pipeline and consumes minutes the whole time. Or you can use the enterprise feature 'environments' which works but is still not as simple as Gitlab.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
https://www.reddit.com/r/RedditEng/comments/11xx5o0/you_broke_reddit_the_piday_outage/

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

Another issue is if you have to hire a bunch of cloud touchers you end up hiring a bunch of people who read a lot of cloud vendor marketing materials. You'll end up with a micro-account based strategy that makes sense to nobody and requires dedicated admin/accounting staff to pay your bill and janitor the cost allocation tags across 20+ aws accounts to make sure they're being applied to resources correctly and then you need a few more security people to set up Security Hub Guard Duty Whatever The gently caress in all 20+ of your accounts and then that means s3 logs, cross account permissions, log forwarding, probably you have some collector that ingests all the logs into a product the security team bought that runs compliance scans, and now you have tons of junk logs that only exist for a compliance check to run so you're janitoring 20+ accounts worth of s3 lifecycle policies, etc.

Not discounting what you're saying but wanted to point out that aws orgs and control tower can make 'do thing in a bunch of accounts' pretty quick and easy

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
I thought weave works made flux itself? Not just their (overpriced) front-end. Wonder if they're gonna open source that now

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

The Fool posted:

FluxCD has always been open source? I think the bigger question is who's going to be maintaining it going forward.

No I mean open-source their gui. They have a free one but it's pretty gimped compared to the enterprise version

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
Ah, I misunderstood something in the ceos linkedin post about this I think

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
so weaveworks made this thing called flamingo that basically melds Argo and flux together. Not sure if it would let you get around any of those issues but if you wanna make things even weirder it's there

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

Hadlock posted:

Flux: better overall product, batteries included solution, poor/lovely observability involves deep knowledge of the system to troubleshoot

ArgoCD: critical parts of the system are missing, you need to use an unsupported plugin or build your own to get what flux has it if the box. Pros: observability is very very high, and the average developer can wrap their head around it in half an hour, the UI rocks

I just started messing around with both of these. What does flux do better and what critical parts of Argo are missing? I tried to look for a write up or something before asking but it seems everything is just marketing for one or the other

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
I ask chat gpt stuff i know but can never remember so I know when it's wrong.

Earlier today I had 200 numbers I wanted to add up and I tried chat gpt, gemini, and copilot. I asked each of them to add the numbers twice and I got 6 different numbers. I got the right number from sum in google sheets but lol

Docjowles posted:

I would also say that yeah, if you have never worked with someone like this, you've been lucky or sheltered. Not everyone finds tech fascinating and wants to deeply understand it, or cares about climbing the career ladder. For a lot of people it's just a job like any other and they just want to get their pay check and log off to do whatever is more important to them in life.

More of these people are popping up I'd say with all the noise made about how much money you could make by touching the right computers.

I've worked with plenty of people who are somewhere in the middle of care about all this crap and don't care. They're awesome at their job, they know all the things but they don't look at computers or game consoles or anything more than a phone in their free time.

Resdfru fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Feb 28, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
Devops engineer imo

Let us know if it ends up being open to us